How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Today was the worst average I've ever got on a road trip of about 240 miles. I averaged only 2.7 kWH. Factors for consideration -- it was raining the entire round trip. Temperature averaged 52 degrees. My mph was 62 to 73 in Highway Assist plus a 35 minute traffic jam.

I stunned at only a 2.7 kWh average. 😱😱

Today was the worst average I've ever got on a road trip of about 240 miles. I averaged only 2.7 kWH. Factors for consideration -- it was raining the entire round trip. Temperature averaged 52 degrees. My mph was 62 to 73 in Highway Assist plus a 35 minute traffic jam.

Rain really kills range. I didn’t know this either until I experienced it.

Something to do with friction, physics, blah blah.

On 19” at correct PSI? I’ve done much better than that in extreme rain plus traffic jam.

I'm not sure, but so far my experience is much lower mileage after dark too... I suspect headlights and the panels' lighting is significant (SWAG).

Another thousand miles, so another update from me…

6000 miles = 4.818 miles/kWh
How? Just how? I have never even come close to 4.0 for a full charge and I drive in smooth mode all the time!

Bravo on the 4.8 mi/kWh.

For me: One year, 14,000 miles in all types of weather and in all types of terrain and 3.4 mi./kWh. I have gotten 4+ efficiency on steady-speed level terrain highway driving in 70-degree weather. Regular around-town driving is in the low 3s or high 2s.

I've owned Air GT (19" wheels) for 1,200 miles now. I live in the mountains where I regularly climb 5.000 ft going home, and lose that same elevation going to town. Some highway, lots of stop and go and a moderate amount of heater/AC use and charge conditioning sometimes. I've left the "Trip 3" set from the time I picked up the car with 23 miles on it. The total aggregate miles per KWH is reading 4.1 for the 1,200 mile life of the car. That translates to a fully charged battery providing 460 miles or 88.6% of advertised range. I have noticed on short trips on level ground going no more than about 45mph (accelerating easily) I'll get 5.5 to 6 miles per KWH, but that's not realistic driving of course. I'd say that's pretty decent, no complaints here. I'd say on a long trip, no wind, 60 to 65mph, I'd easily get 500+ miles, perhaps more.

That does seem a little “off” if this is over flat roads and no/little wind.

I have never heard of a “break-in” period with an EV before. A little strange
"Break in" usually applies to the batteries... it's well-known in "battery circles" that all solid-chemistry batteries take a number of low to high cycling before they reach their full capacity. Some flooded battery manufacturers also recommend several deep-cycling events to bring the battery to full performance.

Recently I drove from Ukiah CA to Point Arena. The 50 miles of road between the two towns is a series of steep climbs and descents. Because I was concerned about my SOC—the Chargepoint station in Ukiah had malfunctioned—and I wanted to get back to SF without charging, I drove slowly 35-40mph, pulling over many times to let others pass. I was surprised to find that I had averaged 5.1 mi/kWh for that stretch. In contrast, when driving across the Nevada desert I often end up with 2 kWh for the sections where I drive 90+ mph.
The lifetime average of my car is 3.6 for 15,500 mi. The majority of my driving is around town and on the highway driving at speeds of 70-80mph.

Recently I drove from Ukiah CA to Point Arena. The 50 miles of road between the two towns is a series of steep climbs and descents. Because I was concerned about my SOC—the Chargepoint station in Ukiah had malfunctioned—and I wanted to get back to SF without charging, I drove slowly 35-40mph, pulling over many times to let others pass. I was surprised to find that I had averaged 5.1 mi/kWh for that stretch. In contrast, when driving across the Nevada desert I often end up with 2 kWh for the sections where I drive 90+ mph.
The lifetime average of my car is 3.6 for 15,500 mi. The majority of my driving is around town and on the highway driving at speeds of 70-80mph.
I think it's important to remember that the faster you go, your CD is squared. Also deserts are notorious for windy conditions which also increase drag.

How? Just how? I have never even come close to 4.0 for a full charge and I drive in smooth mode all the time!
Me too. The best I've hit on any drive of substance is 3.7 with most trips around 3.4-3.5 on 19" tires. However, I do have a heavy foot.

What car do you have? Dream or AGT?
Those are ridiculous numbers, what's your average speed? Bravo!

You can get to 5.8 mi/kWh too.
FCDBD5E0-935A-4F8D-9D18-D732338B8641.jpeg

Secret sauce. 🥳

How fast is your average speed? Are you driving on flat roads mostly? What temperature are you driving in?
I’m driving 55-65 mph on highways, and probably averaging in the 40s in the city. A couple of hills here and there, but mostly flat; and temp is SoCal so not extremes.

I’m driving 55-65 mph on highways, and probably averaging in the 40s in the city. A couple of hills here and there, but mostly flat; and temp is SoCal so not extremes.

You are the perfect driver to reach this car’s range on 19”. I get too pedal happy. 😃

Back