Insurer would not cover a Lucid

My touring is $2,480 per year with Geico in South Florida.

It's not just Lucids. A friend of mine just bought a Model X, delivery date next week. She discovered yesterday that her insurer won't cover it.

I was with Hartford for a long time. When I called them to add the Lucid to my policy, they said they would not cover it. I also thought I heard from the agent that they don't cover Tesla either. Long story short, I got a policy with Progressive. Then I cancelled my home insurance with Hartford and added that to Progressive for a packaged deal.

I wanted to share a situation I experienced with my new Lucid Air. Prior to taking delivery, I called my agent to quote coverage on the car, and they told me that my insurance company would not cover the Lucid as it is an undesirable car. I let my agent know I intend to lease the Lucid, and I will get insurance for the car elsewhere (and keep our other cars on our current policy). Annoying, but not a big deal. Well, my insurer decided to cancel my Umbrella Policy since I am insuring 1 car with another Insurance Company. Fast forward, I decided to move all my vehicles over to Allstate who was competitive with my previous insurer and they are writing my Umbrella Policy.

If you have multiple cars and an Umbrella Policy, I would not wait until the last minute like I did and assume your insurer will cover a Lucid. Everything worked out in the end, but it was a hassle I wish I had avoided.
I had the same problem. I went to tesla insurance. They covered the car with no problem, all via their app

I was with Hartford for a long time. When I called them to add the Lucid to my policy, they said they would not cover it. I also thought I heard from the agent that they don't cover Tesla either. Long story short, I got a policy with Progressive. Then I cancelled my home insurance with Hartford and added that to Progressive for a packaged deal.
It used to be that customers had leverage through a willingness to do bundled coverage (e.g., auto, home, umbrella). But now, in many states (e.g., California and Florida), insurers are reluctant to cover both risks because of rising costs and that pretty much ends our leverage as customers. I suspect that pretty much everyone on this forum has an umbrella but by itself that doesn't help us much.

Last few years I insured my GT-P and the Huracan through the Progressive commercial account , the premium was $6,500 yearly. Cheap, peachy and risky (I know I had to switch it).
Out of curiosity, I asked them to add the Sapphire.
The shocking breakdown increase:
The renew, two prevoius cars - $18,600 and to add the Sapphire, an additional 11,000 roughly, totalling $ 29,600 for 3 cars yearly.
This is not a typo. As the name of the company...it's progressive:) and psychotic and it shows.
Then i switched to the State Farm, for all 3 cars, Huracan+GT-P+Sapphire I'm paying monthly $960 a month. Me happy.
Btw, few minor accidents within 7 years and no tickets (a miracle).

When I had the mobile service guy over this week to do my seasonal tire/wheel swap on my GT-P I asked how many Sapphires have been delivered through Goose Island.
He said 3, 2 to one guy (who originally was getting 3) and the third to a guy who had it sit for a long time until he could get it insured.
I moved from Allstate to Safeco this year as they were going nuts on my Gen 2 NSX.
New policy for 4 cars $6091 in Chicago.
Air GT-P $1716
LC 500 Convertible $1674
Q50S Hybrid AWD $1359
Gen 2 NSX $1337

I wanted to share a situation I experienced with my new Lucid Air. Prior to taking delivery, I called my agent to quote coverage on the car, and they told me that my insurance company would not cover the Lucid as it is an undesirable car. I let my agent know I intend to lease the Lucid, and I will get insurance for the car elsewhere (and keep our other cars on our current policy). Annoying, but not a big deal. Well, my insurer decided to cancel my Umbrella Policy since I am insuring 1 car with another Insurance Company. Fast forward, I decided to move all my vehicles over to Allstate who was competitive with my previous insurer and they are writing my Umbrella Policy.

If you have multiple cars and an Umbrella Policy, I would not wait until the last minute like I did and assume your insurer will cover a Lucid. Everything worked out in the end, but it was a hassle I wish I had avoided.
Getting insurance coverage on vehicles and homes is getting increasingly difficult across the country. You did the right thing by finding a new insurance company and giving them all of your business. I think it’s baloney that your ex-insurance company stated the Lucid is an undesirable car. That’s just an excuse and very lame. We recently switched to Liberty Mutual and State Farm for our vehicles and our homes. It seems one insurance company comes up with ridiculous excuses not to cover you while there are other insurance companies that would be happy to have your business. Shop around. We also found better pricing and coverage doing our own shopping rather than using an insurance broker.

I had big issues last year trying to get initial coverage, but finally did... However I am with Liberty Mutual and it sounds like they are now backing off on renewal coverage... My policy renews in September, so I am now concerned. I think it is imperative the Lucid find an insurance connection or underwriter to assist with some type of insurance package... The lack of good insurance options will be a real impediment to selling cars.
I don’t think it’s Lucid responsibility to find insurance for all of their customers. Insurance companies are finding excuses to not cover clients. One needs to shop around. Invest the time and call several insurance companies. I bet someone will want to insure your vehicles. You may have to split them up between two companies.

My Progressive auto policy was bundled with a home policy underwritten by National General. BION, NG is owned by Allstate. Total incest. Hey, a deal's a deal!

I found the best rate with farm bureau insurance. 1200 per year and I'm on my second year of coverage.

Back