How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am getting the same Miles/kWh in the DEP at 77MPH as I am getting with the R1T at 60 MPH

Attachments

• Rivian efficiency numbers.jpg
    Rivian efficiency numbers.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 147
Yesterday I went from Lake Havasu AZ to LA
I charged in Needles CA to 80% or 372 Miles of range and drove with the cruise set at 70 for 150 Miles....
To my surprise I was down to 120 Miles of range loosing an additional 100 Miles.
I did have a strong head wind........ I hope this is not the real world Usage.
Hi Bill
Have you ever wonder why it is not
516 X 80% = 412?

I am getting a similar number 360 range and set it to 80%
I was told by Lucid Studio that, with GT 21 inch wheels, the battery can only charge up to 455 miles.
(NOT actual driving range I am talking about.)

Hi Bill
516 X 80% = 412?

I was told by Lucid Studio that, with GT 21 inch wheels, the battery can only charge up to 455 miles.
It's because in reality it's Max Range (EPA) x 80% (real world fudge factor in ideal conditions) x 80% (real world other factors i.e weather, wind, elevation change)

And just to double stress this.

Every single vehicle … ICE or EV or Hydrogen
Perhaps...but not with equal impact. These variable seem to negatively impact EV performance much more than ICE.

Perhaps...but not with equal impact. These variable seem to negatively impact EV performance much more than ICE.
Not perhaps - for definite.

but yes, not with equal impact

as I wrote in another thread. For me … I don’t notice or care. When I am doing my commute (50x2miles) or bobbing around town, I tend to plug in at home (L1 charge 2miles per hour) and charge at EA once per week. Now I don’t go into the office more than 1-2 a week. I drive a significant elevation change every day (I live at 1500’ and everywhere is down to sea level) … but the key is … I drive exactly as I want.

then when I did the 1800 miles to Scottsdale and back, I would stop every 250 miles because I needed to. What I liked was again, with whatever elevation change, wind, speed, I still drive 4 hours or so before charging… again, which is what the family and I needed.

so is the range 456 (AGT 21”) … probably not. Does it matter to me? not find a time it has Yet.

we all know the conditions and route make a huge difference. To me, this is just part of an EV

Not perhaps - for definite.

but yes, not with equal impact

as I wrote in another thread. For me … I don’t notice or care. When I am doing my commute (50x2miles) or bobbing around town, I tend to plug in at home (L1 charge 2miles per hour) and charge at EA once per week. Now I don’t go into the office more than 1-2 a week. I drive a significant elevation change every day (I live at 1500’ and everywhere is down to sea level) … but the key is … I drive exactly as I want.

then when I did the 1800 miles to Scottsdale and back, I would stop every 250 miles because I needed to. What I liked was again, with whatever elevation change, wind, speed, I still drive 4 hours or so before charging… again, which is what the family and I needed.

so is the range 456 (AGT 21”) … probably not. Does it matter to me? not find a time it has Yet.

we all know the conditions and route make a huge difference. To me, this is just part of an EV
Very understandable--and very subjective. Range beyond 4 hours driving isn't important to you (tho i'd argue a good chunk of your $150k went into paying for more).

Lucid invested perhaps $1B (?) in order to be the range leader, and expects the market to pay a significant premium for top range (in a setting where, as a startup, an economist might say there should be "risk discount")

I doubt they made that decision lightly--they surely did market research, focus groups, etc. etc that told them Range = Value to a large segment of EV buyers.

My previous EV was a Ford Mach-E. The advertised range for my model was 270 miles. During perfect weather - 65-85 degrees, with the AC on I got between 260 to 310 miles per charge. So, mostly above the EP rating under those conditions. However, the range suffered appreciably as the temperature went down. Even without turning the heater on the range would be less than 260 and with the heater on more like 170 to 200. So far, with my Grand Touring I am getting in the 300 - 370 range - much less than the EP rating. I have been driving in 70-100 degree temperatures however and with the AC always on.

Very understandable--and very subjective. Range beyond 4 hours driving isn't important to you (tho i'd argue a good chunk of your $150k went into paying for more).

ABSOLUTELY, very subjective, I wasn't meaning to infer what works for me works for others... though perhaps trying to paint a picture of how daily / weekly the specific miles/kWh hasn't really bothered me.

Range was part of my criteria - drive / looks / dare I scarcity (since I live in an area where 40% of cars on the road seem to be tesla)
we wanted something that would comfortably get us to Tahoe (~220miles) - even if it was cold - or we hit a snow storm enroute. having driven 2800 (warm) miles, I am reasonably confident that even in snowmegeddon we'd be able to do the run. until it gets cold cold I won't know for sure. but it is part of our decision criteria.

