How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am not trying to meet/beat EPA. I am trying to get even close to Inside EV and Edmunds. That should be possible right?
Do you live near Colorado or New Jersey? Reach out to Kyle Connor or Tom Moloughney and loan them your car for a day and do one of their tests. If your car is incapable of coming remotely close to 500 miles the test should show it and I think that would definitely motivate Lucid to figure out what’s going on with your car. Tom just did 397 miles in EQS 450, so I’d expect your car to do at least that or better without doing ACC at 70mph, climate set to 68 with fan at 1.

Last edited:
Only if you drive in their test conditions. I understand your frustration about the range, and you should email customer service about it, but trying to achieve their results outside of their testing is an exercise in futility. Everything affects range and it all adds up.
(I am definitely trying to work thru with Lucid)

You make it sound like these guys are testing in some sort of vacuum sealed test track. The InsideEV guy usually tests on the NJ Turnpike. Maybe I am really missing something, but I do not see what is so unique or un-reproduceable about their tests. They even state, "InsideEVs tests EVs to find out how far they'll go in the real world at a steady 70 mph."

Also, has the "break in" idea been verified anywhere? All I recall is a few members saying they thought their mi/kW seemed to suddenly jump and another member saying that a tech told them there is no such thing.

You make it sound like these guys are testing in some sort of vacuum sealed test track. The InsideEV guy usually tests on the NJ Turnpike. Maybe I am really missing something, but I do not see what is so unique or un-reproduceable about their tests. They even state, "InsideEVs tests EVs to find out how far they'll go in the real world at a steady 70 mph."

Also, has the "break in" idea been verified anywhere? All I recall is a few members saying they thought their mi/kW seemed to suddenly jump and another member saying that a tech told them there is no such thing.
It started because someone reported their DA telling them about it.

Not in a vacuum, but even the road surface makes a difference. The friction from a road varies by almost 50%!!

Screenshot_20220501-221432_Chrome.jpg

One other thing that optimizes conditions for them is they pre-condition the battery and fast charge to 100% immediately before the test, so since the battery is appropriately warmed up that may help increase mi/kWh too.

I spoke to a service technician today about this possible break in period. He commented that there isn't a break in period at all - it just takes the car some time to learn driving habits. And that there is no magically update. He did not have an answer as to why m/kwh seem to improve over time. He did say that the car testers are instructed to ride the car hard before delivery. I had 30 miles on the car when I picked it up and he said half of those were probably at a very low m/kwh.
Morning,

I was testing the range this weekend and noticed that I was able to get 3.6 kw when I paid attention to the power charge gauge…in trying to smoothly accelerate by keeping the needle close to center point I was able to get this range…I have a DA with 21’s so this is about 95% of the stated range…I am currently at 1200 miles…it was also in the 60’s which isn’t optimal…the hardest aspect of getting good range or being close to the stated range is the performance of the vehicle…it takes incredible self control to not pass other cars or get a fast start from a light….if I drive with no regard to speed limit, passing at will and gunning it off the line…I have been to closer to 3kw…I am curious on how the range will improve when we get the the 70’s and above

They should add "range" mode that will cap speed limit to 80mph (or something we can set) and also have a slower more controlled acceleration. Would also make the car safer especially for folks who may accidently go too fast like inexperienced or very old drivers.

Yeah, every time I’ve gotten good mileage it’s because I’ve actively paid attention to trying to do so. Most of the time, I end up at 2.5-3.2 because I’m passing and driving spiritedly. On a road trip, with judicious use of ACC, I’ve seen 3.5-3.9.

My wife has hit in the 4s before, but she’s less of a speed demon than me.

Don't shoot me if this is wrong, but I seem to remember it from someplace. Is it true that Tesla gives a number that only includes the power used to actually drive the car and not all of the other subsystems whereas Lucid gives a total number? It might account for some of the difference if true. I could also be dead wrong on that as I have never owned an EV before and I have no real first hand knowledge about Tesla. It would be great if someone that actually knows these details can confirm or debunk this.
Not sure that makes sense. From what I gather the Tesla trip computer, like all EVs I can think of, shows kWh consumption and mileage. Miles per KWh is straight arithmetic from that point.

