• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Got an astonishing lesson in the effect of speed (and maybe a/c) on range this last weekend on a round trip from Berkeley to Avila Beach (ca. 240 miles). On the way down we were losing 1.4 miles of range for each mile traveled - going at 75+ with the a/c on. However I had enough range so I did not mind.

On the way back (Sunday) we were short on range and stations in Atascadero and Paso were full with people waiting. So we set sail for Soledad (EA at Foods Co) with 140 miles of range and showing an expected range on arrival of 47 miles. However, with a/c off and "highway ass" set to 65, the range was decreasing in lockstep with the miles traveled, sometimes slightly better. At Soledad we had 69 miles of range, much better than predicted. I would have had enough range to get to the next EA at Salinas, but we got lucky at Soledad. I now see how the advertised range could be possible! But it can't be too hot or cold outside, and you'd better get ready for some quizzical looks from the horde of overtakers as your "sports car" pootles along in the slow lane!

Got an astonishing lesson in the effect of speed (and maybe a/c) on range this last weekend on a round trip from Berkeley to Avila Beach (ca. 240 miles). On the way down we were losing 1.4 miles of range for each mile traveled - going at 75+ with the a/c on. However I had enough range so I did not mind.

On the way back (Sunday) we were short on range and stations in Atascadero and Paso were full with people waiting. So we set sail for Soledad (EA at Foods Co) with 140 miles of range and showing an expected range on arrival of 47 miles. However, with a/c off and "highway ass" set to 65, the range was decreasing in lockstep with the miles traveled, sometimes slightly better. At Soledad we had 69 miles of range, much better than predicted. I would have had enough range to get to the next EA at Salinas, but we got lucky at Soledad. I now see how the advertised range could be possible! But it can't be too hot or cold outside, and you'd better get ready for some quizzical looks from the horde of overtakers as your "sports car" pootles along in the slow lane!

I drive a GT with 19” rims. I figured out that dividing 516 rated miles by 106 kWh (that’s what’s useable out of 112), gave me 4.9 miles per kWh. How slow would one have to drive to achieve that, 60 mph? 55 mph?

I drive a GT with 19” rims. I figured out that dividing 516 rated miles by 106 kWh (that’s what’s useable out of 112), gave me 4.9 miles per kWh. How slow would one have to drive to achieve that, 60 mph? 55 mph?

Most likely city miles at 40 mph to be optimal for any EV.

So just ran my car (Air Pure) from 85% - 349 miles down to the bottom. When I charged it said I had 20 miles left. I only got 175 miles on that charge- almost 50% of expected range. It is cold here - hovering in the 30s and I have used seat warmer and steering wheel heater but this is absurd. These are the same roads I drove with my Model 3 and I got maybe 80% or 85% in comparable weather/roads. Feeling like this is just out and out fraud at this point. After over 2,000 miles, I am at 3.6 miles per KWH which is nowhere near the claimed range. Love the car - feel “conned” about the range!

So just ran my car (Air Pure) from 85% - 349 miles down to the bottom. When I charged it said I had 20 miles left. I only got 175 miles on that charge- almost 50% of expected range. It is cold here - hovering in the 30s and I have used seat warmer and steering wheel heater but this is absurd. These are the same roads I drove with my Model 3 and I got maybe 80% or 85% in comparable weather/roads. Feeling like this is just out and out fraud at this point. After over 2,000 miles, I am at 3.6 miles per KWH which is nowhere near the claimed range. Love the car - feel “conned” about the range!
There is no EV in existence that will get 80% of EPA range in 30 degree weather.

There is no EV in existence that will get 80% of EPA range in 30 degree weather.

I have twice tested the range in our 2021 Model S Plaid by driving 80 mph across Alligator Alley -- a straight, flat, lightly traveled stretch of Interstate 75 through the Florida Everglades -- in dry, temperate (about 85%) weather with the A/C set to 72º. It got about 73% of its rated range. In the same range testing in our Lucid Air Dream Performance (both cars on 21" wheels), it got about 78% of its rated range. (Given the Air's much higher EPA range -- 451 vs. 348 -- this translates to almost 100 miles more actual highway range in our Air than in our Model S.)

There is simply no way a Model 3 -- or any other Tesla -- will get 80-85% of its EPA range in 30º temperatures if driven at average highway speeds which, according to DOT studies, is 78 mph.

I don't think you did a comparable test. I've had a Tesla since 2013, most recently a Model X. When I drive above 75 in 30-degree temps, 50% is about right.

I Claiming “fraud” is a strong allegation and a bit dramatic. As for the comparisons on range and cold weather with that M3 of yours, I think the previous commenters have that one covered.

I was lucky to get 60% from my Model 3 in the summer. I would have been tickled with 50% in winter.

