First road-trip

Bbq9

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Just completed my first ev road-trip
Bay Area to Scottsdale via Palm Springs for breakfast

750 miles without issue … All chargers were great except for one at buckeye where three of four were not working. Only the 350 working. Peaked at 296kwh !!
Average 3.1m/kWh
Average speed was 72-85
Temperature range was 48-96 !!!

EDIT - I should have mentioned 21” wheels :). And active use of cruise control

F201055E-8A00-433E-BD8B-0295DFF2A9D7.jpeg

Last edited:

750 miles without issue … All chargers were great except for one at buckeye where three of four were not working. Only the 350 working. Peaked at 296kwh !!
Average 3.1m/kWh
Average speed was 72-85

View attachment 1497
So the question is are you happy with how the car performed? Efficiency/comfort/ etc.

Average 3.1m/kWh
Average speed was 72-85

View attachment 1497
You took a 750 mile road trip for breakfast!!??? 😃. Nice, thanks for sharing!

Average 3.1m/kWh
Average speed was 72-85

View attachment 1497

Can you clarify “not working”? Did you plug in and it wouldn’t charge? Did you try to start charging from the Lucid app? Or were they just down for real?

Driving 750 miles for breakfast sounds like something we would do here in Texas to try out a new eatery….

Average 3.1m/kWh
Average speed was 72-85

View attachment 1497

Thank you so very much! This is the type of information I need...how efficient is the Lucid at realistic highway speeds. The answer...very.

Thank you so very much! This is the type of information I need...how efficient is the Lucid at realistic highway speeds. The answer...very.
So charging between 20-80% at 3.1 miles /kw means you are charging around every 200 miles

So charging between 20-80% at 3.1 miles /kw means you are charging around every 200 miles
Except for the first leg, which could be 100%-20% or about 270 miles. Once we get used to road tripping the car, we usually aim to roll into a charging station at around 15% SOC.

I’d agree that it
Except for the first leg, which could be 100%-20% or about 270 miles. Once we get used to road tripping the car, we usually aim to roll into a charging station at around 15% SOC.
I agree would take comfort with how the car is performing with the battery. Once the EA stations are closer than the current 100 miles on the freeway routs, then one can drop it sown a little on the SOC when stopping for electrons.

In general I was chargoing every 220-240 - eg I found myself charging around 13-16% (more than I wanted bearing in mind it was my first roadtrip) and yes I tended to go to 80-85%

I made a foolish mistake - I had used ABRP to get a view of where I wanted to stop to charge.
It suggested Indio - about 30 miles east of palm springs - but I decided ”Hey I am having breakfast in Palm Springs, I’ve got 30+ SOC but lets charge here while we eat”

of course this meant I then NEEDED to charge west of Phoenix - at Buckeye. Where ABRP planner had me arriving without a third stop with a destination arrival SOC of 12% or so.

Rookie mistake.

Can you clarify “not working”? Did you plug in and it wouldn’t charge? Did you try to start charging from the Lucid app? Or were they just down for real?

ONE I tried … failed / timed out negotiating with the car. Probably tried this about 5 times.
TWO Showed OUT OF SERVICE on the screen so didn’t even try

The fourth was the 350 and so when that person left I was “in like Flint” (for those old enough)

I didn’t get as far as calling - but if the other person hadn’t left that was next on my list (I was down to 15% at this point and didn’t want to go hunting for chargers)

In general I was chargoing every 220-240 - eg I found myself charging around 13-16% (more than I wanted bearing in mind it was my first roadtrip) and yes I tended to go to 80-85%

I made a foolish mistake - I had used ABRP to get a view of where I wanted to stop to charge.
It suggested Indio - about 30 miles east of palm springs - but I decided ”Hey I am having breakfast in Palm Springs, I’ve got 30+ SOC but lets charge here while we eat”

of course this meant I then NEEDED to charge west of Phoenix - at Buckeye. Where ABRP planner had me arriving without a third stop with a destination arrival SOC of 12% or so.

Rookie mistake.
I would have charged while I ate too. No sense letting the car just sit there And you still would have needed to make that charging stop. By charging while you ate, you could make that charging stop just a 10’ bathroom break rather then a full session.

So the question is are you happy with how the car performed? Efficiency/comfort/ etc.

^^^ THIS Was key for me.

My family have a slightly different view :)
But the car was BRILLIANT
the adaptive cruise control was fantastic… and to be honest kept me slower n steady. The couple of times I overrode the ACC to clear traffic were so tempting but I knew it would eat my range.

my son is now 5’7” and he was not impressed with being woken at midnight to get in the car and drive for 8 hours to Palm Springs. My daughter is a littler shorter and she just lay down on the floor and slept. All three passengers got some sleep

I came away with ONE ASK (For the roadtrip)
- A Better Route Planner is great. And the car Nav is OK (But the search for charging sucks) - so I found myself using ABRP, finding the stop I wanted, then looking adding to the car NAV, and then as I got closer going on the Electriy America app to check they have capacity. IMHO, for the roadtrip - these three functions need to be better integrated.

We did learn if you lock the car with the Froot or Boot open (frunk / trunk for those fluent in American) then when you unlock the car, the button, app, and dashboard can’t close them. You have to manually close them, then all good.

^^^ THIS Was key for me.

My family have a slightly different view :)
But the car was BRILLIANT
the adaptive cruise control was fantastic… and to be honest kept me slower n steady. The couple of times I overrode the ACC to clear traffic were so tempting but I knew it would eat my range.

my son is now 5’7” and he was not impressed with being woken at midnight to get in the car and drive for 8 hours to Palm Springs. My daughter is a littler shorter and she just lay down on the floor and slept. All three passengers got some sleep

I came away with ONE ASK (For the roadtrip)
- A Better Route Planner is great. And the car Nav is OK (But the search for charging sucks) - so I found myself using ABRP, finding the stop I wanted, then looking adding to the car NAV, and then as I got closer going on the Electriy America app to check they have capacity. IMHO, for the roadtrip - these three functions need to be better integrated.

We did learn if you lock the car with the Froot or Boot open (frunk / trunk for those fluent in American) then when you unlock the car, the button, app, and dashboard can’t close them. You have to manually close them, then all good.

Having either open also prevents the car from going to sleep, I’ve learned.

How low did the efficiency drop climbing up to the Ciraco Summit?

To be honest, it was nothing like the journey into LA on i5 - which I think hits 4000’ !!
I want to say that for a lot of that leg my average was 2.7-2.8

the Los Altos to Palm Springs looks like this
65A0276D-39F0-4F43-9CFD-01B1733B1310.jpeg

Whereas the Palm Springs to Scottsdale leg was
FBFB6067-8257-4A1C-B80C-4E6F2DDCDDAE.jpeg

I was pleased
every 4 hours for a charge was about perfect. I tended to charge for about 35-50mins - but as above I made a rookie mistake and charged at the wrong point.

As you can imagine, leaving at midnight the Bay Area to Palm Springs was full headlights (did have AC climate control - but like airlines I turned it up for the back to put the passengers to sleep)

Whereas the Palm Springs to Scottsdale was FULL AC :)

I think this could have been MORE EFFICIENT in different weather

In the end of my three stops … two were 13-15%

the first by design - I had tagged two places to stop, and the first would have been at near 25% - by this time I had had a few hours of doing the calculations in my head of efficiency and felt comfortable to go to the next one (ABRP said I could do it too)

Back