borski

Grand Magistrate; Referral Code - Q1BTN5Y3
Verified Owner
Cars
Air DE-P, ZR, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
Q1BTN5Y3

“Because we didn't want this list to be 40 percent Lucid Airs, we combined the year's top three range performers into one entry. That's right, one car maker swept the podium in our EV range testing this year.”

Officially America’s most range-efficient EV, and now also America’s most-awarded new luxury vehicle.

Kinda wild we get to drive it daily. 😍

That’s also with them not testing a regular GT or Dream Edition Range (although that may be unfair given you can’t buy them).

I thought this was interesting too: “It currently holds the record for the highest charging power of any EV we've tested, with the Grand Touring Performance peaking at 314 kW while it added 162 miles of range in 15 minutes of charging.”

Interesting that the Touring underperformed in their testing. I can easily get more than 279 miles going 70 mph.

“Because we didn't want this list to be 40 percent Lucid Airs, we combined the year's top three range performers into one entry. That's right, one car maker swept the podium in our EV range testing this year.”

Officially America’s most range-efficient EV, and now also America’s most-awarded new luxury vehicle.

thank you for sharing, it is interesting how the pure AWD gives you more range than the Touring, I thought both cars use the same battery pack

I thought this was interesting too: “It currently holds the record for the highest charging power of any EV we've tested, with the Grand Touring Performance peaking at 314 kW while it added 162 miles of range in 15 minutes of charging.”
Seems a little low right? I’d imagine that it must have hit 314kw for a very short amount of time. I think you’re supposed to go 10-80% in 22 minutes if I remember correctly which would be much more than 162 miles in 15 minutes.

Read it before! Interesting how the touring vastly underperformed the pure... does rwd make that much of a difference? Probably because of the permanent magnet motors meaning that they have to stay on(although on lucids sapphire presentation they reference "fwd cruising").

thank you for sharing, it is interesting how the pure AWD gives you more range than the Touring, I thought both cars use the same battery pack
I think I recall hearing in an interview that the Pure RWD actually has some newer motor tech making it slightly more efficient than 2023 Tourings?

I think I recall hearing in an interview that the Pure RWD actually has some newer motor tech making it slightly more efficient than 2023 Tourings?
Well, the AWD Pure also did better than their Touring. So that doesn't explain it.

Personally, I think they had a bum Touring. I regularly do better than theirs did with mine.

Yesterday i saw my GT hit 320 mark for a fraction. Tried to take a pic and couldn't get it in that fraction. Got 168 miles in 12min
IMG_0990.jpeg

Remember, the Touring got the best EPA rating when it was announced late 2022. It actually had slightly better efficiency in Lucid's testing than either the GT or the Pure.

Based on the Touring EPA range listed they likely tested the 20" or 21" wheels and not the 19" which could explain the discrepancy.

Based on the Touring EPA range listed they likely tested the 20" or 21" wheels and not the 19" which could explain the discrepancy.
They used larger tires for both the pure RWD and Touring. They used an epa estimate of 384 for the touring and 394 for the pure. 394 is the rating on 20s

Just wondering... Do any EV makers offer a software option where the driver can switch between AWD and 2WD, or some other kind of ECO mode more conservative than 'smooth'? It would be interesting to see what the 70 MPH fair weather' range of a Lucid AWD would be if one could lower the performance specs and/or turn off one of the motors.

Just wondering... Do any EV makers offer a software option where the driver can switch between AWD and 2WD, or some other kind of ECO mode more conservative than 'smooth'? It would be interesting to see what the 70 MPH fair weather' range of a Lucid AWD would be if one could lower the performance specs and/or turn off one of the motors.
I know that Tesla track mode allows you to transfer the bias from front to back up to 100% which I think would simulate that but unsure if Tesla totally turns off the unused motors or not. Unsure about others.

The Kia EV9 can do this. I think it’s how the Taycan is able to beat EPA also.

As for the MT test they definitely did something incorrect, whether it was tire underinflation or perhaps too many exits/re-entries on their loop (they didn’t specify the end to end length of their loop, only that it’s very flat and is a loop). Under good conditions steady 70mph in any Lucid except for 21” wheels will get you 4.0 mi/kwh so their results don’t add up to what I’ve achieved and the math for 4.0 mi/kwh x battery pack size for any of the vehicles tested.

Weird result for the Touring but pretty cool nonetheless. I regularly drive mine not remotely efficiently and am getting 3.3 mi/kWh, 3.4/3.5 when I'm mostly on the highway around the city. That translates to 300+ I'd think.

Now...the comment about ~4 hours is dead on and the real issue with road trip remains charging availability not range.

Lucid uses permanent magnet motors with no disconnect from the drive line so there is no way to completely turn off one motor. I spoke with Eric Bach about freeway cruising at the LA Auto Show. He told me that during normal freeway driving below 85 mph, the software biases almost all power to the front drive unit. When you accelerate of go faster, the bias reverts back to the the rear drive unit. In other words, Lucid software is already optimizing efficiency at normal freeway speeds. That is not to say that Lucid cannot continue to optimize this but according to Eric, a lot of thought has already gone into this.

Many EV makers do this. Some use a clutch to disconnect one of the motors except for certain drive modes. Others us a combination of AC induction motors, which can be powered down and essentially freewheel (but aren't as efficient at a steady speed), and permanent magnet motors which don't freewheel well, but are more efficient overall.

Typically a front permanent-magnet (PM) motor will be used with a rear induction motor. The PM motor does 90% of the driving, with the rear motor used during acceleration or for 4WD purposes. Alternatively, two PM motors could be used with a disconnect clutch on one.

@Reactor This is the article I referenced in your post on heating the cabin in cold weather. Again, different testing and temps from the article you posted. But, still MT doing testing that is not consistent with what many/most of us experience in our vehicles.

Back