How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’ve got about 1400 miles on the car, mix of highway and city (no trips yet), and my average for that entire time is 4.1 mi/kWh. I haven’t done extended freeway driving except for the ride home from picking the car up, but my commute each day, 5 days a week, is 40 miles round trip. I have tried to max out range on certain days and have achieved 4.6 mi/kWh (I posted a photo in another thread) and now I just drive normally and achieve 4.1-4.3 depending on weather conditions. Someone was told that the display isn’t displaying the proper mi/kWh at this stage in some or all cars - not sure, but my GT on 19” rims has no problem exceeding 4 mi/kWh and the only time it dips is right after a DCFC session and then I spend the entire charge cycle regaining mi/kWh until I finish above 4 and repeat.

So … while I remain skeptical, this week was interesting for me.

I have done the school runs 7 times this week - which if you remember is down & up 1500’ - over approx 18-20miles round trip.
I am now at 3600miles
and previous to this week, I would happily see 6.4 down the hill (haha) and maybe 2.9-3.1 buy the time I got home. Just driving as I fancy - no special anything - doubt I went over 40mph (the hill is quite full of curves)

so Tuesday onwards this week, I’ve been averaging 3.6 by the time I get home.

I haven’t charged - which also means that the average 3.1 from Monday has now come UP to 3.6 (down/up 7 times) has resulted in a 3.6 when home after the 7th trip.

SOOOOO … I never really believe the “wearing in” period. But my miles per kwh (without any update) has definitely changed… and in a very pleasant way

Mike's math. There is a part to the equation that seems to be constantly overlooked. Battery Temperature (BT). It takes a lot of energy to raise and/or cool the battery, especially Lucid's larger pack. SOOOO ... Driving 20 miles on a fully warmed up battery you should expect to consume 20/4 m/kWh about 5kW. Driving the same distance on a cold battery the car may use 7 plus kWh (5kWh for the motors and 2kWh for the battery. The 7kWh will translate into a 3m or less per kWh (20/7). My Son's Mach-e displays the energy allocation to the pack, A/C etc. Lucid would be smart to do the same ASAP.

Attachments

• 2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-charging-screens-6-640x853.jpg
    2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-charging-screens-6-640x853.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 117
My Son's Mach-e displays the energy allocation to the pack, A/C etc.

That's a very informative display. I assume "Ext. Temp." refers to energy used to heat or cool the battery pack?

Just curious . . . do you know what the conditions (weather, speed, etc.) were when your son's car recorded these figures?

Last edited:
Mike's math. There is a part to the equation that seems to be constantly overlooked. Battery Temperature (BT). It takes a lot of energy to raise and/or cool the battery, especially Lucid's larger pack. SOOOO ... Driving 20 miles on a fully warmed up battery you should expect to consume 20/4 m/kWh about 5kW. Driving the same distance on a cold battery the car may use 7 plus kWh (5kWh for the motors and 2kWh for the battery. The 7kWh will translate into a 3m or less per kWh (20/7). My Son's Mach-e displays the energy allocation to the pack, A/C etc. Lucid would be smart to do the same ASAP.
That energy monitor is very cool. Or should I say dope?

That's a very informative display. I assume "Ext. Temp." refers to energy used to heat or cool the battery pack?

Just curious . . . do you know what the conditions (weather, speed, etc.) were when your son's car recorded these figures?
No but will ask him to get us some real time data. I am curious as well now.

So I did a little test, it might help those who are not getting expected mi/kWh troubleshoot. I wanted to see what highway-only efficiency was for smooth and swift modes on my 19” GT, so I drove my dad/stepmom to Boston airport from Providence and reset the trip computer once I was at highway speed in smooth mode, then did the same thing on the way back in Swift mode with speed range about 65-75 with very little traffic, 72F outside, climate set to 70 fan 4 (the 1.2.6 update really does make the climate system work better!) , no ACC but did encounter more uphill on the way back then on the way to the airport.

