Consumer Reports rating of the Touring in Aug 2023 issue.

I have read consumer reports on cars for years and have never understood their approach. I'll go back to the old volvo 544 (1960's) which they rated very poorly. I compared the rating to the car I had and in no case was the rating or description representative of what I was driving. (which after 150,000+ miles with no repairs or problems) I compared their ratings and comments with my Lucid air pure and came to the conclusion we have a luddite doing the rating and justifying their view.
Breakdown the ratings, as one can, and it is actually a pretty fair review. Many of the places where the score got knocked down are ones based on owner ratings (e.g., value in owner ratings). The reliability rating is usually pretty on spot because it is based on owner reports BUT not in the case of a new vehicle like the Lucid Air. CR gave the Lucid a very high road test rating. Next year there will likely be enough owner ratings to get a reasonable score.

You have to understand how CR rates cars. They are not rating cars as an "enthusiast" would rate a car. They are rating cars as utility transportation devices. Their primary criteria is reliability followed by safety which is tied to usability of the UX. If their reader base reports that they have to take the car in for service frequently then the car will not score well. If the user interface is heavily driven by touch screens, CR considers these distracting and will downgrade the rating. If the car does not come standard with certain safety features, its rating is reduced. Well down the scale are ride, handling, acceleration and other features that enthusiasts focus on. Early Lucid's did not have a great reliability record and the UX is heavily screen based, so the car will never score that well. Camry's score well because they are highly reliable, inexpensive, have a traditional UX and come standard with the safety features CR is looking for.

You have to understand how CR rates cars. They are not rating cars as an "enthusiast" would rate a car. They are rating cars as utility transportation devices. Their primary criteria is reliability followed by safety which is tied to usability of the UX. If their reader base reports that they have to take the car in for service frequently then the car will not score well. If the user interface is heavily driven by touch screens, CR considers these distracting and will downgrade the rating. If the car does not come standard with certain safety features, its rating is reduced. Well down the scale are ride, handling, acceleration and other features that enthusiasts focus on. Early Lucid's did not have a great reliability record and the UX is heavily screen based, so the car will never score that well. Camry's score well because they are highly reliable, inexpensive, have a traditional UX and come standard with the safety features CR is looking for.

1st- Lucid gets a poor rating for reliability in my latest Consumer Reports.

2nd- Lucid gets booted out of the Nasdaq 100.

3rd- The CFO of Lucid just resigned.

What is going on? All this negative press is not good for the brand going forward.

What is going on? All this negative press is not good for the brand going forward.
Consumer Reports is a rag at this point. I wouldn’t trust them to review a roll of paper towels.

Booted off the NASDAQ sucks, but it happens a to a lot of companies. The list is never the same 100, so presumably someone gets booted every year.

Sherry leaving is the real news here. We’re never going to find out the real reason why. My guess is it was planned and announced at this particular moment for a reason. Get all the bad news out at once at the end of the year, while people are distracted by the holidays? Who knows. But it’s not good, regardless.

I thought their road test report on the Touring was one of the most detailed I had read and seemed fair. I think many of the cons will be addressed with the Gravity.

I've had long experience with Consumer Reports dating back to the 1970s. I reviewed audio components for many years. CR didn't get it. They once rated a Lafayette receiver (the house brand of a long gone electronics chain) as the best. If you removed the case, it was a piece of junk. The Bose Corporation sued CR because CR reported that the sound of the Bose 901s "wandered." Bose lost (because the court ruled it could not find "malice" on the part of CR), but what the heck does "the sound wandered" mean? Usually if the stereo image is not solid it's the fault of the recording or mastering engineer, not the loudspeaker. I've bought products rated highly by CR over the years only to be disappointed. I doubt that someone in the market for a luxury EV even reads CR.

I've had long experience with Consumer Reports dating back to the 1970s. I reviewed audio components for many years. CR didn't get it. They once rated a Lafayette receiver (the house brand of a long gone electronics chain) as the best. If you removed the case, it was a piece of junk. The Bose Corporation sued CR because CR reported that the sound of the Bose 901s "wandered." Bose lost (because the court ruled it could not find "malice" on the part of CR), but what the heck does "the sound wandered" mean? Usually if the stereo image is not solid it's the fault of the recording or mastering engineer, not the loudspeaker. I've bought products rated highly by CR over the years only to be disappointed. I doubt that someone in the market for a luxury EV even reads CR.
Yup. I'm assuming (or hoping) that anyone buying an EV research across different trades that give the right info. Before I bought the AGT, I did a lot of independent research and test drove every vehicle before I decided what to buy. CR wasn't part of that research...

