iPhone MagSafe mount to replace OEM charging pad.

I wanted to post some details on what I'm setting up, in case others wanted to.... refine a bit. :).

Bobby, being the cool guy he is, is sending me two of his 3D Printed fixes to Lucid's lapse in Qi charging judgement...

I thought it would be nice (at night) to see charging status and see where to target when putting your phone in the bay, so I was looking through all the options to find a charging puck that had an LED ring on it that's on when idle & throbs when charging. Braided cable instead of rubber is a plus as well, but not as much of a requirement since they'll never get moved. Unfortunately, most of them are white (ugh).

Then I found this... Aluminum, braided cable, and LED status that lights when idle, and throbs when charging in a similar white to the Lucid HVAC control glow:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGR552KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, you may be looking at that and going "But the LEDs are under it, so when mounted to the wedge, you'll never see them... That's where this comes in. Instead of double-stick tape, I'm planning on using these:
Their transparency allows the above LED glow to shine through on the edges (use the wider ones, attach to the pucks, then use a blade/exacto knife to trim them to exact size).

So, if you're wanting to do this, and have a little bit of a "light guide" to show you where to slap your phone - this setup might just be the thing for you. ;)
Do you not like the twraps solution? I love it, and haven’t looked back.

That said, one helpful note is that with CarPlay you don’t need a light to tell you if it’s charging; it will show you on the CarPlay screen.

I did not care for the TWraps solution because it basically sacrificed the entire cubby. And the lighting on the disc was for the desire to have a visible guide to where to place your phone (charging status was a bonus). And of course, CarPlay battery status only shows when CarPlay is the active application (switching to native screen functions then makes it invisible - I wanted consistent, reliable, and easy to find in the dark). ;)

Do you not like the twraps solution? I love it, and haven’t looked back.

That said, one helpful note is that with CarPlay you don’t need a light to tell you if it’s charging; it will show you on the CarPlay screen.
Agree. In think the twraps solution is elegant and functional. And it allows 2 phones to be charged.

I did not care for the TWraps solution because it basically sacrificed the entire cubby. And the lighting on the disc was for the desire to have a visible guide to where to place your phone (charging status was a bonus). And of course, CarPlay battery status only shows when CarPlay is the active application (switching to native screen functions then makes it invisible - I wanted consistent, reliable, and easy to find in the dark). ;)
The twraps solution can be lifted to access the entire cubby, fwiw. I have found it does not make accessing the cubby significantly harder.

I just installed my @Bobby wedge solution today, and I love it. I had the TWRAPS there previously, but I think this solution is a better use of the space, as well as a faster charge.

Thanks, @Bobby !

The twraps solution can be lifted to access the entire cubby, fwiw. I have found it does not make accessing the cubby significantly harder.
I know it can come out, but it's in the way. It basically renders the gorgeous wood rolltop useless.

I know it can come out, but it's in the way. It basically renders the gorgeous wood rolltop useless.
You can still close the roll top over it and the phone that is resting on it.

You can still close the roll top over it and the phone that is resting on it.
So, I didn’t realize that, but I still find it annoying that you have to remove it to get to the actual cubby. There’s no place to place it while you’re digging in the cubby. To me, this solution makes the original charger locations actually useful again, while maintaining all other design intent concepts.

So, I didn’t realize that, but I still find it annoying that you have to remove it to get to the actual cubby. There’s no place to place it while you’re digging in the cubby. To me, this solution makes the original charger locations actually useful again, while maintaining all other design intent concepts.
Yea I like it because I can hide stuff inside and it looks like there's nothing under and I'm not trying to hide something by sliding the center closed

Has anyone tried disassembling the center console to just replace the charger under the existing plastic surface? It seems like it should be possible. Usually interior trim pieces can be removed with a minimal number of screws and trim clips.

Has anyone tried disassembling the center console to just replace the charger under the existing plastic surface? It seems like it should be possible. Usually interior trim pieces can be removed with a minimal number of screws and trim clips.
There’s a YouTube video of it posted here previously. It seems very doable.

I'm not sure why you think it has to be removed to access the cubby underneath. The front of the TWraps charger just lifts up at an angle and you can place or remove items in the cubby below and then you just set it back down. No need to unplug or remove it at all.

I'm not sure why you think it has to be removed to access the cubby underneath. The front of the TWraps charger just lifts up at an angle and you can place or remove items in the cubby below and then you just set it back down. No need to unplug or remove it at all.
Yeah, I do find it really convenient. It would be worth watching their install video just to make sure you understand how it works @kristiandg

I just installed the Twraps Magsafe charger but it does not seem to fit the console as shown in their installation video. It is in sliding position and moves forward despite several attempts by me to make it snug neatly in place. Phone is sliding down all the time.
Checking to see if this is a failed install before I return. Thanks

Cc @TWRAPS

I just installed the Twraps Magsafe charger but it does not seem to fit the console as shown in their installation video. It is in sliding position and moves forward despite several attempts by me to make it snug neatly in place. Phone is sliding down all the time.

Cc @TWRAPS
Got a pic?

Cc @TWRAPS
Please take a pic or video. Mine works great.

I have gone through several iterations of improving the useless wireless charging pad for my iPhone 12 ProMax in my GT. With the OEM charging solution, it is difficult to find the exact right spot for the phone, and even when I do so, it charges at only 5W. My previous solutions were working fine, but not as well integrated as I would've liked. Here are my requirements:
1. It is very easy and quick to position the phone.
2. The phone charges at the maximum possible rate without wires (15W).
3. The console cover can close while the phone is in place and charging.
4. It kind of looks like it was supposed to be there (i.e. no big suction or cupholder mounts sticking out).

My solution was to make a wedge shaped piece of 3-D plastic and mount a black iPhone Mag Safe charger (https://a.co/d/2JS2fJw) to it. Everything is put together with double-sided 3M tape and thus reversible. The phone holds on magnetically and road vibrations do not dislodge it.. This design satisfies all of the criteria!

Here's a picture of it for those interested. If anyone wants the G-code to print the little wedge or would like me to print one for them, please let me know. This will work for any iPhone 12 or higher.

View attachment 6456
Hi Bobby May I ask you to make me one too? Please? Thank you!

Bobby, if possible I would like to get a couple of the wedges. Happy to DM you, but how?
@Bobby if it’s not too much trouble would you please send me a couple wedges? I am unable to DM you for some reason.

Back