Insurance company claim experience.

Coho

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Grand Touring, Mach E
I recently experienced a minor brush on the right quarter panel of my GT as I was approaching a charging parking area. The culprit left the scene. The damage includes a small dent and some paint scrape as well as a piece of loose flashing. I got an estimate from a Lucid approved shop at $4800 and from State Farm at $2400. And they put a check in the mail before I was even aware. Anyway I am surprised at the discrepancy between estimates and payments. I have seen others mention it. If State Farm persists with this spread, I need plans to walk. Looking for other insurance companies that folks have had good experiences in their dealings (if there is such a thing). Ive been with State Farm for 50yrs and this is my first claim. I little shocked I must say. My annual fees with SF are about $2K.

I recently experienced a minor brush on the right quarter panel of my GT as I was approaching a charging parking area. The culprit left the scene. The damage includes a small dent and some paint scrape as well as a piece of loose flashing. I got an estimate from a Lucid approved shop at $4800 and from State Farm at $2400. And they put a check in the mail before I was even aware. Anyway I am surprised at the discrepancy between estimates and payments. I have seen others mention it. If State Farm persists with this spread, I need plans to walk. Looking for other insurance companies that folks have had good experiences in their dealings (if there is such a thing). Ive been with State Farm for 50yrs and this is my first claim. I little shocked I must say. My annual fees with SF are about $2K.
PURE was trivial to deal with and never had any complaints about pricing.

Came across this as I search for what to do about this incident.

I am dealing with PURE at present. They are great and never try to nickel and dime you. They cost more, but you actually have full insurance when you need it unlike other insurance companies.

I am dealing with PURE at present. They are great and never try to nickel and dime you. They cost more, but you actually have full insurance when you need it unlike other insurance companies.
My quote from PURE is almost 3 times more than State Farm.

Did you get the insurance of person that hit you? By law the are supposed to make you whole and pay for depreciation

Did you get the insurance of person that hit you? By law the are supposed to make you whole and pay for depreciation
Unfortunately I was not even aware of the brush. We linked to the charger and walked to the opposite side of the car and saw the injury. The other party was gone.

You get a discount with them after 5 years, then a significant discount after 10 years.

You may pay more, but you don't have to worry about them refusing to pay what it costs to fix your car. Isn't that what insurance is all about. Otherwise, it may cost you less at other companies, but you are actually getting less coverage.

It gets a bit cheaper after a while, plus if you have multiple lines, but yeah they aren’t the cheapest in town. They do actually cover you tho.

Thus far I would not recommend Esurance, initially they were communicative but have since been slow and they totally screwed up my rental car reservation, booking it for the wrong state. My car has been in the shop 3 weeks for a scraped bumper and they did their estimate based on a Genesis G70 with labor rates $40 an hour. Lucid labor rates are $175, same as Aston Martin. Of course there is an adjustment process, but their claims adjuster sent me some email not identifying himself as the person who was doing the claims adjustment estimate, and asked if he could come to my house to see the car (it’s in the shop! Why would a dumb insurance company not tell adjuster where the car was located??), so I thought it was a scam, but it turns out he was legitimate, just utterly clueless. So I sent him another email asking him to try and see the car ASAP as I have a road trip planned for June 19 and really needed the car back by then, and he never responded. Esurance mailed me a check for their paltry estimate minus the deductible and has not communicated with me beyond that about any adjustment and I’ve received no further updates from the Lucid shop either since I called last Friday, all I can tell is my car is sitting there taken apart with no progress. It’s very unlikely I’ll stick with Esurance unless this gets resolved quickly, I’ll reach out to them today.

Came across this as I search for what to do about this incident.
Funny you posted this, I just spoke with the claims adjuster and he said they’re still waiting for Esurance to approve the labor rates which is exactly what State Farm is getting sued over. If they refuse to cover or make me lose weeks of time waiting for their “approval”, when there’s only one choice and one option to approve, and it’s the only Lucid certified shop in the region, then they won’t be my insurer after this. Their primary contact was great when I first filed the claim, she was very responsive but if it comes down to them nickel and diming when there’s not even an alternative choice for repair or costs, then I certainly don’t want to have this level of delay and aggravation for any future claims, so yeah…I’ll be looking into Pure as my insurer in the future.

It gets a bit cheaper after a while, plus if you have multiple lines, but yeah they aren’t the cheapest in town. They do actually cover you tho.
It would be extremely difficult to be the best on claims and the cheapest on premiums. I only recently heard of Pure and noticed the sign on a building on Scottsdale road just a bit north of the Design Studio.

As the Tammany Hall politician George Washington Plunkitt said at the commencement of the twentieth century: "Youse pays your money and youse takes your chances".

