Consumer Reports

I just test drove the EV6 and its MSRP was 59,400. The Ioniq5 limited is 53k both AWD. The Model Y AWD Long Range with 19 inch tires is 44,500 after rebate.
I was comparing the base prices, which is what most car mags do.
Understood. I was thinking more about what your wife might do to you if she comes across this thread.
Now that’s true.. there’s two things that can make you an organ donor: FSD and your wife!

Last edited:
I'd say Yoke vs no Yoke...all within a muscle memory.
I can't imagine waking up, looking for my wife's g-spot and finding it on her forehead because Tesla decided to switch it. You get the analogy.
The nightmare.
Hopefully Lucid won't fall into this trap
To me, software is really just a component of a car's total control suite -- a means to an end, not the end in itself that some people seem to think software is. And as a driver or passenger operating or riding in the car while in motion, I find the Lucid's control suite much superior: a proper turn signal stalk instead of tiny black, ill-placed buttons; AC vents that can be adjusted without going into a software menu; volume, temp, and fan controls that a front passenger can operate fluidly even when the car is in motion; a gear selector stalk that is more intuitive than a screen slider (the automatic gear selector in the Tesla is close to useless), blind spot images more in the driver's line of sight.

I concur but the change in basic functions for no discernable reason is common among car companies. BMW had its charging port on its PHEVs on the front left fender. Then it came out with its electrics and used the right rear fender. Genesis had its steering wheel button sets reversed. Etc. Etc. As Lucid Air continues and starts to have second and third generation vehicles, I hope it won't fall into this senseless (to me) trap.

But to be fair, it is not hard to make the Tesla interior look pretty bleak.

Hopefully Lucid won't fall into this trap

I concur but the change in basic functions for no discernable reason is common among car companies. BMW had its charging port on its PHEVs on the front left fender. Then it came out with its electrics and used the right rear fender. Genesis had its steering wheel button sets reversed. Etc. Etc. As Lucid Air continues and starts to have second and third generation vehicles, I hope it won't fall into this senseless (to me) trap.

But to be fair, it is not hard to make the Tesla interior look pretty bleak.

I think changes are sometimes random -- often driven by designers who need to be kept busy -- but sometimes have an engineering purpose not immediately obvious to the buyer. Charge port location can be a function of where the inverter is located and the desire to keep wiring runs as short as possible. If the inverter is moved for engineering reasons, the charge port might follow. For instance, the Lucid chart port is located adjacent to the Wunderbox instead of at the front or rear of the car where almost any DCFC cable might reach it.

There's been a lot of speculation about the Tesla yoke and loss of stalks. Many think it was Musk trying to signal that full self driving really was on the way and driver controls were on the way out. The earlier loss of the driver's binnacle and the transfer of its functions to a center screen was attributed to the same impetus. Others think all this was just another manifestation of his tendency to use customers as guinea pigs, such as he is doing with FSD.

After living with the aggravation of the Tesla yoke, I'm waiting (with a good dollop of worry) to find out whether the Gravity squircle really is in service of an advancement of usability or something more misbegotten.

My real world lifetime range is 354 miles for Touring (20" wheels) @ 3.85 m/KW, and I have elevation.

The only time my range depletes is during the summer where I have to crank up the A/C. I think heat & A/C are major factors in "real world" range (as well as elevation, wind, driving style, and tires), so where you live is a big factor.

Consumer reports favors the lowest common denominator. I did not buy a Lucid because I am interested in the lowest common denominator.

I think the Lucid Air is best suited for people that like to drive a dynamically superior vehicle, which was road test rated thusly ahead of all luxury EV competitors. Some are disappointed in the performance of the self-park and self-drive functions. Such people can try using the Stalking function in which they walk down the street and their car will simply follow at a safe distance. Just remember to turn it off before going into your house.

I'm going to turn off Stalk Mode now and take my hot Asian girlfriend to a Mindfulness Retreat where you can't talk to or touch anyone for a week.

I think the Lucid Air is best suited for people that like to drive a dynamically superior vehicle, which was road test rated thusly ahead of all luxury EV competitors. Some are disappointed in the performance of the self-park and self-drive functions. Such people can try using the Stalking function in which they walk down the street and their car will simply follow at a safe distance. Just remember to turn it off before going into your house.

I'm going to turn off Stalk Mode now and take my hot Asian girlfriend to a Mindfulness Retreat where you can't talk to or touch anyone for a week.
This is basically Summon in a nutshell 🤣

This is hilarious. But having finished laughing, it doesn't completely work. I concur with those who don't trust auto park to park their cars no matter who is the manufacturer. But the summons feature is truly useful in one circumstance: when some $%Wass in a parking lot parks so close to the driver side of a car that the driver can't open the door and squeeze in (and before all the jokes start I am thin). A summons feature can pull the car out.

This doesn't happen very often. But as Gus McCrae said in Lonesome Dove: "Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it."

Consumer reports favors the lowest common denominator. I did not buy a Lucid because I am interested in the lowest common denominator.

Not LCD, but the Everyman. And for cars, that ain't you @Bunnylebowski. Or me. Our value propositions are simply different.

As House said: everyone lies. CL does not lie. But I do not agree, for ME, with its car reviews. Life goes on. Let's be honest, a Lucid us not for the average person, even if money was no object.

In general, I am a fan of CR. It's an excellent publication. I ignore the car reviews,EXCEPT when I am asked to help buy a car for a friend's youngson or daughter.

When it started in the 30s, it was the only publication exposing the rampant con artists in merchandising. I would suggest it is aimed at the the intelligent everyman. Correct, it is not aimed At you or me, nor any early adopters buying $100k cutting edge electric cars. I still think it should be applauded for its work. On refrigerators, soap, insurance. Etc. It does not lie.

Last edited:
Back