Inflating tires

Badger

Cars
Lucid Air
I went to put air in the tires of my GT today and discovered the tire nipple does not come out of the tiny hole in the wheel cover far enough to allow me to connect my tire pressure gauge (see picture). Has anyone else encountered this? Do you really have to take the 4 wheel covers off every time you want to inflate the tires? That would seem to be pretty ridiculous if true. The tire pressure gauge I have is designed for auto tires but is there a special “Lucid“ tire gauge that works?

Attachments

• 50891367-4926-46FA-B3BC-D6BC892AC29D.jpeg
    50891367-4926-46FA-B3BC-D6BC892AC29D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 185
  • 0ABDEF82-7F32-4545-B526-9A07AA1BE02A.jpeg
    0ABDEF82-7F32-4545-B526-9A07AA1BE02A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
I went to put air in the tires of my GT today and discovered the tire nipple does not come out of the tiny hole in the wheel cover far enough to allow me to connect my tire pressure gauge (see picture). Has anyone else encountered this? Do you really have to take the 4 wheel covers off every time you want to inflate the tires? That would seem to be pretty ridiculous if true. The tire pressure gauge I have is designed for auto tires but is there a special “Lucid“ tire gauge that works?
paging @Bunnylebowski who I think got an extender?

paging @Bunnylebowski who I think got an extender?
Actually I got the Ryobi inflator, which has a flip lock switch and fits right inside the aero covers. The problem is getting the valve stem caps off, it’s hard with skinny fingers. You need chopsticks or needle nose pliers. Also, while the Ryobi inflator is good, it is 2-3 PSI off, so to get 19” wheels to a pressure cold that the car reads as 49, you need to inflate the ryobi to 51-52 PSI.

El duderino thanks for this. I had a pump that topped out at 35 psi ... good enough for the bimmer & mazda but not even close for the E63 ... and the Lucid ? forgedabowdit. Thank you for saving me time searching for a new air pump. How do you "calibrate" the pressure? Are you using a couple of pencil gauges or just going with "the highest must be correct" ? Also, do you worry about all the water vapor you put inside the tire when you use air instead of dry nitrogen ?

I remember a Popular Mechanics issue some decades ago that predicted "in the future" we will all be riding on honeycombed
polyurethane non-pneumatic tires.
iu
meet George Jetson...

iu

El duderino thanks for this. I had a pump that topped out at 35 psi ... good enough for the bimmer & mazda but not even close for the E63 ... and the Lucid ? forgedabowdit. Thank you for saving me time searching for a new air pump. How do you "calibrate" the pressure? Are you using a couple of pencil gauges or just going with "the highest must be correct" ? Also, do you worry about all the water vapor you put inside the tire when you use air instead of dry nitrogen ?

I remember a Popular Mechanics issue some decades ago that predicted "in the future" we will all be riding on honeycombed
They're still working on those non-pneumatic tires. They's been a few years away now for several years.
You can buy inexpensive digital tire pressure gauges on Amazon - get a two-pack and keep one at home and one in the car. Or a nice digital dial gauge for home and a smaller one for the glovebox. They are much more accurate than the old pencil gauges.

I carry needlenose pliers and an extension tube for the valve stem. The covers do come off fairly easily, but I am afraid I will break one.

iu
meet George Jetson...

iu
I tested it on my wife’s Subaru tire pressure and the Lucid and compared them and the Ryobi was 3 PSI off on what the cars were reading on both of them, and also used an analog gauge which matched that, so I just inflate the 19s to 52-53PSI on the Ryobi and then the Lucid reads 49PSI cold once I drive it over 20mph.

In general, you'll get a more accurate reading if you use a gauge that has a full scale reading close to the pressure you are expecting, e.g. use a 60psi max pressure gauge for car tires rather than 160psi max. Errors are typically expressed as +-x% of reading +-y% of full scale.

I had a classic dial gauge with hold/reset like in the photo but found it did not agree with any other gauge I used. I concur with Deane that I'd rather have a range in range of my application, especially w/mechanical, or some assurance that precision is intact.
The electronic ones at least give you consistent readings. I don't count on the wheel sensors being more than a red flag warning. Are they accurate / reliable ? I just "reset" them on the kid's bmw because I kept getting a warning light...a few minutes in the menu and I found I could tell the car to go stuff it with the warnings. Nice.

My concern is twofold:

does the gauge / pump fit on the nipple without me removing the aero covers ?

does it go to 60 psi ?

maxresdefault.jpg

So next owner mod video: "How to drill out the holes in your Aero covers so a tire gauge will fit on the nipple."

or

"Since I'm driving 90 miles per hour in sub-freezing conditions do the aero covers really matter at all ?"

I have this same problem on one of my tires. Bought this item from Amazon and that works fine. Now I don’t need to remove the cover to connect the hose. Slime 2045-A Metal Valve... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V9TC10?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The Lucid "Fix-a-flat" is just a can of shaving cream then? It's not an air pump ?

And it's a high-pressure pump designed for "lorries." Works very well.

My old analog tire gauge is within 1 psi of what the Lucid is telling me the pressures are.

Just take off the inserts. They really are not hard to pop off and back on.

I’m going to Americas Tire next week to have my air topped off. Does anyone know if tire shops have pumps that work better with the covers on than other places?

I’m going to Americas Tire next week to have my air topped off. Does anyone know if tire shops have pumps that work better with the covers on than other places?
So, I went there and they did have to remove the covers to reach the valves. They noticed something I haven’t seen mentioned which is that most of the slits in the covers are smaller than the one over the valve and will cover it completely if reinstalled ‘incorrectly’. However, the manager agreed that it doesn’t matter much since you have to take them off anyway. He also said that I was his first Lucid and one of the guys in the shop was so psyched, he took a picture. :)

Major plus for the 20" tires, which my loaner has. Seasonal weather drop last night, so I checked the tire pressure this morning and didn't have to pry off the aero cover to reach the tire stem and inflate them! At least after a year of prying off the one section to check/inflate the 19" tires, it seems a bit easier to do and I don't sweat whether or not I'll break them. I'm not sure I want the tire stems protruding if I put on any extenders.

Major plus for the 20" tires, which my loaner has. Seasonal weather drop last night, so I checked the tire pressure this morning and didn't have to pry off the aero cover to reach the tire stem and inflate them! At least after a year of prying off the one section to check/inflate the 19" tires, it seems a bit easier to do and I don't sweat whether or not I'll break them. I'm not sure I want the tire stems protruding if I put on any extenders.
Hmmm, I've never had to remove the Aeros on my 19s when I've added air. I wonder if it's just how your 19s line up with the rims

Back