Gravity Testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had great experiences with owning Hondas over the years, both personally and in the extended family. My big disappointment in them, however, has been their reluctance to embrace electric drivetrains.

My dream people hauler has for some years been a Honda Odyssey passenger cabin sitting atop an EV drivetrain. With the sure-footed handling it already has for a vehicle in that size class, the lowering of its center of gravity and the added acceleration grunt an EV drivetrain would send its driving dynamics through the roof. And the few inches raising it to slip a battery skateboard underneath would still leave it lower than most full-size SUVs.

During the four years I was sitting on my Rivian R1S reservation as a potential replacement for the Odyssey, I kept hoping for a signal that Honda might explore using a Rivian skateboard, as the wheelbases were only 3" different.

No such luck. Then I began seeing videos of adults sitting in the third row of the R1S and knew I would be waiting for a while longer to replace the Odyssey with an EV.

Lucid . . . you're up. Please don't disappoint us.

We've had great experiences with owning Hondas over the years, both personally and in the extended family. My big disappointment in them, however, has been their reluctance to embrace electric drivetrains.

My dream people hauler has for some years been a Honda Odyssey passenger cabin sitting atop an EV drivetrain. With the sure-footed handling it already has for a vehicle in that size class, the lowering of its center of gravity and the added acceleration grunt an EV drivetrain would send its driving dynamics through the roof. And the few inches raising it to slip a battery skateboard underneath would still leave it lower than most full-size SUVs.

During the four years I was sitting on my Rivian R1S reservation as a potential replacement for the Odyssey, I kept hoping for a signal that Honda might explore using a Rivian skateboard, as the wheelbases were only 3" different.

No such luck. Then I began seeing videos of adults sitting in the third row of the R1S and knew I would be waiting for a while longer to replace the Odyssey with an EV.

Didnt eric bach I believe say the gravity has a adult third row?

Didnt eric bach I believe say the gravity has a adult third row?
Yes, but everyone with a 3rd row claims that, even the Model Y 7 seater 🤣

Yes, but everyone with a 3rd row claims that, even the Model Y 7 seater 🤣
In this case though, the gravitys headrest location backs this up. And dont even try sitting in model y third row unless you have no legs, and even then it might be a stretch.

F769C954-C0B7-4756-A6BE-65ED16D8731B.jpeg
5DEB505C-8474-4961-B765-B11DB03C7321.jpeg
812B101F-4210-495E-8C0F-2FB0176E02A8.jpeg

Or you can wait to 2025 get VW ID Buzz

Even if the 3rd row in Gravity is comfortable for adults, will there be much cargo room behind the 3rd seat?

100 Mile range with towing probably.
1.2 mi/kWh * 135kWh = 162 miles range on gentle accelerator of 55 mph is what I saw on YouTube reviewers. 😃

Even if the 3rd row in Gravity is comfortable for adults, will there be much cargo room behind the 3rd seat?

It depends on how clever they get with interior packaging. When the third row seats are in use, our Odyssey has a shallow but tall cargo area where a good bit of luggage can be stuffed. Assuming the Gravity ends up 3" longer than the Air (a figure that has been bandied about), the cabin could have as much longitudinal stretch as the Odyssey if the front seats are pushed a bit more forward on the chassis, which the drivetrain should allow. And, of course, the Gravity will also have a frunk, which the Odyssey doesn't.

No way!---it's [the ID.Buzz} tres cool, and they'll sell tons of them!

One of the fondest memories of my early adulthood is a summer of tooling around Europe with a bunch of fellow grad students in a VW bus. Despite miserable acceleration and iffy brakes, we were immortal at that age, and the thing was an absolute blast. We marveled at who and what we could cram into it. And they were all over the place in Europe in all their iterations: passenger conveyances, delivery vans, even pickups with open cargo boxes.

I think the ID.Buzz is another cult icon in the making.

It depends on how clever they get with interior packaging. When the third row seats are in use, our Odyssey has a shallow but tall cargo area where a good bit of luggage can be stuffed. Assuming the Gravity ends up 3" longer than the Air (a figure that has been bandied about), the cabin could have as much longitudinal stretch as the Odyssey if the front seats are pushed a bit more forward on the chassis, which the drivetrain should allow. And, of course, the Gravity will also have a frunk, which the Odyssey doesn't.
1682626157845.png

20-30 cubic feet not including frunk maybe, considering it will have the air's deeper compartment. Including frunk 35-40 which is trippable.

1.2 mi/kWh * 135kWh = 162 miles range on gentle accelerator of 55 mph is what I saw on YouTube reviewers. 😃
Basically 100% to 20% is 130 miles one way. I wonder how much Ford Lightning can tow.

Basically 100% to 20% is 130 miles one way. I wonder how much Ford Lightning can tow.
Ford can tow more, however Ford loses in range test vs Rivian in Tom Maloughney’s test. People who prefer Ford Lightning for these reasons….

- easier to obtain than Rivian
- easy access frunk
- longer truck bed to haul
- more traditional masculine look
- reliable truck name
- Apple CarPlay
- bi-directional charging

Speaking of CarPlay, now Tesla and Rivian are the only EV brands don’t support CarPlay.

Ford can tow more, however Ford loses in range test vs Rivian in Tom Maloughney’s test. People who prefer Ford Lightning for these reasons….

- easier to obtain than Rivian
- easy access frunk
- longer truck bed to haul
- more traditional masculine look
- reliable truck name
- Apple CarPlay
- bi-directional charging

Speaking of CarPlay, now Tesla and Rivian are the only EV brands don’t support CarPlay.
At least with Tesla you can work around the CarPlay issue using the Carlinkit solution. Bought one for my Model S and it surprisingly works quite well. Rivian doesn't have a browser, so its not possible. If Rivian adds a browser and allows a persistent connection to a phone's hotspot, then it's possible to get something like the Carlinkit to work with them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back