Consumer Reports

The bottom line: if you're buying an EV that you want to drive without worrying about hypermiling techniques and still get good range, Lucid will deliver the most. Forget about EPA ratings and advertising hype. Among EVs in the same size class, the Lucid will get you further down the road in any given set of traffic, speed, road, terrain, and weather conditions than any other similar EV.

No reviewer has ever wrung more range out of a directly competing EV than out of the Lucid.
I agree as to range. I don't understand all the people who complain that they are not getting the EPA range; neither is anyone else. But the Lucid range is greater than anyone else's and that will apply whether one hypermiles (ugh) or drives it like she stole it.

As to the best car, that depends upon the buyer. If ride and handling are the key functions, then I would agree that the Lucid Air is the vehicle. If, on the other hand, software is the key component for a buyer, she might look elsewhere. The most obvious example: a buyer who wants an SUV won't want a Lucid Air.

I totally hear you. I’m not suggesting I love the fact that it’s confusing, by any means.

That said, it’s all about experience and speed. The faster you drive, the lower the efficiency, period - as @DeaneG mentioned, efficiency goes down approximately with the square of your speed, so speed really hurts.

Also, efficiency improves after 2k-3k miles or so.

Also, you get better at learning how to drive it efficiently when needed. :)
Yes, I admit our normal speeds were higher most of the time on our trip. I know certain times we had the cruise set at 77 or 78, other times 79-80 but where the speed limit was 80, we had it set at 82. ;)

If, on the other hand, software is the key component for a buyer, she might look elsewhere. The most obvious example: a buyer who wants an SUV won't want a Lucid Air.

Fortunately, it seems Lucid is still plugging away at their software. For my money, it has already largely covered the feature gap with Tesla's software. A couple of things I might like are still missing (sentry mode and web browsing), but it has some features that are very useful to me that the Tesla doesn't (360-view, car play, dual satellite views, USB music stick, etc.). It still has a way to go with reliability/stability, but the progress since UX 2.0 replaced UX 1.0 leaves the convinced it is just a matter of time -- and our Tesla software is not flawless, either.

As for wanting an SUV with good range: here comes the Gravity!

Fortunately, it seems Lucid is still plugging away at their software. For my money, it has already largely covered the feature gap with Tesla's software. A couple of things I might like are still missing (sentry mode and web browsing), but it has some features that are very useful to me that the Tesla doesn't (360-view, car play, dual satellite views, USB music stick, etc.). It still has a way to go with reliability/stability, but the progress since UX 2.0 replaced UX 1.0 leaves the convinced it is just a matter of time -- and our Tesla software is not flawless, either.

I still think the are behind in software compare to other cars and Tesla, but have gotten a lot better. They really need the drivers infotainment to show the cars around and behind you. This was a promo feature before the Air even came out and is again a promo feature for the Gravity. Too bad the 2024 Airs could not come with the new Gravity steering wheel and the higher drivers infotainment display. Think that looks slick. :)

I still think the are behind in software compare to other cars and Tesla. They really need the drivers infotainment to show the cars around and behind you. This was a promo feature before the Air even came out and is again a promo feature for the Gravity. Too bad the 2024 Airs could not come with the new Gravity steering wheel and the higher drivers infotainment display. Think that looks slick. :)
It's not a major feature, and some would say they dont want to see a video game, but it's nevertheless still cool. Its not a need, per se, but I would love it as a tech geek.

Reactions: DBV
It's not a major feature, and some would say they dont want to see a video game, but it's nevertheless still cool. Its not a need, per se, but I would love it as a tech geek.
Hmm - once you have it, makes it hard to go backwards. I think it just adds to safety. Just seems like most EV’s have it, as it is more futuristic. And I do think it a major feature. Even my wife’s BMW has it, although not as good as other cars. 🙂

I'd love it as an option, so that the people who want it, can use it, and for people like me, I wouldn't want to be distracted with all that stuff.

But my point was that someone wanting an SUV will not want a Lucid Air. Not everyone cares about fast cars, good handling, etc. Perhaps they want the comfort of a vehicle that looks and drives like their old ICE sedans. I think most people on this forum are folks who care about driving but that is not everyone. There are folks out there who want to simply drive around town and think a Leaf is the ultimate car.

So...to repeat...IMO for those who primarily care about driving, right now the Lucid is the best sedan. Only time will tell what Lucid does as it updates the Air and what other manufacturers do to compete.

Reactions: DBV
I still think the are behind in software compare to other cars and Tesla, but have gotten a lot better.

I can't speak to the software in other cars because I haven't had enough experience with it. (Remember, though, that some German EVs don't even have OTA update capability, such as a friend's ID.4 that spent over a week getting its first software update over two years into ownership.) But I've been driving Teslas for nine years and a Lucid for over two.

Although the Lucid doesn't have sentry mode, video games, fart mode, and web browsing, it does have some more important features related to actual operation of the car that I want more and have in the Lucid that are not available in the Tesla. (I've mentioned some of them in my earlier post.)