Here are the results:
For smooth mode on the way there (my dad is large and my step mom is medium, plus two suitcases), starting at highway speeds I got 4.5 mi/kWh, then on the way back in Swift which had a bit more uphill parts and I probably went just a little faster and was blasting the stereo (thanks 1.2.6 update for Tidal quality improvement!), without the extra weight in the car, I got 3.8 mi/kWh. I think the point is that on-ramps and getting to the highway and getting up to highway speeds consume a LOT more kW than just driving at a relatively steady speed, which is obvious. I’d be curious what drivers who are getting less than 3.4 mi/kWh would get if they reset the trip calculator once they were at highway speeds.

Attachments

• 93807E3C-8063-4BF6-92D7-402EB6F9C4F7.jpeg
    93807E3C-8063-4BF6-92D7-402EB6F9C4F7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 14A8200E-50A1-4C95-BB22-954F26901BD5.jpeg
    14A8200E-50A1-4C95-BB22-954F26901BD5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87
The other thing I noticed on this test is that for every 100 miles of driving you can expect to lose about 25-30 miles of projected range given you’re not driving to EPA test standards. So if you’re planning a trip and going from mostly full to 20% SOC you’re actually gonna need to stop about 80 miles sooner than estimated if you don’t want to drop below 20% before your next charge. I drove 102 miles total, starting with 397 miles projected range, and ended with 271 miles projected range, so lost about 24 miles projected range per 100 miles of driving.

• Hmm
Reactions: DJL
The other thing I noticed on this test is that for every 100 miles of driving you can expect to lose about 25-30 miles of projected range given you’re not driving to EPA test standards. So if you’re planning a trip and going from mostly full to 20% SOC you’re actually gonna need to stop about 80 miles sooner than estimated if you don’t want to drop below 20% before your next charge. I drove 102 miles total, starting with 397 miles projected range, and ended with 271 miles projected range, so lost about 24 miles projected range per 100 miles of driving.
Interesting observation. I wonder how ‘projected range’ compares to real range. Did you note state of charge at 397 miles versus 271 miles after your 102 mile journey? Wonder if ‘percentage per mile’ calculation would yield any interesting result 🤔

Interesting observation. I wonder how ‘projected range’ compares to real range. Did you note state of charge at 397 miles versus 271 miles after your 102 mile journey? Wonder if ‘percentage per mile’ calculation would yield any interesting result 🤔
Yeah SOC was 79% when I left, 56% on arrival, I drove 102 miles with 397 miles starting, ended up with 271 miles projected instead of 295 expected, so back of the napkin math yields about 8% SOC loss per 100 miles so 0.08% loss per mile?

Yeah SOC was 79% when I left, 56% on arrival, I drove 102 miles with 397 miles starting, ended up with 271 miles projected instead of 295 expected, so back of the napkin math yields about 8% SOC loss per 100 miles so 0.08% loss per mile?
The conservative estimate for a DEP with 21" tires is 3 miles for every 1% charge remaining. That is with no care in the world about speed, heat, cooling, etc.

The conservative estimate for a DEP with 21" tires is 3 miles for every 1% charge remaining. That is with no care in the world about speed, heat, cooling, etc.
Yeah I’m estimating GT 19” then is about 3.8 miles per 1% charge remaining with normal driving. I’m glad I went for the GT19 and not the touring as I bet in the winter in New England the car won’t go much further than 300 miles on a charge.

The best I got is 3.1~3.2 miles/kWh on AGT 21” with Swift mode in 70 miles highway drive in early morning 80F Texas weather with AC off and normal degenerative brake. I have not yet tried high degenerative setting yet.

With 6599 miles, I have consistently gotten 3.5 miles per 1% charge. DEP 21. Pretty consistent up to 85 mph. This has been in moderate to hot temperatures. The last 1000 miles or so has been at outside temps over 90.

I hope Lucid provides more data options soon. Real time use that can be instantaneous or over last 5/25/50 miles vs “since last charge”.

I hope Lucid provides more data options soon. Real time use that can be instantaneous or over last 5/25/50 miles vs “since last charge”.
+1

since I drive hills a lot, the average since last charge is rather meaningless. I start almost every journey at 6.4 and come down… slowly

Back