How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I keep hearing numbers like "3 hours" as if that is some universal time tax on all road trips taken with an EV.

My recent trip to Santa Fe I charged for a total of 45 minutes in each direction. We ate lunch while we charged.

We spent almost as much time on bathroom breaks as we did charging that trip.

It's cool that some folks don't want to do the few minutes of planning and don't like the risk factor. I totally get it. But this notion that road tripping in an EV means "THREE EXTRA HOURS OF TRAVEL TIME" is oversimplified and just flat out wrong for most normal trips.
That's the thing - I've done a bunch of road trips in both EV and ICE cars and can't remember the last time I drove for more than a couple hours without stopping. Especially with kids in the car, they have to pee/need a snack/chase a butterfly all the time! Even when it was just me and the boys on a trip from NJ to Boston, we stopped once to charge and eat and by the time we were done the car was ready to proceed. Unless you are some sort of reincarnated long haul trucker I don't understand the frustration with stopping on a road trip.

That said, electrify america really need to upgrade their stalls to have 8 chargers instead of 4. They fill up way too fast. I don't mind stopping, but the waiting is a killer...

Yeah no, I took an Air on the autobahn to top speed at below zero weather and expect EPA range!

Your statement makes as much sense as that. Most Teslas degrade in winter weather the same if not worse than the Lucid air.
Again, as I've said, my 2 teslas did not degrade as you suggest. Your information is simply not accurate to my experience.

I keep hearing numbers like "3 hours" as if that is some universal time tax on all road trips taken with an EV.

My recent trip to Santa Fe I charged for a total of 45 minutes in each direction. We ate lunch while we charged.

We spent almost as much time on bathroom breaks as we did charging that trip.

It's cool that some folks don't want to do the few minutes of planning and don't like the risk factor. I totally get it. But this notion that road tripping in an EV means "THREE EXTRA HOURS OF TRAVEL TIME" is oversimplified and just flat out wrong for most normal trips.
If you read my post before that, you would know I'm referring to my trip from Chicago to DC, which took 3 extra hours. Chill out man, getting way too defensive for no reason.

If you read my post before that, you would know I'm referring to my trip from Chicago to DC, which took 3 extra hours. Chill out man, getting way too defensive for no reason.

Okay. Let's make one thing perfectly clear. We don't tell people to "Chill out" here. It's rude. You wouldn't say that in person amongst a group of strangers. So don't do it here.

Second, you missed the bit where I said "I totally get it." You do you. I'm just offering a counterpoint. Despite numerous posts here over the months claiming that roadtripping in an EV is a major burden, that has simply not been my experience. Nor is it the experience of many others.

I 100% agree with you on this. I don't understand why people take EVs for long road trips. I've done many from Chicago to DC and it's just unnecessary hassles. The trip took about 3 hours longer due to charging, especially in winter, and that's with the superchargers. After experiencing it 3 times, went to gas for road trips. Locally or short distance trips, EVs are amazing.
I take my Model S with me on long road trips (travel for work a lot), as it is my car and my wife would not drive any EV. Lol. So, charging infrastructure and the best range are extremely important to me. Plus, I love driving an EV compared to an ICE car. So much more fun on a trip. If I can’t take an EV on my normal driving, then there is no point in even having an EV. 🙂

I think the mile per KWH is so confusing and will be really confusing for the general public. When people ask me what range I get, I give them an estimated range in miles, as no one outside of people that currently own EV’s understand the KWH analogy. I also add that range is affected by how people drive, weather, etc. Heck - miles make more sense to me too. Lol. Total miles is what we have been programmed to understand so long and will make more sense for most people as they try to transition to EV’s.

Last edited:
Okay. Let's make one thing perfectly clear. We don't tell people to "Chill out" here. It's rude. You wouldn't say that in person amongst a group of strangers. So don't do it here.

Second, you missed the bit where I said "I totally get it." You do you. I'm just offering a counterpoint. Despite numerous posts here over the months claiming that roadtripping in an EV is a major burden, that has simply not been my experience. Nor is it the experience of many others.
Your counterpoint was referring to me as if I made "3 hours" out of the blue for no reason. Try a trip from Chicago to DC around Xmas break when kids are off then tell me how much longer it takes. It's going to be at least 3 more hours. To each of our own, you do you.

Yes, have used it a couple times, but after an 8pm football game and driving back to Charlotte, that midnight stop is not pleasant. There is one in north Charlotte as well, but that area is even worse, never have stopped there. I am not saying it cannot be done, just saying I have a choice and the Air doesn't make the cut in certain circumstances, especially when travelling with the wife.
Haha. Yes, the wife ends up adding another variable to the trip. I thought I was being smart on a trip to Gainesville earlier this year and planned a stop at an EA next to an outlet mall. I thought I could get the car charged while she walked the stores. Well, the Lucid Air was charged to 80% in 25 minutes (great charger!), but my wife spent 2 hours shopping, and spent a ton of money!

