How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wheel size only impacted 0.3 mi./ kWh from my testing. Wheelbase makes the difference but it’s not that big.

Although I have to redact a little bit of what I said because I believe the dream edition specifically has a little bit of a bigger battery, and that may bring it over 400 edge give him the right conditions and the right wheelbase.

It still will be highly conditional and not the norm though definitely not highway driving
I have personally gotten 460 miles in my DE performance on the 19” wheels, driving to and from San Diego from Cupertino.

The 118kWh vs 112kWh isn’t what puts the DE over the edge.

Not every time, but I have done it.

Take from that what you will.

Wheel size only impacted 0.3 mi./ kWh from my testing. Wheelbase makes the difference but it’s not that big.

Although I have to redact a little bit of what I said because I believe the dream edition specifically has a little bit of a bigger battery, and that may bring it over 400 edge give him the right conditions and the right wheelbase.

It still will be highly conditional and not the norm though definitely not highway driving

Forum members have reported efficiency of 2.8-3.0 mi/kWh at around 80 mph. So 3 x 118kWh = 354 miles of highway range.

I have seen reports of 2.4 mi/kWh for the Rivian R1T at around 80 mph (21" wheels). So 2.4 x 142 (max pack) = 341 miles.

I think those are the two highest range BEVs on the market right now. And you are right: neither even come close to 400 miles of range.

My 580 EQS did get slightly better range then my AGT.

If you take a look at my prior posts you’ll see more specifics on that.
Under the same temps, elevation, sustained speed/acceleration style and tire pressures? I don’t believe it. I do believe the 580 EQS might get better city range than the Lucid but not sustained highway speeds, and no range tests by anyone have showed that. The key difference is the P in HP for city driving. The Lucid will use more power to get up to speed from a stop than the EQS. 516 HP vs 816 HP

I very rarely drive on freeways at 80 mph; perhaps 2-3 times a year. I know I am an outlier. Where I reside, 90 percent of my destinations are reached on smaller highways or back roads with speed limits in the 55-75 mph range. This makes achieving ridiculous range quite routine for me, in the warmer months. Driving through the mountains, to Jackson Hole and Teton Park, about 300 totals , I got low to mid 4 m/kWh. Another time, I drove to another location in Wyoming and back, about 200 miles, and got 4.6 m/kWh, which would equate to over 500 miles in my GT. It’s all about speed and temperature.

I think it would be great if manufacturers , or the EPA , or both would stratify expected range , based on speed and perhaps note temperature variations.

Under the same temps, elevation, sustained speed/acceleration style and tire pressures? I don’t believe it. I do believe the 580 EQS might get better city range than the Lucid but not sustained highway speeds, and no range tests by anyone have showed that. The key difference is the P in HP for city driving. The Lucid will use more power to get up to speed from a stop than the EQS. 516 HP vs 816 HP
Hands down yes. These vehicles quite literally have similar if not the same specs. Physics doesn’t respect opinions 🫡

Not only was this my experience, but physics and all. The main advantage the EQS has, ironically, is less horsepower.

Do you still have the EQS580?
Nope, if you read my past history you’ll see some comparison info on past EVs I’ve owned. I’m not particularly fond of the EQS after owning one for a while. I’ll give them credit where it’s due, but it’s an overly gaudy jelly bean looking vehicle and drives in a way that doesn’t work for me. I have no idea what the heck their vehicle design team was thinking.

Hands down yes. These vehicles quite literally have similar if not the same specs. Physics doesn’t respect opinions 🫡

Not only was this my experience, but physics and all. The main advantage the EQS has, ironically, is less horsepower.
There is a lot more to physics than weight, CD and frontal area. Some people refer to this solid state physics, material science, thermodynamics add electromagnetics. The power conversion in the inverters, current flow and magnetic flux in the motors, battery design, and thermal management play an important role in overall efficiency. This is where Lucid beats all the other EV makers out there.

Nope, if you read my past history you’ll see some comparison info on past EVs I’ve owned. I’m not particularly fond of the EQS after owning one for a while. I’ll give them credit where it’s due, but it’s an overly gaudy jelly bean looking vehicle and drives in a way that doesn’t work for me. I have no idea what the heck their vehicle design team was thinking.
Yeah I couldn’t remember if you still had it or not. I was going to wager $1,000 that if I drove your EQS and my GT on the identical route I did the cold weather test on under identical conditions that the Lucid would go farther haha.

I also think sample size matters. I think maybe a lot of people here are driving five or ten miles and then extrapolating what a road trip would be like from that. Not really a great way to determine long-range performance. I find my average will improve over time. Which makes sense, given I'm doing much worse going from my garage through the city streets untIl I make it to the highway. Then it'll average out as I do the next 100 miles at a steady speed.
I am definitely not extrapolating.

2.9 miles kWh DE with 21s and no aero on wheels over 24,000 miles with vast majority being road trip
2.4 miles kWh Sapphire no aero on wheels over 3000 miles mostly road trip

I make zero effort for efficiency and keep the cabin comfortable. Rarely use cruise and accelerate back to speed quickly when I have to slow for traffic. A lot of these miles are at ~80. Note I also frequently take secondary roads over interstate which involves more stopping.
The Sapphire to Texas and back was mostly interstate.

I plan for 300 miles in Sapphire and 350 miles for the DE. That is easy 3-4 hours of drive time from 80-85% charge and is as long or longer than I’m going to go between stops.

I am definitely not extrapolating.

