How often do you inflate your tires?

Instinctive

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Crosstrek
Referral Code
W9WLB7BB
Hey team!

AT, 19" all season here. I've been told to keep the tires at 49, and noticed yesterday they're already down to like 46 psi all around. It shouldn't be a hot/cold thing...it's been cold the whole time! Just wondered what y'all have been seeing on pressure loss, etc. With my other vehicle I've just aired them up in Nov/Dec and then I do a check like every 4 months and never have issues.

Just because the car is so much heavier?

Hey team!

AT, 19" all season here. I've been told to keep the tires at 49, and noticed yesterday they're already down to like 46 psi all around. It shouldn't be a hot/cold thing...it's been cold the whole time! Just wondered what y'all have been seeing on pressure loss, etc. With my other vehicle I've just aired them up in Nov/Dec and then I do a check like every 4 months and never have issues.

I have 21" tires and I keep them at 45 lbs. Only have to reinflate about once a month or so. I'm guessing you live in a colder climate than mine? If so then the fact that it is always very (?) cold is most likely the cause of your deflation experience. When you drive the tires heat up fairly rapidly especially if you are driving at higher speeds. Then when you stop the external much colder climate will result in a fairly rapid drop in tire temperature and that might contribute to a slight loss of pressure each time. In my case the external temperature isn't all that cold and thus the tire temperature drop is more gradual.

I keep mine at 42 because I like the ride better and check them once a week or when it gets really cold.

I have noticed tires at higher pressures like 49psi seem to lose air pressure over time more than tires at lower pressures. I check and refill mine monthly. I bought a nice digital air pressure gage that measures to +- 0.1 psi.

Every month or so when I remember.
it's important to check tire pressure more often as ambient temperature is decreasing than when it it increasing.

I really like my Milwaukee M12 Compact Inflator and usually adjust tires weekly to keep my 20" tires around 45psi.

Hey team!

I have the same tires. When our weather was sub-zero, my tires went down to 40 psi and the car alerted me. I inflated to 49/50 psi. But, when it warmed up the tires over inflated to almost 60 psi with no alert from the car. I feel the TPS system should alert to under and over inflated tires situations, other cars do.
One other piece of advice, I put extensions on the valve stems as I found access to the OEM valve stems to be problematic. You can find these at local auto part stores - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH901914

I have the 19", which I keep at 49 -50psi. I'm not very good about checking them, but when they get down to 47, I feel the difference in how the car rides. So I get them checked and filled. Usually the lazy person's way, at the Discount Tire free air check. Over the past half year, I've had a few service appointments for minor issues and my annual service. Frank, our wonderful mobile service guy in San Diego, always checks and fills the tires when he's at the house, so I haven't had to worry about them for quite a while.

I have the same tires. When our weather was sub-zero, my tires went down to 40 psi and the car alerted me. I inflated to 49/50 psi. But, when it warmed up the tires over inflated to almost 60 psi with no alert from the car. I feel the TPS system should alert to under and over inflated tires situations, other cars do.
One other piece of advice, I put extensions on the valve stems as I found access to the OEM valve stems to be problematic. You can find these at local auto part stores - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH901914
You can also pop out the one end of the aero insert around the valve stem to get at it more easily. It pops out and flexes enough to unscrew the cap, then snaps right back in.

Monthly ..42PSI ... mfr recommended pressure...why are others here overinflating beyond mfr recommendations? Isnt overinflating bad for overall efficiency?

Monthly ..42PSI ... mfr recommended pressure...why are others here overinflating beyond mfr recommendations? Isnt overinflating bad for overall efficiency?
45psi is the MFR for stock tires on all but the 19" wheels for "high speed" (> 155mph), so it's not exactly a forbidden zone. Higher pressure should actually mean higher efficiency, Lucid just recommends lower pressures as a more comfy balance. Some people have also found that the 21" summer tires are less damage-prone at 45psi.

You can also pop out the one end of the aero insert around the valve stem to get at it more easily. It pops out and flexes enough to unscrew the cap, then snaps right back in.
Am of aware of that, I still had issues getting to the stem cap and getting off/on - arthritic hands

For Pure Air 19" wheels 49 psi is the recommended pressure as indicated in the door label

Attachments

• tire psi.jpg
    tire psi.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 29
If you'd like to make checking/inflating tires a painless 10 seconds each, Milwaukee's M180 autoinflator is a great piece of kit.

But if weather gets cold I do add some air sometimes

In my other car, I have used Nitrogen in all tires and have seen it can sustain extreme cold weather (below freezing) without any need to inflate often. Thinking of doing the same in Lucid. Anyone already tried it? any concern with Lucid tires?

For Pure Air 19" wheels 49 psi is the recommended pressure as indicated in the door label
I don't have this sticker on my door panel and was wondering if they weren't putting them on anymore. I had to llook through the manual to get the recommended tire pressure :)
Perhaps something to ask the service team to take care of!

Back