• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would just like to add some input from our lovely rental car: the Kia Soul.

The car's "range" is 35mpg x ~11 gallons for 385 miles of range. I suspect it is really 12 gallons to a tank, but it would be foolish to get that low. Let's say 420 miles of range to be fair though.

The car's range indicator is spot on around 70 mph, but it does not account for temperature or elevation change. Go any slower and suddenly you are getting more range (a lot more when at 55 mph)... Go any faster such as 80+, you could lose as much as 2 miles every few minutes on the range estimate.

Never does the car permanently adjust like the Lucid based on your current driving efficiency. Given elevation changes, it does not adjust for this either and actually made an active difference on our trip. To top it all off, the car being driven like our Lucid required being filled every 300 miles for 30mpg or ~86% of advertised efficiency (much less at higher speeds). The drag coefficient of the vehicle was very noticeable compared to our Lucid and Ioniq Hybrid.

All this to say the grass isn't greener on the other side folks. In fact, our grass is pretty green with the Lucid. Nothing to say to the many other poorer aspects of the grand Kia Soul...

I'll take our lifetime average of 3.2 miles per kWh with fairly accurate range estimates any day. I can at least predict with a much finer granularity the range and the effects of driving habits on the car.

lovely rental car: the Kia Soul.
banned from the forum

And yes, I do think that the EV vs gas debate has a bit of hypocrisy in it. I never saw anybody really care that much about range with gas cars(albeit there are more gas stations). I also never saw a MPG display that dynamically adjusted, as you said.

On the second half of my trip to Santa Fe I turned on the Lucid native nav just for the heck of it, and initially it told me I’d arrive in town with 57 miles of range on arrival. But I did so well in efficiency it quickly climbed up to 92 miles of range on arrival. And it stayed there until the last 10-20 miles, where I got tired of driving 75 and gunned it to 85. Even then I arrived with more than 80 miles of range.

Of course, my percentage meter was at 23%. So by my more reliable calculation, I would have gotten more like 60 miles before being in trouble. But it was nice to see it changing its prediction as I drove along.

My Touring has 3,700 miles. I live in Florida, hot weather, no hills. I drive sometimes smoothly and slow and sometimes with a heavy foot. My AC is always on. 19 inch wheels. I have 3.8 m/kwh lifetime. On the highway, at 75-80 mph, I get about 3.5 m/kwh.

I am hearing from a lot of owners that they are getting no where near the estimated range published on the Lucid Motors site. I know this is not uncommon of any EV, including Tesla. But I am curious what range you are actually getting with your "normal" driving - however you normally drive.
For me (living in the mid-Atlantic) it has a LOT to do with the weather. Not just in terms of decisions to crank up the AC or the heat, but in low temps I notice that battery power is drawn at a much higher rate. Traffic conditions matter as well. I drive to Philly from DC on a fairly frequent basis and tend to hit two rush hours (can only avoid 1 of the 3 on a Friday). I’m still enormously please with the output however!

AND UPON ARRIVAL AT OUR SCHWANKY HOTEL, THE VALETS ALWAYS WANT US OUT FRONT! LAST WEEKEND, THEY MOVED A MAZERATI TO MAKE ROOM FOR OUR AGT. IT WAS KEPT COMPANY BY A MATCHING BENTLEY 😜

I've passed 100 miles now and am holding steady at 3.3 - given temp has been between 40-50 the whole time and I'm like a child when I merge onto our highway or want to change lanes even for like 1 exit...I think that means smoothly driving around town in most TX temps I can probably get like 3.7 or so but we'll see! I have one trip set for lifetime, one I'll reset for actual trips, and then the since last charge is there.

I initially thought to post this in the San Diego owners sub-forum but that room has been quiet for a while.

So I’m gaming out a drive from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ on ABRP (abrp.com). Driving distance is a little under 360 miles. I would think that if I kept my speed below 70 mph I’d be able to make it without recharging. There is however a 6000 ft elevation gain and loss, traversing the Cajon Pass.

ABRP thinks I need to stop and charge once, for about 20 minutes. Has anyone attempted the San Diego - Phoenix drive without stopping to charge?

I’m in an Air GT, 19 inch rims. Pretty heavy right foot.

I initially thought to post this in the San Diego owners sub-forum but that room has been quiet for a while.

So I’m gaming out a drive from San Diego CA to Phoenix AZ on ABRP (abrp.com). Driving distance is a little under 360 miles. I would think that if I kept my speed below 70 mph I’d be able to make it without recharging. There is however a 6000 ft elevation gain and loss, traversing the Cajon Pass.

ABRP thinks I need to stop and charge once, for about 20 minutes. Has anyone attempted the San Diego - Phoenix drive without stopping to charge?