To me, software is really just a component of a car's total control suite -- a means to an end, not the end in itself that some people seem to think software is. And as a driver or passenger operating or riding in the car while in motion, I find the Lucid's control suite much superior: a proper turn signal stalk instead of tiny black, ill-placed buttons; AC vents that can be adjusted without going into a software menu; volume, temp, and fan controls that a front passenger can operate fluidly even when the car is in motion; a gear selector stalk that is more intuitive than a screen slider (the automatic gear selector in the Tesla is close to useless), blind spot images more in the driver's line of sight.

The only thing I would rate higher in the Tesla's software is its speed and reliability, and Lucid is beginning to close the gap on both. However, no amount of software updates are going to put a turn signal stalk, a gear selector lever, and manual A/C and volume controls in our Tesla. In fact, I've come to view driving our Tesla as more hobbled than improved by its software approach.

I can't speak to the software in other cars because I haven't had enough experience with it. (Remember, though, that some German EVs don't even have OTA update capability, such as a friend's ID.4 that spent over a week getting its first software update over two years into ownership.) But I've been driving Teslas for nine years and a Lucid for over two.

Although the Lucid doesn't have sentry mode, video games, fart mode, and web browsing, it does have some more important features related to actual operation of the car that I want more and have in the Lucid that are not available in the Tesla. (I've mentioned some of them in my earlier post.)

To me, software is really just a component of a car's total control suite -- a means to an end, not the end in itself that some people seem to think software is. And as a driver or passenger operating or riding in the car while in motion, I find the Lucid's control suite much superior: a proper turn signal stalk instead of tiny black, ill-placed buttons; AC vents that can be adjusted without going into a software menu; volume, temp, and fan controls that a front passenger can operate fluidly even when the car is in motion; a gear selector stalk that is more intuitive than a screen slider (the automatic gear selector in the Tesla is close to useless), blind spot images more in the driver's line of sight.

The only thing I would rate higher in the Tesla's software is its speed and reliability, and Lucid is beginning to close the gap on both. However, no amount of software updates are going to put a turn signal stalk, a gear selector lever, and manual A/C and volume controls in our Tesla. In fact, I've come to view driving our Tesla as more hobbled than improved by its software approach.
I get it and everyone is different. I prefer the Yoke with no signal stalks and volume controls are easy with the slider button on the right hand side of the steering wheel. That is why I really like the design of the new Lucid steering wheel on the Gravity, as it looks like a great compromise and allows you to see the drivers infotainment much better. At least it looks that way, in the pictures I have seen.

But, I really don’t like discussing Tesla on this forum, as it is about Lucid. Although, sometimes you just can’t help it. 🙂

I get it and everyone is different. I prefer the Yoke with no signal stalks and volume controls are easy with the slider button on the right hand side of the steering wheel.
I'd say Yoke vs no Yoke...all within a muscle memory.
I can't imagine waking up, looking for my wife's g-spot and finding it on her forehead because Tesla decided to switch it. You get the analogy.
The nightmare.

But, I really don’t like discussing Tesla on this forum, as it is about Lucid. Although, sometimes you just can’t help it. 🙂

I understand, but it's hard to avoid when a Tesla owner who does not appear to own a Lucid comments that Tesla's software is better. I do have to wonder the source of that opinion.

Lucid did itself no favors with the hot mess that was UX 1.0, and it created a long overhang that still infuses press and internet commentary on the car. I see it even today in virtually every comment section on any video reviewing or discussing the Lucid. But Lucid's software has matured vastly since UX 1.0 days in speed, reliability, and content.

A year ago, when discussing whether we could go down to two vehicles if the Gravity turned out to be a suitable replacement for our Honda Odyssey, my partner was adamant that we could not, as he was too leery of Lucid's software, finding it both cumbersome and unreliable. That objection has now completely evaporated, and he is beginning to join me in preferring to drive the Lucid.

I'd say Yoke vs no Yoke...all within a muscle memory.
I can't imagine waking up, looking for my wife's g-spot and finding it on her forehead because Tesla decided to switch it. You get the analogy.
The nightmare.

Hmm. Kinda casts your "Become an organ donor" sign-off in a new light.

Road test score of 94/100
Predicted owner satisfaction of 5/5
Predicted reliability 2/5
Total score of 66/100
- This compares to a Kia EV6 at 91, BMW ix at 85, Tesla 3 at 78, Subaru Solterra at 75, Nissan Leaf at 70, etc.

Lucid seems to score highly in most categories but then gets dinged on driving position 3/5 (tall drivers I assume), 1/5 for usability (?), Headlights 2/5 (??), Front access 3/5, child safety 3/5 (?), rear seat safety 3/5 (?), rear occupant protection 2/5 (??).

Something seems very off with this scoring model...
Why the EV6 ranked that high? Its more expensive than the Ioniq5.

One odd quirk. I am a CR member and I went to the reports and if I use the search function, I get the Lucid report. But if I go to the ratings chart for electric vehicles, it is not there nor under any other relevant category I can think of. Perhaps it takes a while for the individual report to make it into the chart.
It’s under the luxury models
IMG_8933.png

You are right. It is 800 dollars more, which is nothing.
I just test drove the EV6 and its MSRP was 59,400. The Ioniq5 limited is 53k both AWD. The Model Y AWD Long Range with 19 inch tires is 44,500 after rebate.

Back