What is going on? All this negative press is not good for the brand going forw

Just look at their 2024 pricing, CR says Air starts at 82,400, it actually starts at 77,400. Shows how reliable they are. I stopped listening to CR along time ago, bit like how I stopped reading Readers Digest- obsolete!

Just look at their 2024 pricing, CR says Air starts at 82,400, it actually starts at 77,400. Shows how reliable they are. I stopped listening to CR along time ago, bit like how I stopped reading Readers Digest- obsolete!
The problem is that not everybody is as knowledgeable about CR's methods.

This article does real harm to those that rely on CR for their purchases as opposed to members of this forum who have done their homework..

The problem is that not everybody is as knowledgeable about CR's methods.

This article does real harm to those that rely on CR for their purchases as opposed to members of this forum who have done their homework..
I have came across at least 3 people who are not considering an Air due to CR, so I fully agree.

I have came across at least 3 people who are not considering an Air due to CR, so I fully agree.
Part of the problem of perception is that there are not enough Lucids to see or test drive.

When Tesla first came out with the Model S, they rented a space in my local shopping mall, which attracted a lot of attention and they had test drives in the parking lot for those that showed interest.

I know a lot of people bought Teslas because of this when they first came out.

They are still in the same spot in that shopping mall and their cars still attract attention.

We have nothing in the entire state of Oregon.

That makes it a lot harder to sell their cars here.

Part of the problem of perception is that there are not enough Lucids to see or test drive.

When Tesla first came out with the Model S, they rented a space in my local shopping mall, which attracted a lot of attention and they had test drives in the parking lot for those that showed interest.

They are still in the same spot in that shopping mall and their cars still attract attention.

Not their cars, but our cars(Lucids).

Lucid's Arizona showroom is in a high end mall and there are five test cars parked in reserved spaces in the parking garage adjoining the mall (and the Lucid showroom). Tesla and Polestar have showrooms in the same mall. Genesis and Lincoln have showrooms in an upscale outdoor mall. That seems to be the new trend.

What was Lucid's stats at CR anyways? Usually it's behind pay walls.
But I would like to be aware so that I can counter point family or friends who use their opinions.

What was Lucid's stats at CR anyways? Usually it's behind pay walls.
But I would like to be aware so that I can counter point family or friends who use their opinions.
Road test score of 94/100
Predicted owner satisfaction of 5/5
Predicted reliability 2/5
Total score of 66/100

Lucid seems to be good in most but then gets dinged on driving position 3/5 (tall drivers I assume), 1/5 for usability (?), Headlights 2/5 (??), Front access 3/5, child safety 3/5 (?), rear seat safety 3/5 (?), rear occupant protection 2/5 (??).

Ridiculous rankings. What are they talking about? How is usability a 1/5 and headlights a 2/5?

Road test score of 94/100
Predicted owner satisfaction of 5/5
Predicted reliability 2/5
Total score of 66/100

Lucid seems to be good in most but then gets dinged on driving position 3/5 (tall drivers I assume), 1/5 for usability (?), Headlights 2/5 (??), Front access 3/5, child safety 3/5 (?), rear seat safety 3/5 (?), rear occupant protection 2/5 (??).

Ridiculous rankings. What are they talking about? How is usability a 1/5 and headlights a 2/5?
Yeah that doesn't make ant sense. They didn't explain anything on that? How can they be so subjective?

Even idiots can be subjective...
I wouldn't go that far. Their subjective and rating doesn't match what consumers are buying. For example, CR gave Mazda Millenia a best buy rating in the early/mid 90s. People bought Camry, Accord, Maxima, ES300 instead.

I wouldn't go that far. Their subjective and rating doesn't match what consumers are buying. For example, CR gave Mazda Millenia a best buy rating in the early/mid 90s. People bought Camry, Accord, Maxima, ES300 instead.
So what? The Mazda was a better car. In general, Mazda still are better than most of its mainstream competitors. People bought VHS which destroyed Beta although Beta was a better alternative. What people buy proves nothing about the quality and performance of what they purchase.

Back