Gravity Testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least with Tesla you can work around the CarPlay issue using the Carlinkit solution. Bought one for my Model S and it surprisingly works quite well. Rivian doesn't have a browser, so it’s not possible. If Rivian adds a browser and allows a persistent connection to a phone's hotspot, then it's possible to get something like the Carlinkit to work with them as well.
Ah! Browser is super useful! Although Polestar 2 doesn’t have Fart app, Disney+ and Netflix, I was able to download an Android browser from Google Store to access to Disney+ and some online game server.

At least with Tesla you can work around the CarPlay issue using the Carlinkit solution. Bought one for my Model S and it surprisingly works quite well. Rivian doesn't have a browser, so its not possible. If Rivian adds a browser and allows a persistent connection to a phone's hotspot, then it's possible to get something like the Carlinkit to work with them as well.
Wait, how? I thought carlinkit required wired CarPlay?

Wait, how? I thought carlinkit required wired CarPlay?
There are TWO different solutions. The one mentioned on this forum which allows you to side load Android apps but use a wired CP solution - this works on the Lucid wired to the vehicle. The other is the Carlinkit T2C Amazon Link ... the T2C unit allows wireless CP to the T2C unit. The CP UI is displayed by a custom web page presented by the T2C unit and accessed via the browser. It works quite well and I have used Waze as well as audio apps.

There are TWO different solutions. The one mentioned on this forum which allows you to side load Android apps but use a wired CP solution - this works on the Lucid wired to the vehicle. The other is the Carlinkit T2C Amazon Link ... the T2C unit allows wireless CP to the T2C unit. The CP UI is displayed by a custom web page presented by the T2C unit and accessed via the browser. It works quite well and I have used Waze as well as audio apps.
I also use the Carlinkit T2C and does work extremely well for wireless CarPlay on my Tesla.

No way!---it's tres cool, and they'll sell tons of them!

The pt cruiser remake was the same. It was so popular there was a markup and wait-list. Everyone had them, to the point it became uncool. I feel like Ford tried to do this with the thunderbird shortly after and it flopped.

This van is def cool. I like the color.

Ford can tow more, however Ford loses in range test vs Rivian in Tom Maloughney’s test. People who prefer Ford Lightning for these reasons….

- easier to obtain than Rivian
- easy access frunk
- longer truck bed to haul
- more traditional masculine look
- reliable truck name
- Apple CarPlay
- bi-directional charging

Speaking of CarPlay, now Tesla and Rivian are the only EV brands don’t support CarPlay.
What is the range and price of a Ford lightning comparable to R1T?

Price is slightly cheaper, range is something like 230 or 350ish with extended range battery pack. Pretty sure ford uses the “less efficient“ epa test though so real world will likely be higher.

Ford F150 Lightning is 52k ~ 97k depends on trim. And of course, dealer is still marking them up above MSRP. Range is 230 miles to 320 miles.

Rivian R1T is 73k ~ 94k depends on online configurator. Range is 270 miles to 400 miles. But the wait is about 1~2.5 years for truck, 3~4.5 years for SUV.

Ford F150 Lightning is 52k ~ 97k depends on trim. And of course, dealer is still marking them up above MSRP. Range is 230 miles to 320 miles.

Rivian R1T is 73k ~ 94k depends on online configurator. Range is 270 miles to 400 miles. But the wait is about 1~2.5 years for truck, 3~4.5 years for SUV.
How long is wait for Ford?

I actually like how the R1S open its frunk than Lightning. Rivian has kneel mode can auto lower height when car enters park mode. It also has 2 layer magnetic divider which works in deep frunk like Air, and it has drain valve to hold ice or liquid in frunk in case something cracked opened or spilled.

The rear design from pictures look like magnified Air’s back and some crossover language. I’m not liking its back, but I do love the front. Need to see more angles and side profile.
I agree, when I first saw the rear view it reminded me of an Infiniti FX that my wife owned years ago. It’s starting to grow on me, but it does have sort of a crossover look to it.

We've had great experiences with owning Hondas over the years, both personally and in the extended family. My big disappointment in them, however, has been their reluctance to embrace electric drivetrains.

My dream people hauler has for some years been a Honda Odyssey passenger cabin sitting atop an EV drivetrain. With the sure-footed handling it already has for a vehicle in that size class, the lowering of its center of gravity and the added acceleration grunt an EV drivetrain would send its driving dynamics through the roof. And the few inches raising it to slip a battery skateboard underneath would still leave it lower than most full-size SUVs.

During the four years I was sitting on my Rivian R1S reservation as a potential replacement for the Odyssey, I kept hoping for a signal that Honda might explore using a Rivian skateboard, as the wheelbases were only 3" different.

No such luck. Then I began seeing videos of adults sitting in the third row of the R1S and knew I would be waiting for a while longer to replace the Odyssey with an EV.

Lucid . . . you're up. Please don't disappoint us.
I saw an EV called Canoo a while back. And it looked awesome. But I haven't kept up with it.

I saw an EV called Canoo a while back. And it looked awesome. But I haven't kept up with it.
Yeah, I thought the Canoo looked promising, too. Last I heard, though, they had run into financial and other launch troubles.

Yeah, I thought the Canoo looked promising, too. Last I heard, though, they had run into financial and other launch troubles.
Have a friend who worked at Canoo. He doesn’t speak fondly of his time there.

But take that with a grain of salt. Disgruntled employees often make for terrible witnesses.

So initial price would be about $120K then maybe about $98K a year later?

As someone who needs a vehicle that can accommodate six adults who are getting on in years, I have done a lot of test driving large SUVs over the past few years. Both of my purchase decisions landed me on Honda Odyssey minivans (a 2011 and a 2018).

I'm afraid that if Lucid makes too many Gravity design decisions for the sake of style and sleekness, the Gravity will fall out of contention to replace our Odyssey next year, just as the Rivian R1S I had on reservation for almost four years did once it's cramped third row emerged into daylight.

The Tesla Model X is a complete joke as a 6- or 7-seater vehicle for adults. I fervently hope Lucid gives us a luxurious cabin comfortable for 6 adults on a long day trip, and I'll gladly do with a bit less exterior panache to get it.

I love your comment! Because this is exactly where I am. The best vehicle I ever owned for transporting up to eight individuals, half of them elderly, a small dog, and all our junk, was my last ICE vehicle, a 2016 Honda Odyssey.

My mum’s Model X for carrying six people? A joke, like you said. Those two seats all the way in the third row are the perfect penalty box for two of your least favourite aunties who’ve invited themselves on a road trip to Zion NP. But don’t get me started.

Like you, I hope that whatever Lucid does with the Gravity, they design it around the easy entry and exit, and cossetted conveyance, of six to eight elderly people, and their stuff.

I love your comment! Because this is exactly where I am. The best vehicle I ever owned for transporting up to eight individuals, half of them elderly, a small dog, and all our junk, was my last ICE vehicle, a 2016 Honda Odyssey.

My mum’s Model X for carrying six people? A joke, like you said. Those two seats all the way in the third row are the perfect penalty box for two of your least favourite aunties who’ve invited themselves on a road trip to Zion NP. But don’t get me started.

Like you, I hope that whatever Lucid does with the Gravity, they design it around the easy entry and exit, and cossetted conveyance, of six to eight elderly people, and their stuff.

I agree but the best vehicle I ever owned for transporting large families was a Mazda MPV. Sort of the non minivan minivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back