Some suggestions from my first road trip regarding highway assist

pyle112

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid touring
Some hopefully constructive thoughts from my first 300+ road trip in my touring:

1) settings for dream drive for recognizing hands on wheel are way too sensitive- kept a had on the wheel for most of the trip and it yelled at my consistently on the straights

2) the cruise control needs to be a bit more responsive, single mph adjustments were sometimes ignored, frustratingly

3) on the topic of cruise settings, a recommendation: on single clicks, mph should move in 5 mph increments and a long twist should move in single increments. Bigger mph moves are more common than fine adjustment. This would also prevent frustration with point (2) especially when fine adjustment is desired and the UX is unresponsive and repeated attempts might trigger a "long twist" and an unsafe mph move

4) an audible warning that auto steer is not engaged. The auto steer would surprise me by disengaging resulting in me unsafely applying steering correction at high speeds.

5) I have to check, but I think in other vehicles when pressing the accelerator auto steer remains engaged. HA steering seems to disengage.

Some hopefully constructive thoughts from my first 300+ road trip in my touring:

1) settings for dream drive for recognizing hands on wheel are way too sensitive- kept a had on the wheel for most of the trip and it yelled at my consistently on the straights

2) the cruise control needs to be a bit more responsive, single mph adjustments were sometimes ignored, frustratingly

3) on the topic of cruise settings, a recommendation: on single clicks, mph should move in 5 mph increments and a long twist should move in single increments. Bigger mph moves are more common than fine adjustment. This would also prevent frustration with point (2) especially when fine adjustment is desired and the UX is unresponsive and repeated attempts might trigger a "long twist" and an unsafe mph move

4) an audible warning that auto steer is not engaged. The auto steer would surprise me by disengaging resulting in me unsafely applying steering correction at high speeds.

5) I have to check, but I think in other vehicles when pressing the accelerator auto steer remains engaged. HA steering seems to disengage.
1) it's torque based not capacitive, if you jiggle it every 10 seconds or so, it doesn't ding at you
2) seems to work perfectly fine, though I agree a user-selected adjustment increment would be nice, though I'd probably keep it at 1 mph since I've gotten used to it. Scroll and hold will do 5 mph increments
4) there is a visual disengagement alert, i.e. the steering wheel goes from beige to grey. I personally don't see this as an issue as I don't take my hands off the wheel, especially on curves.
5) HA auto-steer stays engaged when pressing on the accelerator so not sure what you are referring to here

Just adding my experiences:
1) it's torque based not capacitive, if you jiggle it every 10 seconds or so, it doesn't ding at you
Or perfect the dangle. If you keep the right amount of arm weight dangling from the wheel it also won't ding. Doesn't take any conscious thought once you get used to it.
4) there is a visual disengagement alert, i.e. the steering wheel goes from beige to grey. I personally don't see this as an issue as I don't take my hands off the wheel, especially on curves.
I'm not saying this is going to make me drive off the road, I also have my hands on the wheel. But the lack of notice has surprised me somewhat regularly. A nice little ding would be appreciated when (dis)engaging automatically.
5) HA auto-steer stays engaged when pressing on the accelerator so not sure what you are referring to here
It doesn't automatically disengage, but it does seem a bit more likely to lose track of the lanes and disengage when I do this. Also note, @pyle112, both ACC and HA will only work up to 90mph. If you push it above 90 while passing they will disengage.

Back