Insurer would not cover a Lucid

Wow. Were you with like a mom and pop insurer or something? USAA was easy breezy.
I had USAA for > 35 years (for everything - cars, home & umbrella) & their quote was about 30%+ higher than Amica for the same coverage. I live in Delaware. How was your quote?

I had USAA for > 35 years (for everything - cars, home & umbrella) & their quote was about 30%+ higher than Amica for the same coverage. I live in Delaware. How was your quote?
2178 / 6mo from USAA here in VA currently for a Touring.

I think I'm right around $250/mo or so. Felt reasonable. But I stay with USAA because of the service, the fact that they are often a good deal too is just amazing. I'd pay a premium.

I wanted to share a situation I experienced with my new Lucid Air. Prior to taking delivery, I called my agent to quote coverage on the car, and they told me that my insurance company would not cover the Lucid as it is an undesirable car. I let my agent know I intend to lease the Lucid, and I will get insurance for the car elsewhere (and keep our other cars on our current policy). Annoying, but not a big deal. Well, my insurer decided to cancel my Umbrella Policy since I am insuring 1 car with another Insurance Company. Fast forward, I decided to move all my vehicles over to Allstate who was competitive with my previous insurer and they are writing my Umbrella Policy.

If you have multiple cars and an Umbrella Policy, I would not wait until the last minute like I did and assume your insurer will cover a Lucid. Everything worked out in the end, but it was a hassle I wish I had avoided.
I had no such issue with USAA.

I wanted to share a situation I experienced with my new Lucid Air. Prior to taking delivery, I called my agent to quote coverage on the car, and they told me that my insurance company would not cover the Lucid as it is an undesirable car. I let my agent know I intend to lease the Lucid, and I will get insurance for the car elsewhere (and keep our other cars on our current policy). Annoying, but not a big deal. Well, my insurer decided to cancel my Umbrella Policy since I am insuring 1 car with another Insurance Company. Fast forward, I decided to move all my vehicles over to Allstate who was competitive with my previous insurer and they are writing my Umbrella Policy.

If you have multiple cars and an Umbrella Policy, I would not wait until the last minute like I did and assume your insurer will cover a Lucid. Everything worked out in the end, but it was a hassle I wish I had avoided.
I also wish I knew about the latest and unnecessary insurance company shenanigans.

- My home+auto insurance company informed me that because it's "special" car... they'll have to go through the underwriting process.
- Assuming they'll approve... Looking at about $1.2K/6 months. Full coverage
- Another "Got-cha" from the insurance: they won't cover Lucid until the underwriting is complete.
- I frantically called/looked out for other auto insurance to get it covered immediately. Paying a ridiculous $5k deductible plan....$700 per month.
- At least it is prorated, so hopefully, my home+auto insurance will complete the underwriting and approve the vehicle soon... So I can cancel the other insurance and get some money back.

I also wish I knew about the latest and unnecessary insurance company shenanigans.

- My home+auto insurance company informed me that because it's "special" car... they'll have to go through the underwriting process.
- Assuming they'll approve... Looking at about $1.2K/6 months. Full coverage
- Another "Got-cha" from the insurance: they won't cover Lucid until the underwriting is complete.
- I frantically called/looked out for other auto insurance to get it covered immediately. Paying a ridiculous $5k deductible plan....$700 per month.
- At least it is prorated, so hopefully, my home+auto insurance will complete the underwriting and approve the vehicle soon... So I can cancel the other insurance and get some money back.
I was thinking ahead enough to ask my insurance company if they covered it. They said yes. I was not smart enough to ask how much they wanted, which was exorbitant. So we put it on the day we picked it up, and canceled a few weeks later when I found something better.

I was thinking ahead enough to ask my insurance company if they covered it. They said yes. I was not smart enough to ask how much they wanted, which was exorbitant. So we put it on the day we picked it up, and canceled a few weeks later when I found something better.
Also thought ahead. Hartford will not insure a Lucid. Went to test drive and thought twice about signing the Lucid agreement re: being insured. Lucid wouldn't let us drive without signing, so took a ride with the rep. Spoke to Hartford afterward and they said they would not even cover our test drive because the registered owner - the dealer - covers the car and it's not the same as renting a car which Hartford does cover. Neither Lucid nor I have ever heard of such a thing. So, now having to either change our current policy or agree to personally cover the test drive or??? Insurance industry, like so many other things, needs an overhaul.

Also thought ahead. Hartford will not insure a Lucid. Went to test drive and thought twice about signing the Lucid agreement re: being insured. Lucid wouldn't let us drive without signing, so took a ride with the rep. Spoke to Hartford afterward and they said they would not even cover our test drive because the registered owner - the dealer - covers the car and it's not the same as renting a car which Hartford does cover. Neither Lucid nor I have ever heard of such a thing. So, now having to either change our current policy or agree to personally cover the test drive or??? Insurance industry, like so many other things, needs an overhaul.
Now that's strange. I was referring to buying the car, not test driving it. We didn't have to show any proof of insurance for that. We had a one page list of things we had to agree to and check off. I think having insurance was on there. The only one I remember is agreeing to not drive over the speed limit, had to ask the SA about that. He said to not worry about it, just stay under 100.

Now that's strange. I was referring to buying the car, not test driving it. We didn't have to show any proof of insurance for that. We had a one page list of things we had to agree to and check off. I think having insurance was on there. The only one I remember is agreeing to not drive over the speed limit, had to ask the SA about that. He said to not worry about it, just stay under 100.
Strange, yes. Normally I would likely fly through & sign a document like Lucid wants signed. We have full coverage on our vehicle, and I have never even questioned such things before. But I had our insurance quote ringing in my ears saying they would not insure a Lucid. Lucid's Test Drive Agreement says at the end of the insurance coverage clause re: the driver's collision and liability insurance that it "is presently in effect, and covers the vehicle". We played it safe & Hartford confirmed later that if we had crashed the car, it would have been us paying for it. Very odd but many things are odd these days.

Strange, yes. Normally I would likely fly through & sign a document like Lucid wants signed. We have full coverage on our vehicle, and I have never even questioned such things before. But I had our insurance quote ringing in my ears saying they would not insure a Lucid. Lucid's Test Drive Agreement says at the end of the insurance coverage clause re: the driver's collision and liability insurance that it "is presently in effect, and covers the vehicle". We played it safe & Hartford confirmed later that if we had crashed the car, it would have been us paying for it. Very odd but many things are odd these days.
Now replying to myself to end the story. After discussions with 3 customer service reps and their conferring with at least 5 others, it turns out Hartford will cover the test drive if Lucid were to pursue their driver for an accident. But Lucid should be covering the car as the existing owner. Same old stuff - no one wants responsibility.

That's wild! I've never heard of that before, not covering prior to ownership. I had a feeling it was an independent rep that either didn't want to deal with replacement parts, or....for "whatever" reasons, didn't want to touch electric cars.
With Libbity Bibbity, my new Jeep rate stung, but then adding the Lucid was only an additional 660/yr. So I didn't mind in the end. They were super easy. Bibbity just had questions about primary and secondary drivers.

Back