I just completed a trip to Santa Fe, 420 miles away. On the way home, I drove 75 mph in the snow. Still only had to charge once. (To 88%, not 100.) And I have a Touring, not a GT.

This argument comes up time and time again. And one fact remains undisputed: The Air will take you further than any other EV on a charge.

When you are on the road, that’s the only thing that matters.

Did you look at how epa tests for range and try to duplicate thst? I personally do not drive at epa speeds on any highway where the speed limit is higher than epa. As far as I know, epa does not test in 30 degree weather. Congrats. You did great.

Wow, lots of haters. Sorry to say, I had 2 Model 3's and this is my experience on the exact same set of roads and the exact same temperatures. What i am trying to convey is that the temperature derate for this car is WAY worse than I experienced in 4 years of Model 3 driving. So much so that it feels fraudulent to me.

Did you look at how epa tests for range and try to duplicate thst? I personally do not drive at epa speeds on any highway where the speed limit is higher than epa. As far as I know, epa does not test in 30 degree weather. Congrats. You did great.
Not sure why you are trying to be an apologist. If we want this car/brand to succeed, we need to be truthful and realistic about our experience. 50% of rated range is not "great" by any measure. Wake up.

Not sure why you are trying to be an apologist. If we want this car/brand to succeed, we need to be truthful and realistic about our experience. 50% of rated range is not "great" by any measure. Wake up.
Yeah no, I took an Air on the autobahn to top speed at below zero weather and expect EPA range!

Your statement makes as much sense as that. Most Teslas degrade in winter weather the same if not worse than the Lucid air.

Wow, lots of haters. Sorry to say, I had 2 Model 3's and this is my experience on the exact same set of roads and the exact same temperatures. What i am trying to convey is that the temperature derate for this car is WAY worse than I experienced in 4 years of Model 3 driving. So much so that it feels fraudulent to me.
This is getting personal and if it happens again will be deleted. People are free to post their experience and you are free to post yours. Calling people haters or apologists is not allowed. I would also not use the fraud claim lightly as you have.

Newer Teslas use a heat pump while the Lucid Air has resistance heating, so one would expect the Air to lose more range in cold weather than a Tesla. It's not that point I'm contesting, though. What I find suspect is the claim that the Model 3 gets 80-85% of its rated range in 30º weather while the Lucid gets only 50% on the same roads in the same conditions.

That is far beyond what could be accounted for by the difference between heating methods and does not square with the observations of others who drive both Lucids and Teslas, nor with the results of extensive range testing by Edmunds, InsideEVs, and other reputable reviewers.

Every reputable reviewer who has tested multiple EV brands in controlled conditions has found that every Lucid model gets closer to its EPA-rated range than any Tesla model gets to its rated range.

Love the car, but no more EV's, period for me. I have done the Charlotte to Chapel Hill trip quite a bit and the last trip was the first where I had to charge on the way back for a 300 mile round trip. I probably could have made it back to Charlotte, but it would have been close. It would have been 1/2 tank of gas for my wife's MB GLS450. It was a bit colder (high 40's/50's) and a little rain on the way up.

Again, the Air ranks in the top two cars I have ever owned. For around town, it is my favorite. For trips, well, we don't take it much further than the Chapel Hill round-trip due to a host of reasons, mostly the uncertain charging infrastructure and the requirement for extensive planning and semi-rigid scheduling. I have an upcoming trip scheduled from Charlotte to Nashville to Atlanta and back to Charlotte, not taking the Lucid.

Love the car, but no more EV's, period for me. I have done the Charlotte to Chapel Hill trip quite a bit and the last trip was the first where I had to charge on the way back for a 300 mile round trip. I probably could have made it back to Charlotte, but it would have been close. It would have been 1/2 tank of gas for my wife's MB GLS450. It was a bit colder (high 40's/50's) and a little rain on the way up.

Again, the Air ranks in the top two cars I have ever owned. For around town, it is my favorite. For trips, well, we don't take it much further than the Chapel Hill round-trip due to a host of reasons, mostly the uncertain charging infrastructure and the requirement for extensive planning and semi-rigid scheduling. I have an upcoming trip scheduled from Charlotte to Nashville to Atlanta and back to Charlotte, not taking the Lucid.
I understand that EVs are not for everyone. But, every time I have traveled with my Lucid Air, it has been great. All it takes is a few minutes while having coffee to figure out where you can stop. I took the liberty to review your Charlotte to Chapel Hill route, and there is an Electrify America charger in Greensboro by a Super Walmart that has an excellent rating and would be a reliable stop. Best of luck on your upcoming trip!

I 100% agree with you on this. I don't understand why people take EVs for long road trips. I've done many from Chicago to DC and it's just unnecessary hassles. The trip took about 3 hours longer due to charging, especially in winter, and that's with the superchargers. After experiencing it 3 times, went to gas for road trips. Locally or short distance trips, EVs are amazing.

Back