I made a video about range.

When roadtripping in our Air Dream Performance with 21" wheels we don't really bother to think about range any more.

On roadtrips we charge up to 95% at a charging stop, we drive around 80 mph with occasional higher bursts to break out of traffic packs, we never drive more than 250 miles without needing a rest/bladder break, and we've never arrived at the next charging station with less than 28% of battery charge remaining.

Yeah, a charging stop can take a half hour, but we need the break, anyway. And then, with home charging, I can think about the dozens of gas station fill-ups (and several oil changes) we avoid over the course of a year when we're not roadtripping.

As much as we loved our two Teslas, neither one got us to the point that we would let go of our remaining ICE vehicle. Two years with a Lucid Air now has us ready to shed our last ICE car when the Gravity comes out late this year.

I drive for safety and in a personal style I am comfortable with. I no longer race with BMW CCA. I am older and have slower reflexes. Hence I drive more conservatively than most of you. It happens to generate great efficiency. I would get 42 mpg in my BMW 530ix. Way above EPA. That is equivalent to 4.5 in my Touring. It’s just how I drive nowadays.
I don’t know why some think you can only have fun in a Lucid exceeding the speed limit by at least 20mph or doing a 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Oh contraire, one can also have fun making a game out of efficiency…I’m gonna beat down that damn EPA till they scream!

That’s the beauty of a car like this, you can get your jollies either way. :)

This is encouraging, I hate the look of the standard 19s and desperately want to replace them, but was hesitant because of the range advantage vs aftermarket 19s.

Great video Bobby! Finally putting it to rest, happy to see that you can hit EPA by slowing it down a bit. I do thing that the Dream editions do a bit better at higher speeds than the AGT, but nonetheless it can be done!

Great vid!

As I get ready for my Lucid to be delivered next week, this video is super helpful indeed to put those nagging doubts about the range to rest. Thank you, Bobby for educating the community. I feel great being part of this.
Congrats, in advance of your delivery! Also, congrats on your first post! Oh, and also, now congrats on your first reply! You'll never forget your first! ;-)

I don’t know why some think you can only have fun in a Lucid exceeding the speed limit by at least 20mph or doing a 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Oh contraire, one can also have fun making a game out of efficiency…I’m gonna beat down that damn EPA till they scream!
I don't know how many of us enjoy driving 58 MPH with minimal creature comforts to try to beat the EPA. Putting the car in Swift and being the first off the line, taking sharp curves without braking, and passing traffic choke points on high speed freeways seem a lot more fun to me! 🤷🏻

That mirrors my miles and efficiency , 3.1 at 29,800. I was at 3.2 this summer and fall but winter has killed my range
So completed my trip today. Beating EPA is doable, albeit boring. Thanks @Bobby for inspiring me to show what's possible.

Summary: cruise set to 60. 232 miles on 55% battery for an efficiency of 4.0mi/kwh

I should add that for a DE-P on 19s, I'm supposed to get 3.8mi/kwh via EPA.

1000007044.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know how many of us enjoy driving 58 MPH with minimal creature comforts to try to beat the EPA. Putting the car in Swift and being the first off the line, taking sharp curves without braking, and passing traffic choke points on high speed freeways seem a lot more fun to me! 🤷🏻
You sure don’t live in NY! 🤣

Can you post a video driving 74 on flat topography and getting 4.2? I get like 3.2 in those conditions (I.e flat with ACC set to 74)
I used HA set at 72 and drive 4k miles in pure awd a 75f fan speed 8 when the ambient was 95 to 115f 2 people in the car. I got 4 miles per KWh. When the ambient was 35 to 55F and heat set to 68f auto with 3 people in the car and 50lb more luggage I got 3.6 miles per KWh in 4k miles between CA and Canada. My average speed was probably 65F. Epa 410 on 92kwh battery is 4.4 miles per KWh. So if I averaged 58mph by setting HA at 65, I am pretty sure I would easily get the epa number.

When I saw the video by @Bobby my thought was the same thing about epa mpg applies to non EV. Yet most of the non ev folks and some of ev folks Iike to say that EVs in general do not get the epa range.

