These EVs Delivered the Best Real-World Range in Our Testing

Interesting that the Touring underperformed in their testing. I can easily get more than 279 miles going 70 mph.
I experienced the same thing with my Touring when I drove to Ashland, Nebraska last year. Greeley, CO to Lexington, NE 297.5 miles and still had 13% SOC left.

Lucid uses permanent magnet motors with no disconnect from the drive line so there is no way to completely turn off one motor. I spoke with Eric Bach about freeway cruising at the LA Auto Show. He told me that during normal freeway driving below 85 mph, the software biases almost all power to the front drive unit. When you accelerate of go faster, the bias reverts back to the the rear drive unit. In other words, Lucid software is already optimizing efficiency at normal freeway speeds. That is not to say that Lucid cannot continue to optimize this but according to Eric, a lot of thought has already gone into this.
I do wonder, wouldnt it be the same efficiency if it was biased towards the rear, which would result in better driving dynamics? As the motors are not disconnected from the drivetrain, wouldnt the regen still stay the same if done so(as the front motor generates more energy from regenerative braking)?

If max range was what they were testing, they should have used the 19" wheels on all Airs.

@Reactor This is the article I referenced in your post on heating the cabin in cold weather. Again, different testing and temps from the article you posted. But, still MT doing testing that is not consistent with what many/most of us experience in our vehicles.
How is it not consistent? From the real-world range thread and poll, seems like the average across users here is like 70-80%. That's dead on with the MT results right? Im sure there are a few hypermilers here and there that get 80+% but i'd rather go with the average for more realistic driving.

I do wonder, wouldnt it be the same efficiency if it was biased towards the rear, which would result in better driving dynamics? As the motors are not disconnected from the drivetrain, wouldnt the regen still stay the same if done so(as the front motor generates more energy from regenerative braking)?
I have noticed that in my Rivian, in conserve mode where it disconnects the rear two motors, the regen still feels exactly the same. I actually don't know why that's the case. Do the rear motors still generate regen if they are disconnected?

If max range was what they were testing, they should have used the 19" wheels on all Airs.
Lucid provides the cars for the press to test. I think it was in one review where they asked Lucid specifically for a GT with 20 or 21s wheels for acceleration testing but Lucid said no, and gave them a GT with 19s and of course the results were terrible lol. And then on the other hand you see the recent reviews of the Touring and Pure have been provided with 20s! So i mean, they are just going to review what they were given.

I have noticed that in my Rivian, in conserve mode where it disconnects the rear two motors, the regen still feels exactly the same. I actually don't know why that's the case. Do the rear motors still generate regen if they are disconnected?
Wait, aren’t rivians using permanent magnet motors which can’t be turned off? The most likely thing that is happening is that the power is being biased all the way to the front or maybe 99 percent. However since you can’t turn off the rear motors, they decided to use them for regenerative braking but not for propulsion, if that explanation made sense?

Wait, aren’t rivians using permanent magnet motors which can’t be turned off? The most likely thing that is happening is that the power is being biased all the way to the front or maybe 99 percent. However since you can’t turn off the rear motors, they decided to use them for regenerative braking but not for propulsion, if that explanation made sense?
Nope, the quad-motors are AC Induction and the rears are 100% disconnected.

Nope, the quad-motors are AC Induction and the rears are 100% disconnected.
In that case, the Rivian likely doesn't use any regenerative braking on the rear even when connected. Some EV manufacturers do this because putting regen on the front will yield more energy than the rear. That is the only explanation I have if it feels the same with 2wd and 4wd, and I know it is very unrealistic. Or maybe it just "connects" again when regen is being used?

How is it not consistent? From the real-world range thread and poll, seems like the average across users here is like 70-80%. That's dead on with the MT results right? Im sure there are a few hypermilers here and there that get 80+% but i'd rather go with the average for more realistic driving.
I guess I should not speak for others. But it's not consistent with what I see and I'm not hypermiling. And their own results were not consistent between the touring and pure.

Interesting, never knew the EQS could go that far. That look is good for something, I suppose. 😂

Interesting, never knew the EQS could go that far. That look is good for something, I suppose. 😂
For me atleast, having a picture of the EQS on my desk helped me lose weight; I was just barfing too much at the sight of it. As you said, good for everything!

My "real world test" in my 2022 Grand Touring was completed Monday. Smooth setting, 20" wheels, inserts removed, frunk, trunk, and backseat full of luggage, driver and one passenger, Lights on Auto, AC on 70 and Seat Cooling on high, 40% of trip with rain/wipers, Tidal playing 100% of the time, used Lucid Nav for routing. I drove 922 miles, cruise set to 82 mph, speeds varied from 65 to 90, with exhilarating passing up to 110 mph on some Alabama two-lanes, used 330 KW whole trip. 2.79 miles per KW. That works to 313 mile range on a 112 KW Battery. I think that is awesome. I had the time of my life driving, scared the daylights out of my passenger a couple of times, lost a 911, Mustang GT, Tesla S, and Challenger in the Rearview, and I am soooo pleased I didn't get any speeding tickets!

Back