How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Last few times I've charged at home, my fans haven't been running after I unplug.
That’s encouraging! I’ve noticed the louder fan noises disappear after unplugging, but there’s a very faint fan that continues to run for a very long time after either DCFC or my home charger, honestly could be the coolant pump 🤷‍♂️

I'm taking it in to have it looked at last weekend I used another car and had the Lucid plugged in to a 15 amp circuit that I normally get 3 MPH range added to the batteries and over the weekend I got less the 1 MPH of range added because the cooling of the batteries used up most of the energy

Just some information. I charged at an Electrify America to 405 Miles of range. I drove 5 miles home parked the car over night and woke up to
364 miles of range loosing over 30 miles in 12 house just having the car sit.
Cooling the batteries is a huge cost in range :(
There is definitely a big difference in the Lucid in charging and then letting it sit versus charging and then driving it right away. Several of us have noted that. I have started plugging it in first thing in the morning before I leave instead.

Forgot to mention one thing my service guy told me about range: the new motors on the Lucid are tight and have enough internal resistance that you will not get optimum range until you’ve put about 2,500 miles on the car as then the motor loses some of that internal resistance, this is the break-in increase in mi/kWh many owners report around that mileage. They had also told me on a separate occasion that if you DC fast charge then park the car shortly afterwards, you’re gonna lose more range quickly, so if you’re doing a road trip don’t DC fast charge to give you enough range for the next day if you’re gonna park the car overnight, instead just get up earlier in the AM and charge and then hit the road, you’ll save 30-40 miles of losses.

I seem to average 2.3-2.7M/ KWh with a mix of driving modes and AC usage. The best I’ve done is 3.3M/KWh I have 2200 miles on the car running the 21 inch rims. I was expecting a bit better to be sure. Hopefully the break in period helps

There is definitely a big difference in the Lucid in charging and then letting it sit versus charging and then driving it right away. Several of us have noted that. I have started plugging it in first thing in the morning before I leave instead.
My last time DCFC I stopped it short (had spent an hour trying to get it to work already and wanted to go home) and my 5.5 miles trip, took 13 miles of range. Fans were running full speed as I could feel them through the accelerator pedal. Ambient temp was definitely up there, 80s-90s, but that was the first time it’s used that much range to get home. Ended up losing a total of about 35 miles between that and the 2-4 hour period after charging. Dropped me to 0.8 mi/kwh to start the next day, and I’m back up to 3.7 for the 160 miles I’ve driven thus far
Again, hopefully it gets worked out eventually! Still only at ~1700 miles.

I seem to average 2.3-2.7M/ KWh with a mix of driving modes and AC usage. The best I’ve done is 3.3M/KWh I have 2200 miles on the car running the 21 inch rims. I was expecting a bit better to be sure. Hopefully the break in period helps
500+ miles in (hit the fabled 520 mark today 😜) and the best I've done between charges is 2.9 mi/kWh (GT on 21s). I charged from 35 to 80% yesterday at EA and then drove 25 miles to work, getting 2.8 mi/kWh. When I got back in my car a few hours later, it was down to 1.8, so the fans clearly kept running for a few hours. I typically drive 75-80 on the highway and haven't had to use too much AC since I picked up my car last week. Hoping the numbers get closer to 3.3 overall, but I guess we'll see over the next 2000 miles. Or maybe I need to slow down like I'm driving Ms Daisy...

500+ miles in (hit the fabled 520 mark today 😜) and the best I've done between charges is 2.9 mi/kWh (GT on 21s). I charged from 35 to 80% yesterday at EA and then drove 25 miles to work, getting 2.8 mi/kWh. When I got back in my car a few hours later, it was down to 1.8, so the fans clearly kept running for a few hours. I typically drive 75-80 on the highway and haven't had to use too much AC since I picked up my car last week. Hoping the numbers get closer to 3.3 overall, but I guess we'll see over the next 2000 miles. Or maybe I need to slow down like I'm driving Ms Daisy...
Pretty discouraging for an on-the-fence reservation holder like me. "Range" now seems an amorphous concept (even tho we have a govt agency that spends billions, in part trying to quantify it--yet can't get within+/- 25%). The results among the owners here just don't make sense (losing 40 miles in your garage bec the batteries need cooling?) Come on guys. I won't say Lucid isn't ready for primetime (which it isn't), but rather the whole segment seems to need 5+ years before before reliability, battery range, battery weight, dependable software, frequency and speed of charging stations, etc. allow EVs to be mainstream. (Until then it's a 3/4% fringe of the US car/light truck market)

I'm an "enthusiast" (and BTW, if LCID only appeals to us enthusiasts, they have no future). I love the design but I've only been allowed to see the car in a sales center, and have never been offered a test drive. My delivery of a Touring now looks like a year away. I hold three other EV reservations and will continue to sit back and weigh options ...and maybe buy none..

But as the "real world" feedback continues to filter in (and many thanks to the honest owners here) I become less, not more, convinced. Let's face it: this car is a high-priced curiosity--an indulgence. If LCID continues to disappoint the curious and the indulgent, there is no one else left to sell cars to.

