How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The other automakers don't use the 5-cycle test because it's more expensive. And they don't really care about their EV business. Which is why so many of them are reducing investment in EVs at exactly the time where adoption is poised to take off. Massive shortsightedness.

That their range estimates are better for setting expectations is a side effect. And a major killer of their sales this past year.
This isn’t entirely accurate. I can vouch that Ford’s EV investment has been reduced because of the UAW strike in its entirety.

Some automakers purposely dont use the 5-cycle test for other reasons as well.

It’s not like those numbers hold any value tbh…

Real world results is why I am following this thread.

340/112 = 3 mi/kWh. Does that correlate with the efficiency you see when driving that fast?
Do you have the 19 inch wheels?
BTW - there is no way the Gravity will get 3 mi/kWh at 80 mph if the Air gets that, right?
Yeah, I have 19" wheels, and yeah I'm between 80-90 on the highway usually so I get around 3.0-3.2 so that seems accurate

Because it is even more misleading. I don't know the other EPA test options, but many of the other non-Tesla competitors don't use the 5-cycle test, because they know a good percentage of their buyers will be upset when they find out the real world range. I know, it has worked for Tesla. Personally I prefer a range estimate that is closer to reality.
Tom did a real world driving test, and Edmunds where they both received 500+ miles of range in their dream editions, so it was definitely tested and confirmed.
The only point you're contesting is "what is average highway speed"
Because you drive 80mph minimum, your mileage will definitely vary.
But it's nice to have the option of getting 500 when needed.
The Lucid will go much further than any other EV if driven the same way.

As someone here who did the DC to Chicago... And kept going to Utah, I've done that exact trip.
But I don't quite understand the point you're making, you're saying the charging adds on an additional 3 hours to the length of the road trip to reach the destination?
Yes. That's during the winter. I'm comparing my experience of the drive vs a gas car. Typically with gas, we just grab a bite to eat and then start driving right away. The reduced range in winter hurts, so instead of 11 hours, it becomes close to 14 hours. I was charging every 90 minutes or so on a Model X.

Yes. That's during the winter. I'm comparing my experience of the drive vs a gas car. Typically with gas, we just grab a bite to eat and then start driving right away. The reduced range in winter hurts, so instead of 11 hours, it becomes close to 14 hours. I was charging every 90 minutes or so on a Model X.
I didn't quite keep track, but yes mine was last year in November during one of the worst winters in the last decade. So it was definitely bad and I had my run ins with driving through blizzard and fog with close to 30% visibility, it was difficult but the Lucid performed amazing through it all. My profile picture is from a supercharger in Ohio along the way from that November road trip.

I had excellent charging sessions back then with each getting me 260-290 kw session peaks without any station limited.

But I wasn't in a rush on that road trip so I can't talk about how much time was lost, but it was an extremely enjoyable road trip

I didn't quite keep track, but yes mine was last year in November during one of the worst winters in the last decade. So it was definitely bad and I had my run ins with driving through blizzard and fog with close to 30% visibility, it was difficult but the Lucid performed amazing through it all. My profile picture is from a supercharger in Ohio along the way from that November road trip.

I had excellent charging sessions back then with each getting me 260-290 kw session peaks without any station limited.

But I wasn't in a rush on that road trip so I can't talk about how much time was lost, but it was an extremely enjoyable road trip
Yeah, I go from Chicago to DC twice a year (summer and winter) for the past 5 years. In the last 2 years with an EV, usually, we can get to DC and grab dinner with friends and family, but last 2 years in winter, didn't quite make it until very late at night. As said before, to us, the last 3 hours were so dark and dreadful. All up to the user experience, as you said, you have an extremely enjoyable trip.

So I did a little test today to see what cold-ish temps would do to range. I chose a route that didn’t have a lot of elevation changes, went in a loop with lots of on-ramps and off ramps, my 19” tires on my Air GT were inflated to 49PSI cold, and I drove mostly 65mph which is at least closer to EPA than InsideEVs tests, and it was consistently 48-50F temps the entire drive, climate was set to 70F. I drove from 99% to 50% SOC and went 205 miles, got 3.9 mi/kwh, meaning the car can do at least 410 total range in those conditions. Given the optimal temps for the battery and range is 80F and we all know range drops precipitously when temps drop, I’m really damned impressed by the car. In fact I got 79% EPA under not good conditions, which makes me think Edmunds range test is crap since they got 78% EPA without reporting their testing parameters. I hope I get a chance to try this again on the same route when temps are 80, I’m convinced I could beat Edmunds and OutOfSpec’s test by quite a lot (I drove 5mph slower than Kyle but only got 20 miles less range and it was 30 degrees colder out, he must have done something wrong). People who complain don’t seem to have any concept of how speed, temperature, tire pressures and elevation affect EV range.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Yeah, let's put it to rest. OP wasn't asking for opinions, just confirmations. He knows what he's doing and believes. Don't believe anyone can convince him otherwise. If whatever he said is true, he needs to get it to service and check, if he hasn't done so already.

I think it’s important to keep this discussion alive so that one’s ignorance about how to assess EV range doesn’t lead them to accusing Lucid of fraud.

I highly doubt you can convince him otherwise. To whoever reads it and still believes him, that's on them too. No one else believes it's a fraud.