Of course, we do this journey maybe 3 times a year. so it is also not critical. much more frequent is the 100 mile commute or the day / weekend trip with the family (say to wine country or down to carmel) all of which I know it does beautifully.

Hi Bill
516 X 80% = 412?

Good morning,
I am just seeing this now. EPA range is 469 as stated on your window sticker. Who ever told you that at lucid is wrong.
I have 4900 miles on my car now and yesterday for the first time I drove the car normal with out being conservative
I had 3.5 mi/kW for 120 miles in town and highway driving mixed.
I have been able to finally with conservative driving reach 4.2 mi/kW which would be 470 total range.

Good morning,
I am just seeing this now. EPA range is 469 as stated on your window sticker. Who ever told you that at lucid is wrong.
I have 4900 miles on my car now and yesterday for the first time I drove the car normal with out being conservative
I had 3.5 mi/kW for 120 miles in town and highway driving mixed.
I have been able to finally with conservative driving reach 4.2 mi/kW which would be 470 total range.
What? That’s not the EPA. I’m selling my car stat!

I think car tires do have a rolling resistance "break in" period, but I'd expect it to be only a few hundred miles.
Tire break-in is more like 1000-1500 miles and it's noticeable on any car (ICE included). Besides, any mechanism has a break-in period, where friction is higher, I'm just not sure how much matters for EVs, as they don't have many moving parts. I have not seen it on my Tesla M3 for example. Also I personally feel like anything below 80% of stated range on conservative driving is a problem, or manufacturer miss-statement. I had my arguments with Tesla too :).

Did a test today around town with my DE-P, 21" (aero cover removed), AC/music blasting.

Test 1: Swift, highway, aggressive driving, speed 80-105mph (too hard not to)
2.0mi/kWh (6.1mi, used 3kWh)

Test 2: Smooth, local street, calm driving at speed limit
3.0mi/kWh (10.9mi, used 4kWh)

Test 3: Smooth, highway, calm driving, speed 55-75mph
4.0mi/kWh (13.7mi, used 3kWh)

I have had the car for 4400mi, and the total avg is 2.7mi/kWh. From reading this thread, I guess I am somewhat inline with other DE-P owners.
I would expect Test2 to be the most economical. Slow city driving with lots of stops and goes, give me the best range on my Model 3. Have you enabled regenerative breaking?

I would expect Test2 to be the most economical. Slow city driving with lots of stops and goes, give me the best range on my Model 3. Have you enabled regenerative breaking?
Test 2 should give the best numbers but if accessories are running (A/C etc) it will skew the numbers as the distance traveled over time drops.

If you don't want to try hard with the regen, test 3 is actually the best. This car does love to go 70-75.

So 3821.1 Miles in a week of ownership 1321 kWh used 2.9 mi/kWh was my average mostly highway.
This morning no wind 44 degrees just off the charger I drove 47 miles never going over 55 mostly, 45 and under driving SUPER conservative, no heat, radio no heated seats or A/C
I got 3.1 mi/kWh which i think is unacceptable. If the battery were full it would be an equivalent range of 347 which is 26% less the the stated range.

I see videos of Lucid motors and other youtubers getting with in 20 miles of the stated max range. Almost 4000 miles of driving and with a lot effort, trying to get close to the max range I'm ALWAYS SHORT by at least 120 miles... Something is wrong with this car.

My tesla if I drove under 50 could easily exceed the max range stated by tesla
I am having the same experience. Although I only have 400 Miles so far mostly local roads.

I also test drove EQS [3 times] and definitely its car made by company with long history and physical vehicle is mature and luxurious, EV portion remains to be seen, range of 350 I found somewhat lacking, especially because it has to depend on independent charging stations, at the end dealer markup and just attitude of dealers was deal breaker, one of them told right as we entered that we have $ x markup on EQS, only if acceptable then they will talk or else!!

Tesla Model S is 400 but supercharge network is robust, but it's common and quality issues and other Tesla quirks made me look elsewhere [don't misunderstand, I have Tesla Model X on order for family and intend to have it] I intend to drive to Miami frequently, 300+ miles, lucid range even if i get @75-80% EPA will be fine
Tesla does not realistically get 400 miles on a charge. That number is unicorn smoke… honestly the EQSs range is as good as it gets in that area.

Back