I made a video about range.

This is inspiring me to make a video countering this one 😅

When I do the Lucid HQ tour and talk to one of the executives, my range experience is something I’m going to hammer on.

I had my car in the shop to “verify” nothing is wrong and have been averaging 2.7 mi/kWh in Florida as of late. I had a rental GT loaner for a week with 19” wheels (vs my 21”) and averaged 3.6 (much closer to what I’d expect). The service center gave me some bogus range advice and noted everything was fine…

This is inspiring me to make a video countering this one 😅

When I do the Lucid HQ tour and talk to one of the executives, my range experience is something I’m going to hammer on.

I had my car in the shop to “verify” nothing is wrong and have been averaging 2.7 mi/kWh in Florida as of late. I had a rental GT loaner for a week with 19” wheels (vs my 21”) and averaged 3.6 (much closer to what I’d expect). The service center gave me some bogus range advice and noted everything was fine…
Duplicate the conditions. Flat roads, 65 max, gentle acceleration.

My range sucks but I assume it’s cause of my slick wheels , also 20s

IMG_3745.jpeg

My range sucks but I assume it’s cause of my slick wheels , also 20s

View attachment 18141
Wheels have absolutely nothing to do with range. Tires, however, do. The difference between range in the 21 inch wheels and the 19 inch wheels has a nothing to do with the actual size of the wheel, it has to do with the size and composition of the tires used with those wheels.

Wheels have absolutely nothing to do with range. Tires, however, do. The difference between range in the 21 inch wheels and the 19 inch wheels has a nothing to do with the actual size of the wheel, it has to do with the size and composition of the tires used with those wheels.
But my wheels don’t have covers so they are less aero right ?

Thanks for taking the time to put this out there Bobby! It's interesting to see that our lifetime is efficiency is the same with roughly the same mileage and despite having different batteries and living in very different climates and elevations. I think that helps show how impressively efficient the car is even when driven inefficiently, or as your video shows how unbeatable it is under the right conditions.

Also what is a goood range wheel composition I use Michelin all season 4

But my wheels don’t have covers so they are less aero right ?
For the few thousand miles I drove without the aero caps on my 20's I really saw no noticeable difference in efficiency. From other sources I've read it would be, at most, a 3-5% hit in your range total. From my own personal experience it may have been 2-3%. I would say this puts it pretty far down on the list of factors that will affect range, speed being the highest, and things like temperature, weather conditions, and tire composition being significantly higher as well.

I will watch. IMO, efficiency is mostly about driving technique and acceleration. Plus external factors such as topography and temp. I get 4.2 driving 74 mph on road trips with my technique. Flat topography, 60+F.

And I watched the video, it was very detailed and showed me how much of an impact elevation can make. Here in NJ, 65 isn’t as painful as it is for you guys, so people living here should have no problem!

Lucid should post, link, and/or advertise this on their official channel. You can even get higher efficiency than EPA by dropping the speed some more as would be expected.

We have squeezed out some serious range in 1-2 close calls and tight spots from aggressive road planning (entirely self-inflicted).

EPA is definitely achievable.
Great video! We would all like to thank your willpower and bladder control for the making of this video. 😃

Proves the point you can drive for efficiency if you want but other than a few conservative hypermiler owners on these boards, most of us don't drive for efficiency because the car is too much fun.

Many EV’s show graphically the reasons and causes for actual efficiency. I love these analytics. Even the lowly Bolt has very nice efficiency analytics. Polestar too. Lucid should add this.

Great video! We would all like to thank your willpower and bladder control for the making of this video. 😃

Proves the point you can drive for efficiency if you want but other than a few conservative hypermiler owners on these boards, most of us don't drive for efficiency because the car is too much fun.
I drive for safety and in a personal style I am comfortable with. I no longer race with BMW CCA. I am older and have slower reflexes. Hence I drive more conservatively than most of you. It happens to generate great efficiency. I would get 42 mpg in my BMW 530ix. Way above EPA. That is equivalent to 4.5 in my Touring. It’s just how I drive nowadays.

Watched it just a few hours ago. Excellent work! Thanks for showing very clearly, what type of driving it takes to achieve EPA rated miles.

I channeled my inner Bobby and set my cruise to 60. Screw EPA, I can beat it.
1000007034.jpg

I will watch. IMO, efficiency is mostly about driving technique and acceleration. Plus external factors such as topography and temp. I get 4.2 driving 74 mph on road trips with my technique. Flat topography, 60+F.
Can you post a video driving 74 on flat topography and getting 4.2? I get like 3.2 in those conditions (I.e flat with ACC set to 74)

Back