How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have been losing about 1-2 miles an hour overnight when I first got my GT. My garage was in the 45-55 degree range. They took my car in for testing and could not find anything wrong. I was told that when it is below around 70 degrees the motor will come on throughout the night to keep the batteries warm. Also every time you open the Lucid app and wake up the car two "very powerful computers" turn on and they uses a lot of power booting up. When opening the app several hours apart appears to cause a loss of a few miles. I was told the solution was to keep my car plugged in when ever I was not using it at home and that would reduce the phantom drain issues. This sounds crazy to me since I have had 4 Teslas that might lose a mile or two a night unplugged.

Off topic. I haven't been tracking the lose lately as it is back in the shop because the battery died two days ago as I was pulling out of a parking space in a shopping center, blocking traffic until customer support helped me out. The batter was 67% charged at the time. I got the red batter icon. Did you know, unlike a Tesla, you can't do a hard or soft reboot while in the car? You have to actually leave the car and be far enough away that it goes into sleep mode. As if that is not crazy enough and dangerous. It will not reboot if the hazard lights are on. I had to call support twice to try to figure out wtf was going on. So I was sticking halfway into a driving lane for 20 minutes and had to keep leaving my car so it could reboot only to find that it wouldn't the first two time until I mentioned that I had the hazards on. It did work the 3rd time when I stepped away from my car, blocking traffic, with no hazards on. Once rebooted I was able to drive home.
I'm hopeful that transitioning the infotainment away from virtualized to native will solve this power consumption issue when the car wakes from sleep. A VM can be an insane power hog, especially here.

As for the battery dying, that's a pretty rotten experience. Sorry that happened to you!

Yeah, every time I’ve gotten good mileage it’s because I’ve actively paid attention to trying to do so. Most of the time, I end up at 2.5-3.2 because I’m passing and driving spiritedly. On a road trip, with judicious use of ACC, I’ve seen 3.5-3.9.

My wife has hit in the 4s before, but she’s less of a speed demon than me.

But it is fun to go with spirited drive isn't it, personally I would not stress myself out with Mi/Kw numbers, just enjoy the car and drive

But it is fun to go with spirited drive isn't it, personally I would not stress myself out with Mi/Kw numbers, just enjoy the car and drive
That's my thinking as well. I've put 430 miles on the car since Friday morning (@borski dude, I cannot stop) and so far my biggest range enemy is myself. This car is so easy to do >80mph in that I find myself doing it without thinking. I'm so used to my wife's palisade which needs some real encouragement to hit a decent clip that I have to recalibrate the motor neurons tied to the accelerator...

I recently trickle charged my car to 100% while I was away. It took about 7 days to charge from roughly 50% or so to 100%. Then it stopped charging and went to sleep for a week. I probably lost about 2 miles of range per day while it was sleeping. I got home about 1 week later having lost maybe about 10-15 miles of range with it just sitting dormant in my garage. So it went from about 465 miles at full charge to maybe 450 miles. Then I drove it heavily for a few days. A couple days of regular city driving and one round trip to Newport from San Diego. Absolutely did nothing to conserve range. Had AC on full blast at almost all moments, massage function on for at least 50% of the time, music all the way, screens at 100%, gunning it as hard as I could whenever there was open road. Ended up getting about 320 miles out of it before it went down to like 5% and I chickened out and charged. Add back maybe 10 miles from the ‘range leakage’ sitting in my garage for a week and that puts me around 330 miles from a 100% to 5% charge. Add back that 5% puts me at about 345 miles. EPA range for the GT on 21 inches is around 465? Forget the exact number. But that puts me at roughly 74% EPA. Honestly, I barely thought about range or battery conservation once while driving. I just enjoyed the ride and it was (for the most part) awesome. But the range I got was enough for my purposes.

Just my two cents.