BTW I have stock 19 with aero inserts

Duplicate the conditions. Flat roads, 65 max, gentle acceleration.
That's been my experience too. Also, no air conditioning/climate. It's like purgatory (if it's hot, it's like hell), but you get the range.

Great video Bobby. I think people fail to realize EPA is always rated at a low speed as they are trying to find a mix of city and highway and average that out. Meanwhile, we are used to City/Highway epa on fuel cars and expect that epa range on an EV to suddenly be the one true goal for our range.

I rarely ever hit EPA. I have a lead foot 😂

But Lucid having so much range is fantastic.

I do think road tripping a car with high speeds for charging or having a car with high range numbers makes them the best road trip cars. Once a manufacturer comes with both, it’ll be the best.

Great video Bobby. I think people fail to realize EPA is always rated at a low speed as they are trying to find a mix of city and highway and average that out. Meanwhile, we are used to City/Highway epa on fuel cars and expect that epa range on an EV to suddenly be the one true goal for our range.

I rarely ever hit EPA. I have a lead foot 😂

But Lucid having so much range is fantastic.

I do think road tripping a car with high speeds for charging or having a car with high range numbers makes them the best road trip cars. Once a manufacturer comes with both, it’ll be the best.
That sounds like the new Taycan. Range on par with Lucid Touring/Pure if not GT and charges really fast. I haven't looked into the performance numbers but I'm comfortable assuming that they are going to be just fine... for me anyway

Thank you, Bobby. You are an ambassador of clarity. Everyone should see your video before buying any EV, but especially a Lucid Air and soon Gravity. The primary variables should be obvious and except for ambient temperature not all that different from the ICE experiences that we have all observed. For the hot-shoes out there, do not expect much over 2 miles/ kWh, again depending on the terrain and ambient temperature. Smooth acceleration is essential for better efficiency. It is good to get some validation of my efficiency from Bobby's video, which for me has averaged 3.4 over 16,000 miles on 19's. Although short trips in the freezing weather in CO my efficiency has been closer to 2. I average over 4.1-3 when descending from an altitude like Leadville's, which dramatically illustrates the benefit of regenerative charge.

Lest we forget, the suspension, power delivery, range, space, driver's position, and overall ease of use put the Air in another dimension from other EV's that are available IMO. Yes, Taycan, as much as I love Porsches that means you too. Too bad that comparisons focus mostly on the range and supposed charging time and not the sheer driving pleasure and other attributes of the Air and its competition. And please do not get me started on exterior design differences, for the clean sheet, Air design is unique, not derivative.

The main issue I had with the Taycan was the interior room for passengers. Having owned four Porsches I can also tell you the initial MSRP doesn't mean a thing. Do you want leather interior? $$Kaching!! Do you want larger or fancier wheels? $$Kaching!! Do you want a paint color other than black or white? $$Kaching!! How about upgraded stereo? $$Kaching!! And the list goes on and on. Yes you can buy the bare bones vehicle but you will have to wait quite a while to get one. That said I do recommend you buy the base model with no extras (I never did and paid a lot more than MSRP) because when you go to trade it in or sell it you won't get bupkas for all those extra options.

The main issue I had with the Taycan was the interior room for passengers. Having owned four Porsches I can also tell you the initial MSRP doesn't mean a thing. Do you want leather interior? $$Kaching!! Do you want larger or fancier wheels? $$Kaching!! Do you want a paint color other than black or white? $$Kaching!! How about upgraded stereo? $$Kaching!! And the list goes on and on. Yes you can buy the bare bones vehicle but you will have to wait quite a while to get one. That said I do recommend you buy the base model with no extras (I never did and paid a lot more than MSRP) because when you go to trade it in or sell it you won't get bupkas for all those extra options.
For certain. I took a ~$40,000 hit when I traded my 2015 991 Turbo S that listed at about $205k a few years later. My biggest reservation about Taycan, aside from its range was that it basically had the interior of a 911 in terms of size in the front and limited storage space.

Just wait until you see 2024 lucid air option pricing! 🤑🤑

Back