How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
After watching the InsideEVs range tests on the i4 M50 and Ford F150 Lightning (the lightning did 250 miles, the i4 did 239), I’m realizing how spoiled we are. Yeah the i4 has an 83kw battery pack but that’s some lousy efficiency compared to what we’re used to.

Reactions: DJL
After watching the InsideEVs range tests on the i4 M50 and Ford F150 Lightning (the lightning did 250 miles, the i4 did 239), I’m realizing how spoiled we are. Yeah the i4 has an 83kw battery pack but that’s some lousy efficiency compared to what we’re used to.

Actually, the official range on the I4 M50 as tested is 227 so the BMW did very well at efficiency. It just started with a smaller battery pack.

Also, BMW says it reserves a portion of the battery pack (usually around 10%). I have been unable to determine if that means one doesn't have to only charge to 80% or if everyone does that and we should still be charging to 80%.

If the range of the I4 M50 were only at least 300 miles, I would be tempted to have it as my backup plan for the Lucid if I could only put paper bags over the front end. It is a really good car otherwise at a reasonable price.

Actually, the official range on the I4 M50 as tested is 227 so the BMW did very well at efficiency. It just started with a smaller battery pack.

Also, BMW says it reserves a portion of the battery pack (usually around 10%). I have been unable to determine if that means one doesn't have to only charge to 80% or if everyone does that and we should still be charging to 80%.

If the range of the I4 M50 were only at least 300 miles, I would be tempted to have it as my backup plan for the Lucid if I could only put paper bags over the front end. It is a really good car otherwise at a reasonable price.
Unless my math is wrong or BMW’s pack is smaller than 83kW, I think @bunnylebowski is correct. Lucid went 500 miles on what a 114kW pack? So BMW’s pack is 72% of Lucid’s pack. Lucid went 500 miles so 72% of that is 365 miles which is what I would think the BMW would go with same efficiency. I haven’t watched the inside EV video so don’t know if other factors contributed to the seemingly low range. BMW used the more stringent EPA test which most companies are beating. Mercedes did way better than EPA.

I thought Tom did the math and said it was 2.9 mi/kWh. Not that efficient by Lucid or Tesla standards.

I thought Tom did the math and said it was 2.9 mi/kWh. Not that efficient by Lucid or Tesla standards.
"
The vehicle we had was fitted with the largest, most aggressive wheels & tires that BMW offers, and thus, has the lowest EPA range rating of any i4. With the 20" wheel option, the i4 M50 has a combined EPA range rating of 227 miles per charge.

Unfortunately, the EPA stopped listing the highway and city range ratings, so we only have the combined rating to compare with our results. We suspect the highway rating would have been 5-8% less than the combined rating, placing it around 210-215 miles.

We ended the range test with the i4 in turtle mode and the pedal response was sluggish so we believe we were very close to fully draining the usable capacity. We were able to drive 239 miles; 237 at 70 mph, and the final 2 miles at lower speeds after exiting the highway to navigate to the Electrify America charging station

Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket Car Bra---remember those?

The problem is they are all designed to let the air get to the grille openings. So they won't hide the Edsel grilles. Truly a shame...BMW makes a great car but currently has an awful designer.

I find that elevation changes do make a difference. My house is 1400 feet above sea level and the Lucid design studio is at 1300 feet above sea level and is about 11 miles away from me. Driving my BMW PHEV down slow city streets (mostly 35 mph speed limits) to the mall in pure electric mode I get about 20% better mileage than driving back.
I’m no physics major but how would elevation play a role in EV range since it does intake car to move it? ICE cars, sure.

The BMW i4M50 I ordered for my wife has an official 270 miles of range. That's because I ordered it with the 19 inch all season tires. The larger tires decrease the range. My wife will be fine with the 19" ones and the longer range

I’m no physics major but how would elevation play a role in EV range since it does intake car to move it? ICE cars, sure.
It's not the elevation but the energy cost of driving uphill, lifting the car up against gravity. This is changing energy stored in the battery to potential energy stored in the car. You get a lot of that potential energy back when descending the hill, but not 100%.

Unless the car resides in some outlandish environments, I’d expect a ~25% real world loss for a normal reasonable driver.

The battery on your iPhone is always trying to learn your patterns so it can optimize use but it can’t predict when you’ll want to spend 3 hours streaming Netflix at 4k.

However, it can limit its battery deterioration based on your sleep patterns, which IMO provides the best data point. EVs can do the same. That logic is not hard to program.

That is an over 100% difference between readings. On the same route with the same driver? Is one in miles and one in kilometers lol

Walking up a hill takes more energy than walking down a hill.
Got it. I misunderstood OP that living in elevation naturally reduces battery efficiency. I was pretty sure batteries didn’t need oxygen 😂

Just did a 40 mile drive this morning, 70 degrees out, I kept to the speed limits on the freeway, ended up at exactly 4.0mi/kwh. Unplugged right when I left. Also, DEP 21" no aero covers

Just did a 40 mile drive this morning, 70 degrees out, I kept to the speed limits on the freeway, ended up at exactly 4.0mi/kwh. Unplugged right when I left. Also, DEP 21" no aero covers
Perfect conditions. In Arizona if I drove the speed limit I would probably be rear ended on purpose.

Perfect conditions. In Arizona if I drove the speed limit I would probably be rear ended on purpose.
Haha, it's easy when you just follow 18 wheelers in LA

The conservative estimate for a DEP with 21" tires is 3 miles for every 1% charge remaining. That is with no care in the world about speed, heat, cooling, etc.
3 miles per 1% SOC use is what I use for South Florida as well. Temperature set to 68 (I turn off the rear to keep the fan noise down) and drive 45 MPH around town and 80+ on the express.

Just some information. I charged at an Electrify America to 405 Miles of range. I drove 5 miles home parked the car over night and woke up to
364 miles of range loosing over 30 miles in 12 house just having the car sit.
Cooling the batteries is a huge cost in range :(

Just some information. I charged at an Electrify America to 405 Miles of range. I drove 5 miles home parked the car over night and woke up to
364 miles of range loosing over 30 miles in 12 house just having the car sit.
Cooling the batteries is a huge cost in range :(
Yep, I’ve logged every time in another thread about range loss after DCFC. Sadly, there is still a good amount of range loss in the identical scenario using Level 2 charging.
Hoping this gets fixed over OTA.

Yep, I’ve logged every time in another thread about range loss after DCFC. Sadly, there is still a good amount of range loss in the identical scenario using Level 2 charging.
Hoping this gets fixed over OTA.
Last few times I've charged at home, my fans haven't been running after I unplug.

Back