Consumer Reports rating of the Touring in Aug 2023 issue.

DougB

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring Air Rawl
Re: Lucid Air Rating CR Aug 2023 Issue

I have been a subscriber and ardent acolyte of Consumer Reports since the early 1990’s. I also have owned a Lucid Grand Touring for more than a year (since Aug 2022). So it’s no wonder that I have been anticipating your take on my Lucid GT with high expectations, since this vehicle is like no other, the best EV money can buy; best range, most power, eye-catching stunning elegant appearance; a luxury sedan with a muscle sports car handling all wrapped up in one. With the Tesla S receiving 99 out of 100 back in 2014, imagine my chagrin when the superior Lucid received a mediocre overall score of 66 (Road-Test Score 94 notwithstanding).

In the past, I’ve been relying on CR to guide my vehicle purchasing decisions. But in this case, it’s a good thing I purchased before your dismal ratings or I might have been dissuaded otherwise.

First, you tested the lower-trim Touring (as opposed to the Grand Touring awarded 2023 Luxury Car of the Year). Many readers might miss the distinction and misconstrue this report as representative of all Lucid Airs in general. For instance, your review mentions “cheap-feeling plastic trim”, which may be the case with the Touring, but the Grand Touring has beautifully stitched felt, leather & alcantara.

You also state “the controls are perplexing and far from user-friendly” which is far from the truth. I am a 75 year old who is not very tech savvy, but I learned the simple controls in a couple of days. Temperature and volume controls are physical buttons. The most-often used features are readily accessed with one tap on the touchscreen. The Settings for EV-specific information “buried within menus” needs occasional use and should only be accessed when the vehicle is parked. For me, outward visibility is not obstructed and adjusting the mirrors through a visual touchscreen is much easier than those mechanical buttons on the doors.

In my opinion, CR got it wrong this time and its testers deducted points from the Lucid Air based more on subjective grounds than objective.

Doug Barnett, Union City, California (SF East Bay)

I have been a subscriber and ardent acolyte of Consumer Reports since the early 1990’s. I also have owned a Lucid Grand Touring for more than a year (since Aug 2022). So it’s no wonder that I have been anticipating your take on my Lucid GT with high expectations, since this vehicle is like no other, the best EV money can buy; best range, most power, eye-catching stunning elegant appearance; a luxury sedan with a muscle sports car handling all wrapped up in one. With the Tesla S receiving 99 out of 100 back in 2014, imagine my chagrin when the superior Lucid received a mediocre overall score of 66 (Road-Test Score 94 notwithstanding).

In the past, I’ve been relying on CR to guide my vehicle purchasing decisions. But in this case, it’s a good thing I purchased before your dismal ratings or I might have been dissuaded otherwise.

First, you tested the lower-trim Touring (as opposed to the Grand Touring awarded 2023 Luxury Car of the Year). Many readers might miss the distinction and misconstrue this report as representative of all Lucid Airs in general. For instance, your review mentions “cheap-feeling plastic trim”, which may be the case with the Touring, but the Grand Touring has beautifully stitched felt, leather & alcantara.

You also state “the controls are perplexing and far from user-friendly” which is far from the truth. I am a 75 year old who is not very tech savvy, but I learned the simple controls in a couple of days. Temperature and volume controls are physical buttons. The most-often used features are readily accessed with one tap on the touchscreen. The Settings for EV-specific information “buried within menus” needs occasional use and should only be accessed when the vehicle is parked. For me, outward visibility is not obstructed and adjusting the mirrors through a visual touchscreen is much easier than those mechanical buttons on the doors.

In my opinion, CR got it wrong this time and its testers deducted points from the Lucid Air based more on subjective grounds than objective.

As a subscriber, you might consider writing them an email.

Yep, that's what it was. They acknowledged receipt of the email and said they would share it with the appropriate departments. I'm not sure if they will print it or respond. Will keep you all posted. Most likely they will say "we stick by our ratings".
It seems their criteria is a moving target. But some of their criticism was petty and subjective.

What I have found with CR car ratings is that one has to unpack the rating and look at the various components. For example, CR gave the Lucid, along with the EQS, the highest road test score. What took it down was predicted reliability.

