iPhone MagSafe mount to replace OEM charging pad.

Bobby, thank you for your very innovative solution. If your generous offer is still available, I'd be interested in getting one as well. And I'd be happy to compensate you or your favorite charity for your time and effort.
DM me.

What is everyone using for adhesives here? I used 3M Scotch-Mount (I think; not at home) and I'm finding that on a hot day it's not as strong as the magnets in the charger.

What is everyone using for adhesives here? I used 3M Scotch-Mount (I think; not at home) and I'm finding that on a hot day it's not as strong as the magnets in the charger.
Double Sided Tape Heavy Duty, Waterproof Mounting Foam Tape, 16.4ft Length, 0.94in Width, Strong Adhesive Tape for Car, Wall, LED Strip Light, Home/Office Decor, Made of 3M VHB Tape https://a.co/d/aGLa2OT

I don't want to go off topic, but whenever I do wedge my phone in there and wirelessly charge, it gets super hot and charging stops until it cools down. Is this normal?

I don't want to go off topic, but whenever I do wedge my phone in there and wirelessly charge, it gets super hot and charging stops until it cools down. Is this normal?
Your phone will stop charging in order to protect its battery when it gets super hot. I've never had that happen in the car, but I've left my phone out on a table in the sun a few times and had it shut down completely from the heat.

Another reason I prefer to use the wedge and a MagSafe. Also another reason why I didn’t design my wedge with a cut out for the MagSafe itself. It allows for some airflow all the way around the phone.

Another reason I prefer to use the wedge and a MagSafe. Also another reason why I didn’t design my wedge with a cut out for the MagSafe itself. It allows for some airflow all the way around the phone.
Yep ... The wireless charging pad in my previous Telluride used to overheat the phone. If I used the phone for CarPlay at the same time as charging, the phone would shut off and display a temp symbol. I'd have to hold the phone up to the AC vents to cool it down so it would turn back on. Some manufacturers are now putting fans on the wireless charging pads for this reason.

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
1. It is very easy and quick to position the phone.
2. The phone charges at the maximum possible rate without wires (15W).
3. The console cover can close while the phone is in place and charging.
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
I would love to purchase 2 from you, if you wouldn't mind . The native charger destroys the Apple silicone case anyway, so I was always looking for something that would pry the rubber bubble on Lucid's open a bit more (yet, still left to solve the concern everyone else has had with the stupid thing not working). It further bothered me that, for around 150k for a car, they couldn't toss a second charger in the passenger side bay. I mean, really? In mass production, it's like, what, $3? What charger did you use though, as that looks all black, and I've not seen Apple make an all black one.. Is that wedge sized in such a way that it must be a very specific size magsafe disc, or does it lay on the surface of the wedge?
Thanks.

I received the new charging pad yesterday and it works great!

I would love to purchase 2 from you, if you wouldn't mind . The native charger destroys the Apple silicone case anyway, so I was always looking for something that would pry the rubber bubble on Lucid's open a bit more (yet, still left to solve the concern everyone else has had with the stupid thing not working). It further bothered me that, for around 150k for a car, they couldn't toss a second charger in the passenger side bay. I mean, really? In mass production, it's like, what, $3? What charger did you use though, as that looks all black, and I've not seen Apple make an all black one.. Is that wedge sized in such a way that it must be a very specific size magsafe disc, or does it lay on the surface of the wedge?
Thanks.
There’s a bunch of pictures and info on the first page of this thread.

Apologies, I only saw (and still only see) the one pic - but from what I've put together, it looks like it's surface mount (which on a bigger iphone, the camera is like a "wart" anyway, so surface mount is best anyway). I found a couple that have a nice little light ring on them so it's easy to see in the dark.

Would it be possible to get two of those wedges (one for each charging bay)?

Apologies, I only saw (and still only see) the one pic - but from what I've put together, it looks like it's surface mount (which on a bigger iphone, the camera is like a "wart" anyway, so surface mount is best anyway). I found a couple that have a nice little light ring on them so it's easy to see in the dark.

Would it be possible to get two of those wedges (one for each charging bay)?
DM me. Thanks

I wanted to post some details on what I'm setting up, in case others wanted to.... refine a bit. :).

Bobby, being the cool guy he is, is sending me two of his 3D Printed fixes to Lucid's lapse in Qi charging judgement...

I thought it would be nice (at night) to see charging status and see where to target when putting your phone in the bay, so I was looking through all the options to find a charging puck that had an LED ring on it that's on when idle & throbs when charging. Braided cable instead of rubber is a plus as well, but not as much of a requirement since they'll never get moved. Unfortunately, most of them are white (ugh).

Then I found this... Aluminum, braided cable, and LED status that lights when idle, and throbs when charging in a similar white to the Lucid HVAC control glow:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGR552KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, you may be looking at that and going "But the LEDs are under it, so when mounted to the wedge, you'll never see them... That's where this comes in. Instead of double-stick tape, I'm planning on using these:
Their transparency allows the above LED glow to shine through on the edges (use the wider ones, attach to the pucks, then use a blade/exacto knife to trim them to exact size).

So, if you're wanting to do this, and have a little bit of a "light guide" to show you where to slap your phone - this setup might just be the thing for you. ;)

Back