If the car is only calculating and displaying kWh consumed by the actual drive motors and nothing from the heat pump, AC, lights, CPU, power steering, battery temperature maintenance etc. then the “consumption” would indicate that the battery must be significantly larger than it is (as it has to supply power for the indicated motor use but also all the non-indicated ancillary loads which are very real things). I.e a Tesla that consumes a displayed 80kwh used for a trip from 100% to 0% would really have a 90-100+ kWh usable battery capacity (note- usable does not include additional top and bottom buffer that is locked out by software to improve battery lifespan, which could be another 5kwh). Also the displayed kWh to go from 100%-0% capacity would vary wildly by season (take a daytime trip in 70 degree weather using no AC, versus a nighttime trip in 20 degrees with heat cranking away). This would imply to the owner that the battery pack changes capacity from summer to winter and back again and create substantial confusion.

Do you live near Colorado or New Jersey? Reach out to Kyle Connor or Tom Moloughney and loan them your car for a day and do one of their tests. If your car is incapable of coming remotely close to 500 miles the test should show it and I think that would definitely motivate Lucid to figure out what’s going on with your car. Tom just did 397 miles in EQS 450, so I’d expect your car to do at least that or better without doing ACC at 70mph, climate set to 68 with fan at 1.
That would be great- would get a real benchmark from a customer car (versus a “press car”). I’m sure they would love the opportunity to try a Lucid

That would be great- would get a real benchmark from a customer car (versus a “press car”). I’m sure they would love the opportunity to try a Lucid
Unfortunately, I do not live near either of them :(

I took delivery one week ago. Air GT with 19" Aero Range wheels. Early observation is that full charge with a 50 amp service has fallen short of 516 miles advertised. Best so far is 496 miles. One 320 mile road trip using normal air conditioner, no passenger, light load, and 75 - 80 mph cruise completed with 35 miles remaining charge (started with 496). I have less than 1000 miles on the car so I suspect there will be improvement as the system accommodates to driving style and I try harder to maximize range. Biggest worry now is max charge at 496 miles vs. 516. We;ll see.

Unfortunately, I do not live near either of them :(
I’ll let Tom test my car, I’d emailed him and Kyle when I placed the order and they were both interested, gotta get PPF/ceramic first and I got one road trip planned 3rd weekend of May but I think after that we could work something out. I just got 3.7 mi/kWh on an 80 mile jaunt I went on. Set ACC to 70 for the first half of the loop, did my own driving around 70ish on the way back. Lots of hills though and traffic. All I can say is it’s hard to go that slow in this car.

I took delivery one week ago. Air GT with 19" Aero Range wheels. Early observation is that full charge with a 50 amp service has fallen short of 516 miles advertised. Best so far is 496 miles. One 320 mile road trip using normal air conditioner, no passenger, light load, and 75 - 80 mph cruise completed with 35 miles remaining charge (started with 496). I have less than 1000 miles on the car so I suspect there will be improvement as the system accommodates to driving style and I try harder to maximize range. Biggest worry now is max charge at 496 miles vs. 516. We;ll see.
Based on other discussions here is seems like the displayed range estimate is broadly based on the EPA rating but also somehow takes into account the individual car’s historical efficiency. If that’s the case I don’t think there is much to be gleaned from the 496 number (I.e. not an indication your battery is degraded/degrading)

I charged mine to 100% the other day and it only went up to 502.

Based on what I am getting, I would be very nervous of doing 300 miles even with the GT's longer 469 mile epa. My requirement was almost identical to yours, and I thought it would be a no brainer for the Lucid. Maybe I should have known this or researched more ahead of time. I was going completely off the You Tube videos of people getting over 500 miles. I love the car, but this has been a real bummer.