Unfortunately, I do not live near either of them
But are you reasonably close to a regional/major airport? Tom has gone to where the car is before - like driving the DE-R in AZ. Can't hurt to contact them. It might help if you can lay out a route that will almost guarantee they can maintain 70 mph for the entirety of the test. Availability of GTs for testing, route planning, their availability compared to car availability, and perceived desirability of doing the test probably factors into when and where they do the test. Poor results in your attempts might make your car more desirable to them.

Insideevs does a 70 mph test while Edmunds test is 60% city/40% freeway.

I charged mine to 100% the other day and it only went up to 502.
That’s normal in any EV. That may be the highest you’ll ever see it too.

Of the three Teslas we’ve owned, only one exceed the EPA rated range at 100% charge - 261 miles instead of the published 259. We only saw that number once or twice, and only for a day or two right after delivery. It went gradually downhill from there.

Our other two Teslas fell shy of their rated range by about 3 to 7 miles, 100% charge, brand new. 288 instead of 295 rated miles. Same inexorable downward slide from there.

In our Tesla owning experience the loss of rated range is fastest during the first 50,000 miles of ownership, and then tapers off to where our Teslas are losing about two to three rated miles per year.

That's my thinking as well. I've put 430 miles on the car since Friday morning (@borski dude, I cannot stop) and so far my biggest range enemy is myself. This car is so easy to do >80mph in that I find myself doing it without thinking. I'm so used to my wife's palisade which needs some real encouragement to hit a decent clip that I have to recalibrate the motor neurons tied to the accelerator...
I’m at 5k. Trust me, I feel you.

50% range loss in Midwest February - that’s brutal!
We took a trip to Dallas and the outside temp was around 25-30 for the entire trip. Barely got 50% and the "gas gauge" didn't work very well. Much warmer on the way home and range was great. Not Lucid's fault but I wish that they could come up with a "smart gauge" that would factor in the outside temp and other factors. My son has a Tesla and said that I was an EV nubie! :)

We took a trip to Dallas and the outside temp was around 25-30 for the entire trip. Barely got 50% and the "gas gauge" didn't work very well. Much warmer on the way home and range was great. Not Lucid's fault but I wish that they could come up with a "smart gauge" that would factor in the outside temp and other factors. My son has a Tesla and said that I was an EV nubie! :)

Use abetterrouteplanner.com for your next road trip. It does factor outside air temperature, and I believe, wind conditions too.

FYI.. real time weather is a premium feature - $50 per year.

Yeah, every time I’ve gotten good mileage it’s because I’ve actively paid attention to trying to do so. Most of the time, I end up at 2.5-3.2 because I’m passing and driving spiritedly. On a road trip, with judicious use of ACC, I’ve seen 3.5-3.9.

My wife has hit in the 4s before, but she’s less of a speed demon than me.
Yeah. The reason I am considering the Lucid is the range plus performance. I am not willing to give up either. If I want to maximize range, I won't buy a car with this much HP. So between only charging to 80% (most of the time) and driving spiritedly (I am assuming another 25% off...do you think that is about right Borski?) I need to start with a healthy range.

Yeah. The reason I am considering the Lucid is the range plus performance. I am not willing to give up either. If I want to maximize range, I won't buy a car with this much HP. So between only charging to 80% (most of the time) and driving spiritedly (I am assuming another 25% off...do you think that is about right Borski?) I need to start with a healthy range.
Yeah maybe 20% if you’re driving in Swift and *should* have your radar detector on :p

FYI.. real time weather is a premium feature - $50 per year.

Or US$5.99 per month. I drove from San Diego CA to Dallas TX back in February of this year, in our Tesla Model X100D. Then I drove back in the opposite direction a month later, after which I cancelled my one-month subscription. I found that ABRP in both directions was pretty accurate. What would throw it off was my habit of setting my cruise control at 80 mph or 85 mph. But all I had to do to fix that was set a higher default speed. Overall, it’s a very useful app for planning road trips.

Back