How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Biden Admin is very pro EV adoption, and very hawkish on Anti-Trust (and now likely to hate Musk for political reasons).

Remember when the Bell Cos were forced to make their cables available to competing formats? For a price of course, but it was a game-changer. Could it be forced on Tesla?
Would be stupid if it was. Tesla built their network from the ground up. Other companies should do the same. As a Tesla owner, I don’t want any other non Tesla cars using the Tesla superchargers. One big advantage for Tesla, which makes it hard to leave them.

Would be stupid if it was. Tesla built their network from the ground up. Other companies should do the same. As a Tesla owner, I don’t want any other non Tesla cars using the Tesla superchargers. One big advantage for Tesla, which makes it hard to leave them.
The standard enforcement for CSS chargers is already happening with it being known that it’ll likely trickle to the US sooner than later.

Contrary to belief, Tesla also isn’t a car company. They’re far more focused on providing services whether software or infrastructure.

It goes both ways. You don’t want others using Tesla chargers yet with adaptors we see reports of Teslas being charged at EA sites. What makes you so entitled?

The standard enforcement for CSS chargers is already happening with it being known that it’ll likely trickle to the US sooner than later.

Contrary to belief, Tesla also isn’t a car company. They’re far more focused on providing services whether software or infrastructure.
Yeah, and don't forget, Tesla stands to make money on opening up their charger network to other EVs. They aren't going to be offering charging for free, after all.

Yeah, and don't forget, Tesla stands to make money on opening up their charger network to other EVs. They aren't going to be offering charging for free, after all.
Yes - they have already said they will open it. It won’t happen immediately. I would assume they would begin with new stations with dual Tesla/ccs cables under the infrastructure bill, they switch out stations as replacement cycles come around.

It would be good if some other car manufacturers had a more direct interest in the charging experience of their customers. Ford has shown prototype DCFC but I have heard nothing about them building out a network (perhaps they will just be for their own dealers use). It’s “safer” for automakers to not provide their own chargers (so no one can complain if they break) but Rivian is stepping in and I believe opened their first 3 DCFC locations recently. I know they lock them to Rivian but that doesn’t really bother me- every Rivian charging at one of their stations is essentially one less taking up an EA or similar spot. Doing something is better than nothing.

Great way to make sure EVs are a failed technology... there is already too much fragmentation in the market, promoting more will just drive up prices and reduce practicality.

Biden Admin is very pro EV adoption, and very hawkish on Anti-Trust (and now likely to hate Musk for political reasons).

Remember when the Bell Cos were forced to make their cables available to competing formats? For a price of course, but it was a game-changer. Could it be forced on Tesla?
I don't worship at the foot of Elon and would never buy a Tesla so long as there are alternatives (and there are). Having said that, Tesla took the risk of starting an electric car company and building out a proprietary charging network and I think it should be entitled to keep it proprietary if it wishes. But it should not be eligible for federal grants if it does keep it private. This is very different from the breakup of the Bell monopoly (other than SNETCO and Cincinnati Bell it controlled the entire country).

It’s really all about $$$. Tesla wants the federal funds. Federal funds come with strings requiring an open network. Tesla wants more $ through charging fees and subscriptions too.. I also think Tesla is realizing that the number of Tesla vehicles is growing faster than they can build the network So they need help.

it is possible that Tesla will change their proprietary plug to a CCS like they did in Europe. Either that or they will provide CCS adaptors (rather sell them as an add on) with every Tesla they sell to widen a Tesla’s charging network.

I am hearing from a lot of owners that they are getting no where near the estimated range published on the Lucid Motors site. I know this is not uncommon of any EV, including Tesla. But I am curious what range you are actually getting with your "normal" driving - however you normally drive.
Recent trip to Las Vegas from OC, California. EA super charged range 450 drove to Vegas non stop 4pax + luggage crusing @ 80 with AC blowing cold arrived vegas with 54miles range remaining. Total miles driven 259.6 Avg mi/kwh 2.8 -

Attachments

• 676C2298-B4DC-4BF8-9833-F6A1B3949A70.jpeg
    676C2298-B4DC-4BF8-9833-F6A1B3949A70.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 731DA8AA-26BB-4BAA-B04A-9DE85E2221DD.jpeg
    731DA8AA-26BB-4BAA-B04A-9DE85E2221DD.jpeg
    927 KB · Views: 75
it is possible that Tesla will change their proprietary plug to a CCS like they did in Europe. Either that or they will provide CCS adaptors (rather sell them as an add on) with every Tesla they sell to widen a Tesla’s charging network.
Apparently Tesla plans to add a second cable with the CCS plug. Per Elon in an interview:

“It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US.”

Take Elon's word for what its worth ha ha.

Apparently Tesla plans to add a second cable with the CCS plug. Per Elon in an interview:

“It’s a little trickier in the US because we have a different connector than the rest of the industry, but we will be adding the rest of the industry connectors as an option to Superchargers in the US.”

Take Elon's word for what its worth ha ha.

Yes but that only covers giving CCS cars access to Tesla chargers. For Teslas to access a CCS charger an adapter would be needed.

Yes but that only covers giving CCS cars access to Tesla chargers. For Teslas to access a CCS charger an adapter would be needed.
From what I understand every charging station would be dual cabled with CCS and Tesla proprietary chargers. For any non Tesla network charger a Tesla would continue to need an adaptor unless they drop their proprietary connector in future models.

From what I understand every charging station would be dual cabled with CCS and Tesla proprietary chargers. For any non Tesla network charger a Tesla would continue to need an adaptor unless they drop their proprietary connector in future models.
What about ChadeMo connectors for the cars that have them?

What about ChadeMo connectors for the cars that have them?

They will need an adapter and I think that need will continue to increase in North America.

For “current US” Tesla vehicles, yes. Note that Tealas in other countries have already moved away from having proprietary plugs and adopted CSS plugs on the vehicles themselves.

I don’t know the software or car industry well enough to say anything with certainty but I imagine being the former is much less prohibitive in terms of regulations.

Just plugged in. This is a fairly typical week for me. Charged last Saturday, got to 452 miles @ 90%. Missing about 80 miles (35 of which was lost after charging last Saturday and parking after driving 30 miles to a wedding). The rest is a combination of overnight drain, and freeway speeds/pulls for some fun. Outside of the range loss due to DCFC, very happy with results. My real numbers would be about 4.2-4.3 mi/kWh not factoring in the BMS loss.

Attachments

• 7CCC87A8-A8B4-4EDD-834D-777AFA182C21.jpeg
    7CCC87A8-A8B4-4EDD-834D-777AFA182C21.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
...[Teslas] in other countries have already moved away from having proprietary plugs and adopted CSS plugs on the vehicles themselves.
Only when mandated by those other countries. The US isn't real strong on mandates.

Only when mandated by those other countries. The US isn't real strong on mandates.
The US doesn't have to mandate it. Every other automaker has adopted CSS at this point. Tesla has to use CSS in Europe, anyway. They want to open up the charging network to make more money on non-Tesla customers. So superchargers are going to have CSS plugs eventually.

It's pretty much a no-brainer for Elon to ditch the proprietary connector at some point in the US. Who knows when? But they will do it. Just for the simplicity of it.

Back