2.9 miles kWh DE with 21s and no aero on wheels over 24,000 miles with vast majority being road trip
2.4 miles kWh Sapphire no aero on wheels over 3000 miles mostly road trip

I make zero effort for efficiency and keep the cabin comfortable. Rarely use cruise and accelerate back to speed quickly when I have to slow for traffic. A lot of these miles are at ~80. Note I also frequently take secondary roads over interstate which involves more stopping.
The Sapphire to Texas and back was mostly interstate.

I plan for 300 miles in Sapphire and 350 miles for the DE. That is easy 3-4 hours of drive time from 80-85% charge and is as long or longer than I’m going to go between stops.
Yup, this mirrors closely with my numbers as well given I have consistently sample sizes running my AGT from 100% - 10%-ish on straight shot non-fluctuating highway drives averaging 75-80mph.

Yeah I couldn’t remember if you still had it or not. I was going to wager $1,000 that if I drove your EQS and my GT on the identical route I did the cold weather test on under identical conditions that the Lucid would go farther haha.
I’d take you on that bet if I still could 😉

Is it not just simpler to agree that the only number that really matters is mile per Kwh and battery size?
I have 3.8 m/Kwh on 8500 miles
GT with 19's and I keep the Aero covers on wheels
Yes I drive mixed Highway/city and on Highway 65-75 over 80 on rare occasions
so for me on fully charged battery thats 425.6 miles but I rarely travel with < 20% when away from home so really only have 80% of my range to use so thats 340 miles before I charge on a road trip and never worry . I think thats descent to have 5 hrs of driving without need for stop or charging on long trip when taken which is not an everyday event. Now if I recharge on the road trip its usually only to 85-90% at EA so somewhat less range available unless use a level 2 overnight

Is it not just simpler to agree that the only number that really matters is mile per Kwh and battery size?
I have 3.8 m/Kwh on 8500 miles
GT with 19's and I keep the Aero covers on wheels
Yes I drive mixed Highway/city and on Highway 65-75 over 80 on rare occasions
so for me on fully charged battery thats 425.6 miles but I rarely travel with < 20% when away from home so really only have 80% of my range to use so thats 340 miles before I charge on a road trip and never worry . I think thats descent to have 5 hrs of driving without need for stop or charging on long trip when taken which is not an everyday event. Now if I recharge on the road trip its usually only to 85-90% at EA so somewhat less range available unless use a level 2 overnight
300 miles is about as far as I would ever take an ICE vehicle anyway. The only thing we need is plentiful enough charging to not worry about it, the same way I am never worried about finding gas when low, so that if you get less because of weather or something, or you didn;t plan in detail in advance for every contingency, or a station is closed, you aren't screwed.

we drove 164.6 miles today, mostly highway at or just above 80 mph. Weather was dry with around 80-84 degrees and AC and ventilation seats running all the time. We stopped to eat, stopped at CVS, and stopped at friend’s house. I was driving normal which is always quick and about 10 mph over speed limit. 3.9 m/kwh is pretty good on my Touring with 19 inch wheels. That is about 340 to 360 range on this car if you look at 88 kwh usable battery of the 92 kwh battery size.

Lifetime, which is tracked by trip B, I am at 3.8 m/kwh. That is about a 330 to 350 range on this car which is great.
IMG_6147.jpeg

we drove 164.6 miles today, mostly highway at or just above 80 mph. Weather was dry with around 80-84 degrees and AC and ventilation seats running all the time. We stopped to eat, stopped at CVS, and stopped at friend’s house. I was driving normal which is always quick and about 10 mph over speed limit. 3.9 m/kwh is pretty good on my Touring with 19 inch wheels. That is about 340 to 360 range on this car if you look at 88 kwh usable battery of the 92 kwh battery size.

Lifetime, which is tracked by trip B, I am at 3.8 m/kwh. That is about a 330 to 350 range on this car which is great.
View attachment 16918

That is phenomenal!!!

over the last 2 days it's been rainy/wet snow here, about 2-5 degrees celsius, almost all city driving in Vancouver, heater set at 23.5 celsius, A/C off, 19" w/ winter tires and I got 270 kms with the battery going from 80% charge to 10%, which I wasn't very impressed with. I think my computer calculated about 3.2 km/kwh (= 2mi/kwh). I've had my SC check my car several times to see if the range/battery is accurate and they have said everything is functioning correctly. Maybe I just drive overly aggressively, although I do drive in smooth exclusively?

I very rarely drive on freeways at 80 mph; perhaps 2-3 times a year. I know I am an outlier. Where I reside, 90 percent of my destinations are reached on smaller highways or back roads with speed limits in the 55-75 mph range. This makes achieving ridiculous range quite routine for me, in the warmer months. Driving through the mountains, to Jackson Hole and Teton Park, about 300 totals , I got low to mid 4 m/kWh. Another time, I drove to another location in Wyoming and back, about 200 miles, and got 4.6 m/kWh, which would equate to over 500 miles in my GT. It’s all about speed and temperature.

I think it would be great if manufacturers , or the EPA , or both would stratify expected range , based on speed and perhaps note temperature variations.
I have similar driving routines and hit 4.1m/kWh usually. Driving a touring with 19” rims..

over the last 2 days it's been rainy/wet snow here, about 2-5 degrees celsius, almost all city driving in Vancouver, heater set at 23.5 celsius, A/C off, 19" w/ winter tires and I got 270 kms with the battery going from 80% charge to 10%, which I wasn't very impressed with. I think my computer calculated about 3.2 km/kwh (= 2mi/kwh). I've had my SC check my car several times to see if the range/battery is accurate and they have said everything is functioning correctly. Maybe I just drive overly aggressively, although I do drive in smooth exclusively?
That seems really bad, especially for GT and even in those conditions.

Back