It is true that many readers will simply look at the final score and say no. That is unfortunate. I am currently driving a Genesis GV60. Some reviewers have knocked it down saying it is simply a more expensive Ioniq 5. But that misses the point for me. My keys are small, luxurious and performance. Finding all three together is very difficult. But my point is that one has to determine what is important to a particular buyer/lessee.

CR currently has only fully rated 7 luxury EVs and it rates them as BMW I4, Tesla Model 3, followed by EQS and Lucid Air (one point separating them), Tesla Model S, Porsche Taycan and Polestar 2, in that order. Only the first two didn't get bad reliability scores. Note that the Lucid did blow by the Porsche.

Consumer Reports does have its "Talking Cars" video reviews. Here is the one on the Lucid Air:

What I have found with CR car ratings is that one has to unpack the rating and look at the various components. For example, CR gave the Lucid, along with the EQS, the highest road test score. What took it down was predicted reliability.

It is true that many readers will simply look at the final score and say no. That is unfortunate. I am currently driving a Genesis GV60. Some reviewers have knocked it down saying it is simply a more expensive Ioniq 5. But that misses the point for me. My keys are small, luxurious and performance. Finding all three together is very difficult. But my point is that one has to determine what is important to a particular buyer/lessee.

CR currently has only fully rated 7 luxury EVs and it rates them as BMW I4, Tesla Model 3, followed by EQS and Lucid Air (one point separating them), Tesla Model S, Porsche Taycan and Polestar 2, in that order. Only the first two didn't get bad reliability scores. Note that the Lucid did blow by the Porsche.

Consumer Reports does have its "Talking Cars" video reviews. Here is the one on the Lucid Air:

I never considered the Model 3 to be a luxury EV. It more seems to me like a Civic, but electric version.

I never considered the Model 3 to be a luxury EV. It more seems to me like a Civic, but electric version.
CR actually lists a M3 in the luxury category?

Sounds like a pretty fair review to me. They praised the good things and definitely brought out the not so good with the design that are undeniable. Surprised they did not bring up the double vision for taller people that has been discussed by a couple of taller folks here.

And a Tesla Model 3 has better materials and feeling than any of the Lucid trims?
They even rates the Model S lower. So they definitely are taking a ton of other variables into account, probably by price tag of the car first lol

You know, all these variables makes me even more skeptical of their (CR's) rating criteria.
Subjective: A guy taller than most people criticises the vehicle for not accommodating his size.
Personal: Some guy is not comfortable adjusting the mirrors & steering wheel using a visual touchscreen control panel.
Arbitrary: Deducting from a car's rating because of its cost. For the Lucid category (at least for me), price is irrelevant. That's like someone going to the French Laundry restaurant and bad mouthing the food merely because it is too expensive, and not that it is actually bad. Come on!
On the other issue, yes, most Teslas on the road today are not luxury vehicles, but more like cheaply made glorified golf carts with an iPad on the dashboard.

And seriously, how is it that the Tesla S got the highest rating ever (99 out of a 100) back in 2014. At that time good reliability couldn't have been very well established. So why the near flawless score?

Arbitrary: Deducting from a car's rating because of its cost. For the Lucid category (at least for me), price is irrelevant. That's like someone going to the French Laundry restaurant and bad mouthing the food merely because it is too expensive, and not that it is actually bad. Come on!
You are not the typical CR reader nor the typical car buyer. For most people cost is a definite issue. If one is fortunate enough to not worry about cost, CR is probably not the best resource for a car purchase.

Ha - much better than a Civic and really a poor comment by a Moderator. You should be better than that. Lead by example please….

Ha - much better than a Civic and really a poor comment by a Moderator. You should be better than that. Lead by example please….
Why is it a poor comment? I don't believe anyone considers a model 3 a luxury vehicle. Civic may be a stretch, but the model 3 is nicknamed the California Camry for a reason.