I had a fairly recent claims experience with a more favorable outcome. My car was totaled in a 3-car collision where one of the other drivers was deemed at fault. It was an Air GT. I recovered a little over $128k from my insurance company. I opted not to contest it as it was about $4k shy of what I expected given that I had owned the car for 6 months and had put around 2500 miles on it. I'm with USAA (insured by them for over 30 years). This wasn't the first claim, but the first major one. USAA probably had an easier time given that they would be subrogating to get recovery from the other driver's insurance (a kid with less than 9 months driving experience). My premium is NOTcheap - $3200/year. Hopefully it doesn't move too much as a result given my past claims history. IT did take some time for the claim settlement to weave its way through the bureaucracy as the high value required VP approval. However, I was fairly satisfied with he process.

If you believe the Reddit posts of people claiming to work in claims, State Farm is notorious for this sort of low-balling behavior.

How does that $2400 difference compare to the higher premiums you'd ostensibly pay with Pure or another "premium" carrier?

I just wish there were some easier way to tell how good the claims experience will be with a particular carrier, other than word of mouth. I want to pay more for a better experience, but I want to be assured I'm actually going to get something out of a higher premium.

I'm with progressive.

I don't know how they are service wide, but I'm right around 1200 for 6 months

If you believe the Reddit posts of people claiming to work in claims, State Farm is notorious for this sort of low-balling behavior.

How does that $2400 difference compare to the higher premiums you'd ostensibly pay with Pure or another "premium" carrier?

I just wish there were some easier way to tell how good the claims experience will be with a particular carrier, other than word of mouth. I want to pay more for a better experience, but I want to be assured I'm actually going to get something out of a higher premium.

If you are a member of Consumer Reports they do a ranking of insurance companies although they did not include "Pure" in the rankings. At the very top was, no surprise, USAA with an overall satisfaction rating of 92; State Farm had an overall rating of 63. USAA is, of course, a limited membership company. The highest non limited national company was Amica with a score of 83.

Thus far I would not recommend Esurance, initially they were communicative but have since been slow and they totally screwed up my rental car reservation, booking it for the wrong state. My car has been in the shop 3 weeks for a scraped bumper and they did their estimate based on a Genesis G70 with labor rates $40 an hour. Lucid labor rates are $175, same as Aston Martin. Of course there is an adjustment process, but their claims adjuster sent me some email not identifying himself as the person who was doing the claims adjustment estimate, and asked if he could come to my house to see the car (it’s in the shop! Why would a dumb insurance company not tell adjuster where the car was located??), so I thought it was a scam, but it turns out he was legitimate, just utterly clueless. So I sent him another email asking him to try and see the car ASAP as I have a road trip planned for June 19 and really needed the car back by then, and he never responded. Esurance mailed me a check for their paltry estimate minus the deductible and has not communicated with me beyond that about any adjustment and I’ve received no further updates from the Lucid shop either since I called last Friday, all I can tell is my car is sitting there taken apart with no progress. It’s very unlikely I’ll stick with Esurance unless this gets resolved quickly, I’ll reach out to them today.
It would be extremely difficult to be the best on claims and the cheapest on premiums. I only recently heard of Pure and noticed the sign on a building on Scottsdale road just a bit north of the Design Studio.

As the Tammany Hall politician George Washington Plunkitt said at the commencement of the twentieth century: "Youse pays your money and youse takes your chances".
Completely understand what a crap shoot this is. You get what you pay for most of the time. State farm apparently has taken a more aggressive approach in dealing with claims. It's not this blemish that Im most worried about - it's the big claim yet to happen. How do you trust these insurance companies??

The peace of mind is important but in the 50 yrs Ive been with State Farm Ive had so few claims. But sadly I dont think loyalty counts for a whole lot in this industry. I guess with State Farm you are to a certain degree 'self insuring'.

My experience filing a claim with Safeco earlier this year was really good. It's a division of Liberty. At the time I felt like things moved slowly, but it's hard to be patient when you want things done quickly. Phone calls were iffy, but text communication was reasonably fast. I'm paying about $1900 for the year for the Air part of the policy; there are two other cars on it.
Part of the policy is a New Car Replacement add-on that is $50 for the year. It's only good for the first year of a car's life, and it's the only reason I still have a Lucid. Once they decided it was a total loss, they gave me the full cost to buy a new one.

If you are a member of Consumer Reports they do a ranking of insurance companies although they did not include "Pure" in the rankings. At the very top was, no surprise, USAA with an overall satisfaction rating of 92; State Farm had an overall rating of 63. USAA is, of course, a limited membership company. The highest non limited national company was Amica with a score of 83.
I use NJM which is another one of the CR top rated ones, but they only write in a few states. My rate with them is quite reasonable given I live in an area full of drivers with no apparent interest in traffic laws.

Back