I made a video about range.

I been driving GT with 21s and still getting same range which makes me think it’s more speed and driving style that’s affecting range which isn’t really changeable

IMG_3900.jpeg

I been driving GT with 21s and still getting same range which makes me think it’s more speed and driving style that’s affecting range which isn’t really changeable

View attachment 18217
It’s not tire size or wheel size that matters. It’s the type of tire. “Stickiness” and rolling resistance of summer tires is greater than all season.

I have a different take based on my experience of what impacts range. I live in New England and this is my first winter with my Lucid Air Touring. Since winter has arrived, I'm getting about HALF the specified range in my typical short distance driving when I have the HEAT on including heated seats and steering wheel. Yesterday, I got in the car and realized I had only 88 miles of range left for my 46 mile round trip to work. I used the heat only to take the extreme chill off on my commute to work when it was about 28 degrees outside and used 30 miles of range to go the 23 miles. On the way home in the afternoon when it was about 40 degrees outside, I didn't use the heat at all and I used 24 miles of range to get home. The Lucid has a relatively small battery for it's specified range due to the car's efficiency - I THINK that the Lucid probably uses the same amount of energy to heat the car as any other EV and thus it's range is more adversely impacted by using the heater and other accessories.

I have a different take based on my experience of what impacts range. I live in New England and this is my first winter with my Lucid Air Touring. Since winter has arrived, I'm getting about HALF the specified range in my typical short distance driving when I have the HEAT on including heated seats and steering wheel. Yesterday, I got in the car and realized I had only 88 miles of range left for my 46 mile round trip to work. I used the heat only to take the extreme chill off on my commute to work when it was about 28 degrees outside and used 30 miles of range to go the 23 miles. On the way home in the afternoon when it was about 40 degrees outside, I didn't use the heat at all and I used 24 miles of range to get home. The Lucid has a relatively small battery for it's specified range due to the car's efficiency - I THINK that the Lucid probably uses the same amount of energy to heat the car as any other EV and thus it's range is more adversely impacted by using the heater and other accessories.
Consider using the seat heaters more than the vehicle heater. Also, you might want to switch the range indicator to percentage instead of miles remaining, and do your own calculation. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.

It’s not tire size or wheel size that matters. It’s the type of tire. “Stickiness” and rolling resistance of summer tires is greater than all season.
Bobby can I understand why does the system subtract that Initial range like on these 21s with 80% charge it only says 365 miles

On my Main car with 20s it wil say 400+ miles at 80%

Any ideas ?

Bobby can I understand why does the system subtract that Initial range like on these 21s with 80% charge it only says 365 miles

On my Main car with 20s it wil say 400+ miles at 80%

Any ideas ?
The system assumes OEM tires which are summer for the 21"and 20" wheels, they are all season for the 19" wheels. It then takes the EPA range for those wheels/tires.

The system assumes OEM tires which are summer for the 21"and 20" wheels, they are all season for the 19" wheels. It then takes the EPA range for those wheels/tires.
I bet you the system still thinks I have 19 inch wheels. I saw latest update supports tires swap so does it say what current tires you have now ?

I bet you the system still thinks I have 19 inch wheels. I saw latest update supports tires swap so does it say what current tires you have now ?
Yes, it shows what TPMS has been loaded in the car.

. . . I THINK that the Lucid probably uses the same amount of energy to heat the car as any other EV and thus its range is more adversely impacted by using the heater and other accessories.

It'll take the same number of BTU's to heat a Lucid, no matter how it's done. However, the Lucid Air (except for the Sapphire) uses resistive heating elements to heat the interior. EVs that use heat pumps (e. g., Teslas) use less energy than EVs using resistive elements to generate a given number of BTU's of heating. The Gravity will use a heat pump, and word is that future Airs will use them throughout the trim range.

Great video Bobby!! I am a born again Grandpa driver! At least for now. It's not fun to drive so conservatively with such an amazing car but for a few days I can do it to find out that the figures are true.Thanks

Consider using the seat heaters more than the vehicle heater. Also, you might want to switch the range indicator to percentage instead of miles remaining, and do your own calculation. Much info about this can be found at www.lucidupdates.com.
Thanks for the info

A friend shared these screenshots for how tires can be swapped.
How does it know the current tires tho ??

IMG_3924.png
IMG_3925.png
And

Because the current tires is what is set on the car. I had the option to choose my 21s, so it must be what is stored in the car as a set of tpms.

Yes.

And, for example, mine does not list an option for 20s, presumably because I've never had 20s. So that means the car stores the calibrations the first time, but the first time has to be Lucid, it would seem.

Thanks for the video and I found it informative.

The drive video is also nice - I want to take my Air on a trip now LOL.

The EA infrastructure feedback is fair and objective. As more stations are added and are fully operational the adoption will certainly increase.

Bobby, I really appreciate the video. It was eye-opening and convincing to see that, yes, you can achieve the EPA results, with judicious use of the go-pedal.

At 1:30, you correctly mention that drag is proportional to the square of speed, but the math works differently than how you expressed it. One might conclude that if increasing drag by 10% results in a 100% increase in drag force, that increasing your test speed from 65mph to 72mph would cut your efficiency to 2.1mi/kWh, and efficiency at 79mph would then be about 1.1mi/kWh. Yikes! Thankfully, it's not that dire. A 10% increase in speed means you're going at 1.1 times the speed you were before, and the resulting drag is 1.1 squared, or 1.21, which is a 21% increase in drag.

An interesting study on efficiency of several non-EVs showed how increasing speed typically impacts efficiency. I'd love to try this with my Air and report back on what efficiency I observe at different steady-state speeds in neutral conditions.

Thanks for the video and I found it informative.

The drive video is also nice - I want to take my Air on a trip now LOL.

The EA infrastructure feedback is fair and objective. As more stations are added and are fully operational the adoption will certainly increase.
In CA, there are plenty of EA charge stations. The issue I experienced is not so much finding an EA charge station (along I10 and I5) but there is a high number of EA chargers that are not functional or heavily throttled. These compromised functionality results in slow access to charging and slow charging.

In many EA locations, the 350kW Hyper Chargers typically run at less, sometimes way less, than the rated charger speed. Charging my AGT @ an initial 40% SoC, most of the time the charge speed is less, often way less than 100kW. I'd say 60-70kW is typical. The other problem is, EA charger doesn't always recognize my car. I end up spending 15-20min on the phone just to get the charging initiated.

Back