First EV? Kind of surprising

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
I've been surprised at the number of people who mentioned that the Air will be the first EV they've owned. We all have different resources available but I would've thought that most would people would dip their toe in the water with a Tesla, E-tron, etc.

There are a lot of Tesla owners moving over. I have never justified making such a large purchase but the Air is just so nice (also I'm 25 so I'm not too far into car buying life).

There are a lot of Tesla owners moving over. I have never justified making such a large purchase but the Air is just so nice (also I'm 25 so I'm not too far into car buying life).
I'm one of them. Tesla has great engineering but poor product definition (noisy, harsh, no typical driver aids like 360-degree cameras). I'm looking forward to a car that was conceived from viewpoint closer to my own.

I'm one of them. Tesla has great engineering but poor product definition (noisy, harsh, no typical driver aids like 360-degree cameras). I'm looking forward to a car that was conceived from viewpoint closer to my own.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of difference the addition of radar and lidar make for autonomous purposes vs Tesla's cameras only.

I never owned an EV, I wanted a Tesla but I am also a huge CarPlay user and that held me back. I've been waiting for a Tesla level car to support CarPlay and that is why I finally going EV. Sounds crazy but I can't drive without CarPlay.

I am new to EVs. The Lucid drew me in because of its scarcity. I love my Jag XF Sport....only seen few of them around, unlike the thousands of BMW 5s, MB E's and Audi 6s. But I was ready to get a new car...a nicer car....wanted an EV ....Teslas are everywhere. LUCID IT IS!!!!

I've driven an EV since getting the Roadster in 2008, but I've avoided any other EVs until now because I'm not a fan of the larger Tesla interiors and I haven't been a fan of other EVs' range and charging infrastructure. I don't buy cars that often (typically replace after 10 years) and I probably would have bought an eTron if our Lexus RX was up for replacement, but the Air is right in the sweet spot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of difference the addition of radar and lidar make for autonomous purposes vs Tesla's cameras only.
My guess is that Lidar is the better approach in the short term. Ten years from now, maybe cameras and AI alone will be enough. I don't think it is enough currently.

I never owned an EV, I wanted a Tesla but I am also a huge CarPlay user and that held me back. I've been waiting for a Tesla level car to support CarPlay and that is why I finally going EV. Sounds crazy but I can't drive without CarPlay.
And Elon says there will never be CarPlay, nor Android Auto.

New to EVs here, mostly because no car really scratched the itch I had for a saloon/wagon that goes like stink and can actually handle too. I’d been set on an E-class AMG but the lucid strikes me as the closest thing to that kind of barnstormer yet.

It will be my first EV. I held off because I did not want a Tesla (too common) and I was waiting for decent range. I saw a commercial on TV, liked what I saw and put down a deposit. We will see how it goes. I wanted something different.

I've avoided any other EVs until now because I'm not a fan of the larger Tesla interiors and I haven't been a fan of other EVs' range
ditto for me. Not a fan of the Tesla interior, comfort, lack of buttons and controls, and really dislike the huge tablet. We have a Leaf for local errands, but it doesn’t have the range and charges slowly. Been on the sidelines for an EV that would have 500 miles / 1000 km of range before replacing our gas car. Lucid finally checked all the boxes.

I've driven an EV since getting the Roadster in 2008, but I've avoided any other EVs until now because I'm not a fan of the larger Tesla interiors and I haven't been a fan of other EVs' range and charging infrastructure. I don't buy cars that often (typically replace after 10 years) and I probably would have bought an eTron if our Lexus RX was up for replacement, but the Air is right in the sweet spot.
We sold our RX hybrid and replaced it with a Volvo XC40 P8 EV. A great little handy-sized SUV, feels very roomy, comfortable and quiet, has all the driver aids, and 4.5 seconds 0-60. We've been all-EV for 9 months. I'll be selling my Model 3 when the Air GT arrives, or it could be the Polestar 3 or 4 if for some reason I decide against taking it.

New to EVs here, mostly because no car really scratched the itch I had for a saloon/wagon that goes like stink and can actually handle too. I’d been set on an E-class AMG but the lucid strikes me as the closest thing to that kind of barnstormer yet.
Yeah I was set on the AMG E63 wagon too, but Lucid has about the same cubic foot storage, and is FASTER, and cures range anxiety and charging speed anxiety. So for me anything else is gravy. And I also think it looks better than any other EV. Plus I’m a huge formula 1 fan so the whole “our Aero was done by the Red Bull aero guy” and “our battery tech is based on our formula E tech” won me over.

Yeah I was set on the AMG E63 wagon too, but Lucid has about the same cubic foot storage, and is FASTER, and cures range anxiety and charging speed anxiety. So for me anything else is gravy. And I also think it looks better than any other EV. Plus I’m a huge formula 1 fan so the whole “our Aero was done by the Red Bull aero guy” and “our battery tech is based on our formula E tech” won me over.
This is my first EV too. For me, their drivetrain and handling is a masterpiece in engineering - among the best (if not the best). Everything else is gravy (for me). But, I will bitch about their lock/unlock if they haven't improved it by the time I get my GT.

Forgot to add: the direct-sale, no dealership model also. I would have never even considered Lucid if they had gone down the dealership path - I would have defaulted to a Tesla in that case.

Last edited:
I have wanted an EV for a long time. I never considered a Tesla. I don’t like their philosophy. I do like Lucid’s philosophy. Lucid has a small window to be great. The legacy manufacturers are closing fast and they will have physical buttons for mirrors and homelink and the car will unlock as expected every time and have 10-20 customizable settings just for unlock.

Depends upon your definition. I have been driving a BMW 530e (PHEV) since December 2017. Like it but would prefer more electric range and more power (Tim the Toolman Taylor).

new to EV myself. I was really considering a Tesla as my next until I ran into /r/RealTesla. i know Tesla has a huge fan following but didn't expect to see what i saw in that subreddit. So i decided to wait for other manufacturers to catch up in tech. I have heard of Lucid before but never really paid any attention (living in bay area i thought it's another startup that's gonna die in few years).

i read about their IPO and how their evaluation spiked on opening day (or was it Rivian?) but again didn't really pay any attention. i came across the car of the year announcement and that was the first time i actually decided to look up Lucid and the car.

i'm currently driving a car that i bought in 2008 with no bluetooth or rearview camera so i'm hoping to experience a massive upgrade. Getting Lucid as a treat to myself :)

i'm currently driving a car that i bought in 2008 with no bluetooth or rearview camera so i'm hoping to experience a massive upgrade. Getting Lucid as a treat to myself :)
Curious... what car was that?

Back