Just a quick note, but the Lucid Nav is now so good it will put you within a 1% range of your destination. I've used it instead of abrp now since they've fixed it and I used it to go to AZ and Vegas from Utah and it's very spot on with destination charge %

Just a quick note, but the Lucid Nav is now so good it will put you within a 1% range of your destination. I've used it instead of abrp now since they've fixed it and I used it to go to AZ and Vegas from Utah and it's very spot on with destination charge %

Good to know. Thank you. While waiting for a response I changed some parameters around on ABRP. Indeed, it says that if drive no faster than 80 mph, I can arrive in Phoenix AZ with 7% remaining. The next time I’m home I’ll plug in a drive from my house to Phoenix starting at 100%, and see what the Lucid nav says.

Difficult to drive below 70 in Az.

On the second half of my trip to Santa Fe I turned on the Lucid native nav just for the heck of it, and initially it told me I’d arrive in town with 57 miles of range on arrival. But I did so well in efficiency it quickly climbed up to 92 miles of range on arrival. And it stayed there until the last 10-20 miles, where I got tired of driving 75 and gunned it to 85. Even then I arrived with more than 80 miles of range.

Of course, my percentage meter was at 23%. So by my more reliable calculation, I would have gotten more like 60 miles before being in trouble. But it was nice to see it changing its prediction as I drove along.
I noticed that on the trip to L.A. last weekend. The first part of it, I managed to stay around 70mph. I was seeing 4.4 for the trip, until I got bored and started doing 80. It dropped pretty quickly back to it's normal 3.3

I'm not sure, but so far my experience is much lower mileage after dark too... I suspect headlights and the panels' lighting is significant (SWAG).
We just drove our Pure from NH to FL over Thanksgiving. It has the 19" wheels and getting 4.6 m/kw is remarkably easy, unless it's cold and you're driving very fast. So, when we got into the warmer climate, didn't need heat or A/C and driving 65-70 I figured I'd see better numbers .. BUT not the case. It was night time, and those beautifully bright headlights I figured were the culprit. Curious how much energy they consume.

We also have a Touring on 20" wheels and I was very surprised how at how much less energy efficient those wheels are in comparison to the 19"

We just drove our Pure from NH to FL over Thanksgiving. It has the 19" wheels and getting 4.6 m/kw is remarkably easy, unless it's cold and you're driving very fast. So, when we got into the warmer climate, didn't need heat or A/C and driving 65-70 I figured I'd see better numbers .. BUT not the case. It was night time, and those beautifully bright headlights I figured were the culprit. Curious how much energy they consume.

We also have a Touring on 20" wheels and I was very surprised how at how much less energy efficient those wheels are in comparison to the 19"
LED lights draw remarkably little power, I doubt its enough to noticably affect the range. Maybe you were preconditioning often if routing from charger to charger?

LED lights draw remarkably little power, I doubt its enough to noticably affect the range. Maybe you were preconditioning often if routing from charger to charger?
True; We did navigate to EA chargers so precondition would occur. But the m/kw remained pretty consistent *after* leaving the charger while at night, and didn't taper down 30-or-so minutes prior to the next charger. Though, I don't have a spread sheet to support it all. I realize LEDs draw a lot less power, but also figure the additional cooling on the hood was put there for a reason. They must get pretty warm and something which generates heat uses power.

I love data - and I'm sure there's lots of it inside the car. Can't wait for Lucid to give us some meaningful stats and graphs.

It's funny .. "in the olden days" we'd just say: yeah, I'm down 5mpg because of winter .. and not think any more of it 😜

4.6 m/kwh is pretty impressive. I have a Touring with 19-inch wheels, and my best is around 4.0. I do live in hot weather down in South Florida though and my AC is running all the time.

3.6 m/kwh and slowly dropping. Seattle area. This will be my first winter with the Pure. 19 inch wheels AWD.

4.6 m/kwh is pretty impressive. I have a Touring with 19-inch wheels, and my best is around 4.0. I do live in hot weather down in South Florida though and my AC is running all the time.
The 4.6 on the Pure with 19" was probably with the heat/AC off .. slow around town it goes up into the 5's. Kyle, of "out of spec", did a Tesla test with and without A/C running and found on the Model S using the A/C took as much as 14% ... so, 4.6 without A/C, is about 4.0 with A/C

The 4.6 on the Pure with 19" was probably with the heat/AC off .. slow around town it goes up into the 5's. Kyle, of "out of spec", did a Tesla test with and without A/C running and found on the Model S using the A/C took as much as 14% ... so, 4.6 without A/C, is about 4.0 with A/C

Thanks for the info!! I need to lose weight so maybe i will turn my AC off for a bit and just sweat! Anyway, I will test this in the near future.

Thanks for the info!! I need to lose weight so maybe i will turn my AC off for a bit and just sweat! Anyway, I will test this in the near future.
Wow, that's also weight reduction which increases your range EVEN MORE!

(a joke, obviously)

Last edited:
Back