So I did a little test today to see what cold-ish temps would do to range. I chose a route that didn’t have a lot of elevation changes, went in a loop with lots of on-ramps and off ramps, my 19” tires on my Air GT were inflated to 49PSI cold, and I drove mostly 65mph which is at least closer to EPA than InsideEVs tests, and it was consistently 48-50F temps the entire drive, climate was set to 70F. I drove from 99% to 50% SOC and went 205 miles, got 3.9 mi/kwh, meaning the car can do at least 410 total range in those conditions. Given the optimal temps for the battery and range is 80F and we all know range drops precipitously when temps drop, I’m really damned impressed by the car. In fact I got 79% EPA under not good conditions, which makes me think Edmunds range test is crap since they got 78% EPA without reporting their testing parameters. I hope I get a chance to try this again on the same route when temps are 80, I’m convinced I could beat Edmunds and OutOfSpec’s test by quite a lot (I drove 5mph slower than Kyle but only got 20 miles less range and it was 30 degrees colder out, he must have done something wrong). People who complain don’t seem to have any concept of how speed, temperature, tire pressures and elevation affect EV range.
Maximum battery capacity will be in the 80 degree range but I think maximum range will occur around 70 degrees on a cloudy day when the AC demand is very low.

Maximum battery capacity will be in the 80 degree range but I think maximum range will occur around 70 degrees on a cloudy day when the AC demand is very low.
When AC is off it does improve efficiency more than 10%. So best range should be about 65 degree weather when AC is always off.

I'm really interested in this test as well, but I have noticed as soon as you hit 30F or freezing temps, it takes an even larger hit.

I'm really interested in this test as well, but I have noticed as soon as you hit 30F or freezing temps, it takes an even larger hit.
I think a key factor would be whether the battery has been cold soaked or not. If it was left plugged in while at 30F and pre-conditioned you’re definitely going to get better range at 30F than if it was cold soaked.

Cold weather test round trip from Providence RI to Nashua NH and back. Starting temperature 28F cold tire pressure 49PSI, speed mostly 67 mph (the maximum EPA speed offset because Lucid reads 2mph over actual speed), with battery pre-conditioned, distance was 87 miles there with some increase in elevation, return trip temps 34F and 87 miles back with some decrease in elevation and a little help from regen due to 2 episodes of rapidly slowing traffic, with speeds mostly 67mph. Got 3.5 mi/kwh there, 4.1 mi/kwh back for an average of 3.8 mi/kwh. That means if you were to drive this loop at freezing temperatures and max EPA speed your range would be over 400 miles. So I think my test suggests any claims about Lucid fraud and EPA results are misplaced. Obviously we all drive faster that that, this is only because of people complaining about cold weather range and EPA, so the test must at least try to incorporate EPA style driving even though EPA 5 cycle test has slower average speed overall. the pics to prove it:

Attachments

• IMG_2375.jpeg
    IMG_2375.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2373.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 43
Cold weather test round trip from Providence RI to Nashua NH and back. Starting temperature 28F cold tire pressure 49PSI, speed mostly 67 mph (the maximum EPA speed offset because Lucid reads 2mph over actual speed), with battery pre-conditioned, distance was 87 miles there with some increase in elevation, return trip temps 34F and 87 miles back with some decrease in elevation and a little help from regen due to 2 episodes of rapidly slowing traffic, with speeds mostly 67mph. Got 3.5 mi/kwh there, 4.1 mi/kwh back for an average of 3.8 mi/kwh. That means if you were to drive this loop at freezing temperatures and max EPA speed your range would be over 400 miles. So I think my test suggests any claims about Lucid fraud and EPA results are misplaced. Obviously we all drive faster that that, this is only because of people complaining about cold weather range and EPA, so the test must at least try to incorporate EPA style driving even though EPA 5 cycle test has slower average speed overall. the pics to prove it:
Nice write up.
Regen is not going to be a net plus to efficiency. The power used to get back to speed after slowing will be greater than the power generated during regen. Regen is definitely better than reducing speed using friction braking, but your overall efficiency is worse than if you were able to maintain steady state.

Nice write up.
Regen is not going to be a net plus to efficiency. The power used to get back to speed after slowing will be greater than the power generated during regen. Regen is definitely better than reducing speed using friction braking, but your overall efficiency is worse than if you were able to maintain steady state.
Yeah in a high powered heavy vehicle like this you definitely lose efficiency getting back up to speed. That’s why this cold weather 28F test was nearly better than my 48F test because the loop was much longer with more time at steady speeds than my 48F test where I must have got off and back on the road 8 times or more and going from 0-67mph in this car even if you do it really slow to use less power still uses a LOT of power. I feel like lower powered cars fare better in stop/go driving than the Lucid for that reason, less weight, less power thus less energy used to get up to speed. Physics.

I should also qualify that yes it’s less than fun to drive the car that slow, my average efficiency in real life is 3.5 cuz I drive 75-80mph, but 65 (67 in the Lucid) is the maximum speed allowed in EPA testing so if you’re going to criticize fhe car’s range you have to drive it in the ballpark of the EPA test. That it’s possible to go 400 miles in freezing temperatures is incredible.

I should also qualify that yes it’s less than fun to drive the car that slow, my average efficiency in real life is 3.5 cuz I drive 75-80mph, but 65 (67 in the Lucid) is the maximum speed allowed in EPA testing so if you’re going to criticize fhe car’s range you have to drive it in the ballpark of the EPA test. That it’s possible to go 400 miles in freezing temperatures is incredible.
Lower efficiency = more fun.
3.1 and proud of it!

Got 3.5 mi/kwh there, 4.1 mi/kwh back for an average of 3.8 mi/kwh.
HIW?!??! Just how?!?!? OI think I drive pretty normal, AND i realize I have 21s (which I am awaiting a time slot to open to put winter tires on), BUT I am getting low 2s right now in the 30s and 40s.

Back