Car & Driver tests the Lucid range

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance

As noted in the article, only the Taycan managed to beat its range and that range is less than half of the Lucid's.

I know I won't get the EPA range but the Lucid will still give me way more than anyone else!

As noted in the article, only the Taycan managed to beat its range and that range is less than half of the Lucid's.

I know I won't get the EPA range but the Lucid will still give me way more than anyone else!

Hi. How come I am only getting 755km on a full charge and my range is less than 400 km

Because that's what the car with 21 inch wheels is rated for. If you had 19" wheels, it would show a higher number at full charge. Your range has so many variables - elevation changes, how you drive, temperature, wind. I average 2.5 to 3.0 miles/kwh in daily driving because I don't think about getting the best efficiency but can get 4.2 on the freeway when I try to get the best range. And if I drove at 30 mph on absolutely flat streets with no stops, I could probably get 5 m/kwh.

Because that's what the car with 21 inch wheels is rated for. If you had 19" wheels, it would show a higher number at full charge. Your range has so many variables - elevation changes, how you drive, temperature, wind. I average 2.5 to 3.0 miles/kwh in daily driving because I don't think about getting the best efficiency but can get 4.2 on the freeway when I try to get the best range. And if I drove at 30 mph on absolutely flat streets with no stops, I could probably get 5 m/kwh.
Did you see an efficiency improvement as you added miles? I just baby this thing around and never See north of 3.

my friend‘s Mach E gets them exactly the EPA 3.3 mi/kWh pretty much all the time.

Did you see an efficiency improvement as you added miles? I just baby this thing around and never See north of 3.

my friend‘s Mach E gets them exactly the EPA 3.3 mi/kWh pretty much all the time.
Don’t have enough miles yet but driving from SD to OC/LA, I can get over 4 staying in the 2 slow lanes. Practicing for some long trips coming up and trying to understand charge planning where charger availability is low. There are several members that have experienced better efficiency once they get a few thousand miles in but others that haven’t.

The Air seems to use a lot of energy every time it powers up, so efficiency on short trips is quite low. Much better on longer drives.
It also makes a lot of fan noise when L2 slow charging at home compared to my prior EVs, and generates comparatively more heat. My other EVs often didn't operate fans at all on an L2 charge. Maybe it's conservative battery management/cooling, or just an area for further software development.

The Air seems to use a lot of energy every time it powers up, so efficiency on short trips is quite low. Much better on longer drives.
It also makes a lot of fan noise when L2 slow charging at home compared to my prior EVs, and generates comparatively more heat. My other EVs often didn't operate fans at all on an L2 charge. Maybe it's conservative battery management/cooling, or just an area for further software development.
Yeah I've noticed the fans when charging at home too. It actually has almost never turned those super loud fans on while I was DC charging (at 170+Kw) so that seems like another thermal management software bug if anything.

Yes, if you take a lot of short trips, the efficiency is quite low due to the BMS fans and general power consumption between sleep cycles. I may only get in the low 3’s if I am doing short trips, but low 4’s on trips. I am averaging 3.6 -3.7 for the life of the car

Yes. But you are talking miles. I’m talking kilometres.

Do you mean the car is not delivering the range it shows in the indicator?

Thats a known limitation of the pre-2.0 software.
In 2.0 (should be rolling out soon) the indicated range factors in some more history instead of just assuming you’ll get the epa rated efficiency the whole time.

Do you mean the car is not delivering the range it shows in the indicator?

Thats a known limitation of the pre-2.0 software.
In 2.0 (should be rolling out soon) the indicated range factors in some more history instead of just assuming you’ll get the epa rated efficiency the whole time.
Hi. No it’s not. It only charges to 755 km and then I get a range of less than 400 km.

Hi. No it’s not. It only charges to 755 km and then I get a range of less than 400 km.
755 km = 469 miles (you are on 21” just like mine)

400 km is like 52% of EPA. This is quite low. You have many short distance spirited drive?

Yeah I've noticed the fans when charging at home too. It actually has almost never turned those super loud fans on while I was DC charging (at 170+Kw) so that seems like another thermal management software bug if anything.
It’s not bug. It’s intentional to prolong battery life by keeping a steady temperature. Lucid battery will last longer than Tesla battery.

Yes, if you take a lot of short trips, the efficiency is quite low due to the BMS fans and general power consumption between sleep cycles. I may only get in the low 3’s if I am doing short trips, but low 4’s on trips. I am averaging 3.6 -3.7 for the life of the car
Mine is 21”

3.3 mi/kWh is my standard daily drive last 400 miles.

3.0 mi/kWh is life time of car. I started from around 2.5~2.6 area.

I can get 3.7 mi/kWh if I drive long distance.

Impressive. 3.1 for me.

Agree with 19 inch wheels without aero covers I am at 3.6-3.7 for past 4000 miles which is mostly short trips over under 30miles. The one time I went for a longer trip of 250 miles I averaged 4.1. Since this is my first EV, I didn't know much about efficiency and was often watching it because I wanted to make sure that this car could handle trips from NJ to family in Boston . After 4000 miles, I don't even look at my efficiency numbers anymore because this car has more than plentiful range, even with spirited driving.

755 km = 469 miles (you are on 21” just like mine)

400 km is like 52% of EPA. This is quite low. You have many short distance spirited drive?
No. I would say 50 - 50. Still advertised full charge supposed to be 840 km. But mine fully charged stops at 755 km range. That is 85 less km.

No. I would say 50 - 50. Still advertised full charge supposed to be 840 km. But mine fully charged stops at 755 km range. That is 85 less km.
You haven’t answered, do you have 21” wheels? If you do, then it is displaying the proper mileage. Only the 19” wheels will give 840 km

Wow so you can't do a conversion on your phone or computer? I converted your KM to Miles and understood immediately that you are on 21" wheels which are clearly advertised and shown to have the range you are showing at full charge. You keep talking about 755 km at full charge and I already told you yesterday that is only on 19" wheels. So go check which wheels you have.

Back