Reactions: raj
So, as a moderator, I can’t give my opinion of a car? How is it a poor comment? If you were to do some research on it, you would find that the cars actually compare to each other quite favorably (except in build quality were Honda has a huge advantage):
  • Their exterior and interior dimensions and capacities are very similar:
    Item (all in inches)
    Tesla Model 3
    Honda Civic
    Difference
    front legroom​
    42.7​
    42.3​
    +0.4​
    rear legroom​
    35.2​
    37.4​
    -2.2​
    front headroom​
    40.3​
    39.3​
    +1​
    rear headroom​
    37.7​
    37.1​
    +0.6​
    front shoulder room​
    56.3​
    57​
    -0.7​
    rear shoulder room​
    54​
    55​
    -1​
    length​
    184.4​
    182.7​
    +2.1​
    width​
    72.8​
    70.9​
    +1.9​
    height​
    56.8​
    55.7​
    +1.1​
  • The Civic is the best selling compact car. The Tesla Model 3 is the best selling compact EV.
  • According to Carmax, a Honda Civic is the most common car traded in on a Tesla Model 3. (Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carm...ed-brand-as-ev-interest-spikes-180624072.html)
In sum, I consider the two cars to be extremely similar and to appeal to the same buyer. They are both very common, especially here in Southern California.

One more thing: please don’t come to this forum and direct a moderator on how to “behave.” if anything, it is your post that is in bad form. Enjoy your Camry!

So, as a moderator, I can’t give my opinion of a car? How is it a poor comment? If you were to do some research on it, you would find that the cars actually compare to each other quite favorably (except in build quality were Honda has a huge advantage):
  • Their exterior and interior dimensions and capacities are very similar:
    Item (all in inches)
    Tesla Model 3
    Honda Civic
    Difference
    front legroom​
    42.7​
    42.3​
    +0.4​
    rear legroom​
    35.2​
    37.4​
    -2.2​
    front headroom​
    40.3​
    39.3​
    +1​
    rear headroom​
    37.7​
    37.1​
    +0.6​
    front shoulder room​
    56.3​
    57​
    -0.7​
    rear shoulder room​
    54​
    55​
    -1​
    length​
    184.4​
    182.7​
    +2.1​
    width​
    72.8​
    70.9​
    +1.9​
    height​
    56.8​
    55.7​
    +1.1​
  • The Civic is the best selling compact car. The Tesla Model 3 is the best selling compact EV.
  • According to Carmax, a Honda Civic is the most common car traded in on a Tesla Model 3. (Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carm...ed-brand-as-ev-interest-spikes-180624072.html)
In sum, I consider the two cars to be extremely similar and to appeal to the same buyer. They are both very common, especially here in Southern California.

One more thing: please don’t come to this forum and direct a moderator on how to “behave.” if anything, it is your post that is in bad form. Enjoy your Camry!
I don't understand when people refuse to acknowledge Teslas as luxury cars. A Tesla M3 competes more with BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, Audi A4 in all dimensions, price, and categories than a Honda civic. Do you not consider 3 series, C class, and A4 luxury cars?

I think the Civic is substantially more luxurious than a Tesla 3. The Civic today is not the same down market vehicle of the 70’s-80’s. It is nicely appointed with a great cabin and a decently styled exterior. Ride and drive is surprisingly good. The Tesla 3 is cool because of the Tesla brand but as a vehicle it disappoints in every other element of the driving experience.

I don't understand when people refuse to acknowledge Teslas as luxury cars. A Tesla M3 competes more with BMW 3 series, Mercedes C class, Audi A4 in all dimensions, price, and categories than a Honda civic. Do you not consider 3 series, C class, and A4 luxury cars?
I drove a Model 3 for three years. It’s a fine car. Just as a Honda Civic is. (I think folks are unduly dissing the Civic here.) They are nice cars.

The Model 3 is not in Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series territory in terms of luxury. They are just not comparable cars. No shame in that. That’s not what Model 3 is about.

Model S is certainly closer to luxury. But the materials just don’t match the feel of the German brands (or even Lexus, Infinity, etc.) That’s okay. Teslas offer unique qualities that none of those cars can match. They are some of the best EVs available.

I don’t know why people get all caught up in these comparisons as if they automatically mean people are saying Teslas suck or something. Or why that even matters on a Lucid forum.

Back