While I am waiting for my GT, I assume realistic range of 70-80% of EPA, Most of my friends have Tesla, at least one has model S early on, we actually drove @ 310 mile to Miami on my friend's Tesla which is dated and has 270 Mile EPA range but we always fell short, BTW ICE Vehicles also fall short of their EPA mileage but no one cares because they just pull over and fill up,

BTW GT with 19 inch tires is rated 516 miles, still always plan trip with charging stops

Last edited:
Yes, but if I drive in the same ideal conditions (temp, elevation, speed) I should get at least close right? I just did 50 miles, 65 degrees, 70 mph ACC, wind <5 mph, perfectly flat... 3.0 mi/kW. That's not close.
Same here I have 21" rims and should be getting 4.2 miles/kWh to reach the range of 469 on a 112 kwh battery 3.0 mi/kW is 30 % less.
that is not even close..

Ok, well the AMG EQS is having radar detector, window tint, XPEL film and ceramic coating installed so I have very little time behind the wheel.

First impressions:
  1. I like the looks of the Lucid interior better but the EQS is more functional for the non-minimalist. It has hard buttons for door locks, steering wheel adjustment etc.
  2. I like the start button. I know many will disagree but the major systems stay off until it's pressed.
  3. Minor issue that Lucid can fix, if on the phone and you open the door, the bluetooth link terminates in the EQS and doesn't turn on until you press the start button, I think.
  4. I LOVE the HUD in the EQS. Lots of useful data including turns from the NAV system.
  5. All of the screens start up very fast and all software works and is responsive in the EGS.
  6. The EQS has working Wi-Fi Android Auto and Car Play.
  7. The EQS has SirrusXM radio.
  8. The "Hey Mercedes" voice response system works very well and can control a lot of the car systems like Lucid is trying to do with Alexa.
  9. The EQS does not have a frunk but has a large hatchback with fold down rear seats.
  10. A little thing, but the EQS charge port is where the gas cap normally is and you just push to open. No touch point and waiting for the motor to open the door.
  11. The cabin lights in the EQS are integrated into blind-spot and other warning systems to turn red when appropriate.
  12. The steering wheel buttons on the EQS feel much more crisp and solid.
  13. The EQS uses the paddle shifter to control the regen braking and it comes in handy in traffic.
  14. I do not like the brake pedal feel of the EQS with the regen turned off. I like being able to turn regen completely off.
  15. The EQS is more quiet, both road noise and engine.
  16. The EQS does not come with a 220V charge cable.
  17. The EQS has a better NAV system and better maps but still not as good as Android Auto and Google maps.
  18. The EQS is very fast but the DE just keeps pulling and pulling until you stop!!
That's all I have for now. It will be a week or so before I get the EQS back and have time to drive it more.

I also test drove EQS [3 times] and definitely its car made by company with long history and physical vehicle is mature and luxurious, EV portion remains to be seen, range of 350 I found somewhat lacking, especially because it has to depend on independent charging stations, at the end dealer markup and just attitude of dealers was deal breaker, one of them told right as we entered that we have $ x markup on EQS, only if acceptable then they will talk or else!!

Tesla Model S is 400 but supercharge network is robust, but it's common and quality issues and other Tesla quirks made me look elsewhere [don't misunderstand, I have Tesla Model X on order for family and intend to have it] I intend to drive to Miami frequently, 300+ miles, lucid range even if i get @75-80% EPA will be fine

Last edited:
Then the only conclusion I can draw is there is something wrong with my car. If they used my car in their exact test, I do not believe it would perform the same. I will bow out of this thread, it isn't helping me figure out what may be wrong and likely getting in the way of other conversations.
I agree I would BET everything I own at this time it is not possible with my car to get with in 100 miles of the EPA range .
I picked my car up in Scottsdale AZ and drove some of the same routes as insideEVs. My best is 3.2 with the exception of charging in Frisco CO and driving for 60 miles down hill to Denver.

Firstly, I hope no one takes my statement as dismissive as that was not the intent. With that said yes one would expect you to be closer. But you also have to keep in mind that they are charging to 100% and driving until they drain the battery. That will most definitely help with their efficiency. Most owners charge to 80% and then drive a specific path. I would be curious if someone performed a similar test under similar conditions how close they would get to that efficiency. From what I've seen for average driving most users are getting between 3.0-3.5 mi/kW hours.

I think you have a point, we need cold start test 80-20% range and see how it goes

Back