Another range test by CR

Interesting range test for the Lucid Air Touring.

German auto makers seems to always exceed EPA by a lot.

This section makes the test suspect.

Because driving in the cold and running the heater can shorten an EV’s range between 25 and 50 percent, we perform all our range tests in summer at temperatures between 70 and 90° F and when weather is clear, which is the most favorable for EV range. If we purchase a new vehicle at another time of the year, we will initially score it based on its EPA range until we can perform our own tests.

We control the tests in other ways as well, setting tire pressure to factory specifications, preconditioning the vehicles inside our garage, setting climate control to 72° F, and using cruise control with speed and mileage verified via GPS. To better understand what drivers experience when range gets critically low, we also document what warnings the vehicles provide. We set regenerative braking to the lowest level, and we also test vehicles in Eco mode, if the car has it, to maximize range the way drivers would likely do on a road trip. If there’s a significant slowdown on our route, we restart the test.

This section makes the test suspect.

Because driving in the cold and running the heater can shorten an EV’s range between 25 and 50 percent, we perform all our range tests in summer at temperatures between 70 and 90° F and when weather is clear, which is the most favorable for EV range. If we purchase a new vehicle at another time of the year, we will initially score it based on its EPA range until we can perform our own tests.

We control the tests in other ways as well, setting tire pressure to factory specifications, preconditioning the vehicles inside our garage, setting climate control to 72° F, and using cruise control with speed and mileage verified via GPS. To better understand what drivers experience when range gets critically low, we also document what warnings the vehicles provide. We set regenerative braking to the lowest level, and we also test vehicles in Eco mode, if the car has it, to maximize range the way drivers would likely do on a road trip. If there’s a significant slowdown on our route, we restart the test.

I don’t get it? Why is it suspect?

I don’t get it? Why is it suspect?
How much of a difference does running the AC affect the range of any vehicle? Almost assuredly the same car running in 72 degree weather would get roughly 5% more?

How much of a difference does running the AC affect the range of any vehicle? Almost assuredly the same car running in 72 degree weather would get roughly 5% more?
Exactly 70 degrees to 90 degrees is a very big difference in the AC load required to keep both the cabin and batteries cool. It demonstrates that CR does not really understand EVs.

Love how the Germans blow away the EPA. Would be nice to get a car and have it overpeform your expectations, instead of underperform EPA like Lucid and Tesla do. I know different EPA tests, but still Germans do a good job in total range and are much closer to Lucid/Tesla than the general public would believe.

Love how the Germans blow away the EPA. Would be nice to get a car and have it overpeform your expectations, instead of underperform EPA like Lucid and Tesla do. I know different EPA tests, but still Germans do a good job in total range and are much closer to Lucid/Tesla than the general public would believe.
I come from the BMW world and BMW sandbags its HP ratings. IMO overperforming is way better than underperforming. CR's test was performed under one set of conditions and one can quibble with them (e.g., I always leave my AC on; others don't) but the key factor is that the conditions are the same for every car. It seems very fair to me.

Reactions: DBV
I come from the BMW world and BMW sandbags its HP ratings. IMO overperforming is way better than underperforming. CR's test was performed under one set of conditions and one can quibble with them (e.g., I always leave my AC on; others don't) but the key factor is that the conditions are the same for every car. It seems very fair to me.
Totally agree with you. I also come from the world of BMW and my wife still drives an X5d, which she probably will never give up. 🙂

Back