Pretty discouraging for an on-the-fence reservation holder like me. "Range" now seems an amorphous concept (even tho we have a govt agency that spends billions, in part trying to quantify it--yet can't get within+/- 25%). The results among the owners here just don't make sense (losing 40 miles in your garage bec the batteries need cooling?) Come on guys. I won't say Lucid isn't ready for primetime (which it isn't), but rather the whole segment seems to need 5+ years before before reliability, battery range, battery weight, dependable software, frequency and speed of charging stations, etc. allow EVs to be mainstream. (Until then it's a 3/4% fringe of the US car/light truck market)

I'm an "enthusiast" (and BTW, if LCID only appeals to us enthusiasts, they have no future). I love the design but I've only been allowed to see the car in a sales center, and have never been offered a test drive. My delivery of a Touring now looks like a year away. I hold three other EV reservations and will continue to sit back and weigh options ...and maybe buy none..

But as the "real world" feedback continues to filter in (and many thanks to the honest owners here) I become less, not more, convinced. Let's face it: this car is a high-priced curiosity--an indulgence. If LCID continues to disappoint the curious and the indulgent, there is no one else left to sell cars to.
The problem with range is that there is so much that goes into it, that it is one of those things that is very personal to you. Like many others have stated here, there is almost a necessity to take all EPA numbers and just multiply it by 0.7 in order to get closer to "real world" average. Except, the PNW is much different from the SW which is even more different than the NE.

I also agree that Lucids are for enthusiasts, but to your point, all EVs right now are for enthusiasts. The US is definitely not ready for EVs to be mainstream, but as it becomes closer to the norm, then "the rising tides raises all ships" comes to mind for thr success of EV companies/divisions.

I’ve stated many times, I’ve gotten EPA numbers multiple times when driving. The car doesn’t like charging and then being parked. That can be attributed to an overly cautious BMS that can be tuned down vis OTA as more data is collected. I’d rather an overly cautious BMS than a Bolt situation..

I have 8500 miles on my car now. I have 21 " tires for the last 1000 miles I have averaged 3.5M/KWh My best is 4.4 for a 32 mile trip. 4.2 for 75 mile trip at freeway speeds.

I have 8500 miles on my car now. I have 21 " tires for the last 1000 miles I have averaged 3.5M/KWh My best is 4.4 for a 32 mile trip. 4.2 for 75 mile trip at freeway speeds.
Did you tape a raw egg to the accelerator? I can only dream of those numbers!

The car has definitely increase its efficiency with more miles.
I can relate that to my Jeep Wranger. When I first got I new, it only ran 13.6 miles/gallon, I was very disappointed how can this smaller body can gets same mileage as my F-250.

But after I passed 10k miles, it gradually improved. It is roughly doing 16.8 miles/gallon now. I can imagine the same, Lucid Air needs some driving to break it loose.

I find it interesting how a small group of EV bloggers have established 70MPH with A/C running, as the people's official EV range test. It's interesting to watch, but confuses potential buyers. Even more interesting is how many on this forum (including your's truly) have tried to duplicate the EPA numbers.
I am glad I placed my order a few years back, before blogger feedback, that may have caused me to not purchase the car and miss out on a really great fun car to drive. Do I care where my car sits on the m/kWh bragging pole.? Not really. I rather drive the car the way it was meant to be driven, and spend 10 extra minutes at a charging station, than trying to change a decimal point on the m/kWh scale and no fun.

I find it interesting how a small group of EV bloggers have established 70MPH with A/C running, as the people's official EV range test. It's interesting to watch, but confuses potential buyers. Even more interesting is how many on this forum (including your's truly) have tried to duplicate the EPA numbers.
I am glad I placed my order a few years back, before blogger feedback, that may have caused me to not purchase the car and miss out on a really great fun car to drive. Do I care where my car sits on the m/kWh bragging pole.? Not really. I rather drive the car the way it was meant to be driven, and spend 10 extra minutes at a charging station, than trying to change a decimal point on the m/kWh scale and no fun.
I agree. How many people look at their mpg figures on their ICE cars every time they fill up? I will be using my air predominantly for trips under 300 miles so for me this is a no-brainer.

for me ... there was a noticeable change at 3600 !!

As many have stated in here, so many things can effect range. The environment alone can have an impact (hills, wind, temp, etc.) along with how you're driving and what you have your A/C set to etc. If you're in Sprint Mode with the A/C set to 68 and flooring it every time the light goes green then yes, good luck getting anywhere near the EPA.

The Lucid isn't going to be a good performer around town. It's a HEAVY car and takes a lot of energy to move so if you're in stop start traffic or in town with many traffic lights you will see low numbers. Driving it around town shouldn't be your worry though as chargers are plentiful and can charge at home easily enough. It's the freeways typically where these weighty EV's shine. Once they get momentum going they can sustain good ranges at high speed. Inside EV's has shown the car can do 500 miles at 70mph on a freeway and another outlet got 505 miles I believe. I'm sure if they both did city driving tests the numbers would be lower but again, chargers are plentiful so city driving shouldn't really bother people.

They talked about it one time and it was because it was a test they could perform everywhere on public highways without risk of getting a ticket.

The car has definitely increase its efficiency with more miles.
This needs to be stated over and over again to everyone who reads one report of a ‘suboptimal’ range from someone under unknown driving conditions and concludes that the range on this car is a scam. On my GT 21inch, the first 1700 miles of driving had me around 3 mi/kWh which is about 75% EPA. Since then I’ve been doing closer to 3.5 mi/kWh with zero change in driving habits. That’s closer to 85% EPA. I’m sure I could hypermile and hit 90+% EPA. For anyone who will only be satisfied with 100+% EPA under all conditions, then I agree this car isn’t for you.

Back