Agreed. I think we're all getting pretty good at it. And I'm still sticking with the 3 x % SOC as my starting point for miles remaining in the battery. Adjust as appropriate
I used 3.5 miles per 1%, but I have not driven in temps below freezing and probably not more than a few hundred below 40.

Your counterpoint was referring to me as if I made "3 hours" out of the blue for no reason. Try a trip from Chicago to DC around Xmas break when kids are off then tell me how much longer it takes. It's going to be at least 3 more hours. To each of our own, you do you.
Nope. Didn't suggest you made anything up out of the blue. I simply said not all road trips would involve a 3 hour delay. And then offered an example of one that didn't.

Lots of folks here have complained about inordinate delays during road trips. When I react to something, it's almost never to a single post. It's usually due to a pattern of a particular sentiment that I feel often skews perception to outside viewers.

Often times road trip delays are due to poor planning. (Again, not you, just saying.) Other times it's poor infrastructure where you tend to drive. That said, I don't mean to suggest everyone can road trip with ease in an EV. (I apologize if it came off that way.) I just see these posts day after day and I worry that folks coming into the EV world stumble on forums like this and think massive delays are just "how it is."

We need as many different experiences represented here as possible, so people can make informed decisions.

It would be nice to know the kW draw of the different sub systems. I estimate the parasitic draw during charging is about 600 watts. 0.6 kW. It‘s hard to get a good estimate for preconditioning. Temperature is going to have a significant impact.
I will include that calculation in my test. Thanks for the input.

I used 3.5 miles per 1%, but I have not driven in temps below freezing and probably not more than a few hundred below 40.
Sounds like someone is temperature-shaming the guy in Buffalo 🤣🤣🤣

Only kidding of course.

I should add that I have a Touring, too. But even with the 92 kWh battery and the 'occasional' cold weather here in WNY, 3 is still a somewhat conservative factor to use. Unless it's really cold or I really need to get somewhere quickly, I'm almost always over 3 mi/kWh

Wow, lots of haters. Sorry to say, I had 2 Model 3's and this is my experience on the exact same set of roads and the exact same temperatures. What i am trying to convey is that the temperature derate for this car is WAY worse than I experienced in 4 years of Model 3 driving. So much so that it feels fraudulent to me.
“Hater” would be accusing Lucid of breaking the law by committing fraud when they advertised the results of their EPA testing. I’ve driven a Model 3 in 30 degrees. 50% EPA was what I could expect going 75mph. They use the same 5 cycle EPA test as Lucid. I don’t see that you confirmed your tires were at the correct cold pressure before you drove either. That’s also not fraud on the part of Lucid.

My lifetime average for my AGT at > 20,000 miles is 3.0 mi/kWh on 21" wheels.
Same here, I’m sure both of us are not light foot to drive just 65 mph.

Agreed. I think we're all getting pretty good at it. And I'm still sticking with the 3 x % SOC as my starting point for miles remaining in the battery. Adjust as appropriate
Yeah, the only reason I'm noting what I am is because I've learned people suck at doing math in their heads 😅. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

My 2 cents: in perfect weather at fast freeway speeds (not EPA speed), both my old Model 3 performance and my Lucid Air GT get about 75% of their rated EPA range. It's not surprising, as they both use the same 5-cycle EPA testing method. However, this means the Air has about 150 freeway miles greater actual range.

On a recent 600-mile road trip, we only road-charged once, and really didn't need to do that, thanks to destination charging at our hotel halfway through.

“Hater” would be accusing Lucid of breaking the law by committing fraud when they advertised the results of their EPA testing. I’ve driven a Model 3 in 30 degrees. 50% EPA was what I could expect going 75mph. They use the same 5 cycle EPA test as Lucid. I don’t see that you confirmed your tires were at the correct cold pressure before you drove either. That’s also not fraud on the part of Lucid.
Wow you wont give up. My 19” tires are at correct pressure. You are assuming that I am a rube. I happen to be a pro race car driver and extremely familiar with EVs ano battery tech in particular. My firm (me) designs and installs residential and commercial solar plus battery systems and I have lots of frost hand knowledge of different battery chemistries and their behavior under load, at varying temperatures, etc. I was drivin reasonably slowly on local roads with short highway/parkway stints. As I said, this is the same commute I did with my Model 3 so it is more a comparison of the derate of Lucid tech against tesla tech. I will not buy another Tesla because Elon has gone off the rails, IMHO, but that said, it was a pretty good car and I was hoping that the Air would be better. In this regard, it is not.

Back