FIrst Drive On Icy and Snowy Roads

DJL

Verified Owner
As I watched the first snow fall this morning, I started to lick my lips in anticipation of being able to try out my Lucid on icey and snowy road conditions. The wind was blowing such that it was announced in a NOAA warning that the wind chill was minus 10! Whoa, up here in the Pacific Northwest, next to the Salish Sea, we are not used to such cold conditions. Yes, we usually get snow a couple of times a year, which can last a few days, but temperatures usually only dip into the 20s and only for a short time.

By this afternoon, I had shoveled the snow off our driveway but the roads in our community were covered. I started slowly out, trying to get the feel of the tires as they worked through the snow and over the patches of ice. I must say, I was impressed in my control of the car, even with just 19-inch wheels and only all-weather tires. I had no trouble going up some steep grades but I must admit, I kept the tires in the snow pile that marked the center of the road. I did slip a little bit when goosing the e-pedal to see how much power I could give it before spinning the wheels but the car’s computer detected it and rebalance the power almost instantly. I released the pedal as soon as I felt the response so I do not know what would have happened if I just kept giving it the power.

I did slip a little bit once going around a curve at 45 mph on ice but resumed full control just by backing off of the e-pedal. Traction was pretty impressive overall.

Now, I did not try to push the car to define the various responses to all of the conditions that the road, ice and snow presented simply because the presence of other cars on the road. Nevertheless, I feel that I have gotten a nice introduction to how I should drive this car in these hazardous conditions. In a nutshell, I am very impressed and will not cringe the next time I need to drive on snowy and icy roads.

I would love to hear from other Lucid owners regarding their experiences in snow and over ice.

I am very impressed and will not cringe the next time I need to drive on snowy and icy roads.
I’ll cringe if I ever have to put chains on the wheels.

I took the car on an iced bridge last week after our first snow. The car did so well that I got far less nervous and was able to trust the vehicle much quicker than I expected. I doubt this car would ever spin from oversteer based on the weight/rear balance, but I played around with smooth and swift mode and definitely recommend swift which is less prone to understeer, and also low regen, as I felt like high regen could trigger slippage a little more than low regen, but I may have imagined it. I was very relieved by how good the car is in bad conditions overall.

Yes, the vehicle is stellar in snowy conditions. The traction control is outstanding!! The only possible negative is the car pushes through deeper snow fairly seamlessly , in my experience anyway.

Yes, the vehicle is stellar in snowy conditions. The traction control is outstanding!! The only possible negative is the car pushes through deeper snow fairly seamlessly , in my experience anyway.
Thanx for sharing. However, I am not sure what you mean when you say that it is a negative that the car pushes through deeper snow seamlessly. Could you explain. Thanks.

As I watched the first snow fall this morning, I started to lick my lips in anticipation of being able to try out my Lucid on icey and snowy road conditions. The wind was blowing such that it was announced in a NOAA warning that the wind chill was minus 10! Whoa, up here in the Pacific Northwest, next to the Salish Sea, we are not used to such cold conditions. Yes, we usually get snow a couple of times a year, which can last a few days, but temperatures usually only dip into the 20s and only for a short time.

By this afternoon, I had shoveled the snow off our driveway but the roads in our community were covered. I started slowly out, trying to get the feel of the tires as they worked through the snow and over the patches of ice. I must say, I was impressed in my control of the car, even with just 19-inch wheels and only all-weather tires. I had no trouble going up some steep grades but I must admit, I kept the tires in the snow pile that marked the center of the road. I did slip a little bit when goosing the e-pedal to see how much power I could give it before spinning the wheels but the car’s computer detected it and rebalance the power almost instantly. I released the pedal as soon as I felt the response so I do not know what would have happened if I just kept giving it the power.

I did slip a little bit once going around a curve at 45 mph on ice but resumed full control just by backing off of the e-pedal. Traction was pretty impressive overall.

Now, I did not try to push the car to define the various responses to all of the conditions that the road, ice and snow presented simply because the presence of other cars on the road. Nevertheless, I feel that I have gotten a nice introduction to how I should drive this car in these hazardous conditions. In a nutshell, I am very impressed and will not cringe the next time I need to drive on snowy and icy roads.

I would love to hear from other Lucid owners regarding their experiences in snow and over ice.
As another snow country driver this is really good to hear (tho I expect to default to BMW X5 in bad conditions). I've ordered 20" wheels which will com with a tire that doesnt' love cold/snow...hope new tire option come later

Thanx for sharing. However, I am not sure what you mean when you say that it is a negative that the car pushes through deeper snow seamlessly. Could you explain. Thanks.

Sorry about that. It should have said the only possible negative is the low clearance BUT the car pushes through deeper snow seamlessly.😁😁😁😁

Vacation and wine brain.

@DJL I am also in the Pacific NW and experienced the same snowy weather system. I have winter tires on though, 19", as my 21s had summer tires which would never have worked in this weather. I took it out today and noted that overall experience was excellent! Actually less slipping than my Tesla Model X with Nokian winter tires. My only concern is the ground clearance as I heard some possible scraping when I went over speedbumps in a plaza parking lot that had lots of ice/packed snow. The other thing I noted was that in negative temps (-5 degree C here) range took a massive hit! For 10 (ten, things in Vancouver are close together) kms driven 30km of range came off. And "vampire" drain in cold is significant. 1.5h in the plaza parking lot, with the car asleep (i.e. climate control not going) and locked, 2kwh was drained from the pack.

• Wow
Reactions: DJL
.... not really a cold weather car anyway.
When I look at the front of the Lucid the first thing I see is every grill and slot packed with slush thrown up by cars in front of you.
that area where the headlights are: you won't see diddly squat
... those cooling scoops for the LEDs and brakes = packed with brown icy crud.

The cowl where the wipers stow will be packed with ice because defroster melting and gravity and wipers smacking it down.
Every camera and sensor covered in salty-gritty-icy brown scum. This is not a skiers vehicle.

going to use the boy's 328 x-drive with dedicated real snows ... putting them on after I finish coffee.

First reaction to driving in snow this morning: noticeably better than Model S ('12) or Model 3 ('18). I did not drive fast, but never felt like the car had lost control. Traction control engaged on uphill and during stopping very nicely.

.... not really a cold weather car anyway.
When I look at the front of the Lucid the first thing I see is every grill and slot packed with slush thrown up by cars in front of you.
that area where the headlights are: you won't see diddly squat
... those cooling scoops for the LEDs and brakes = packed with brown icy crud.

The cowl where the wipers stow will be packed with ice because defroster melting and gravity and wipers smacking it down.
Every camera and sensor covered in salty-gritty-icy brown scum. This is not a skiers vehicle.

going to use the boy's 328 x-drive with dedicated real snows ... putting them on after I finish coffee.
You know, what you wrote seems very logical and reasonable. However, I have driven my Lucid up and over the Rockies in icy fog, icy roads where salt and sand have been applied and, this week on roads covered in 15 inches of snow. Follow that up with more sand and salt. While the sides of the car can appear almost white from the salt (it is actually Zenith Red), the grill area and all of the sensors have stayed remarkably clean. Go figure! It sure surprises the heck out of me. Only had the clean the front cameras tucked within the grill twice with a Kleenex. Easy peasy. Also, the automatic heater on the wipers works great when they are frozen and covered with snow. Lucid sure got these thing right!

Attachments

• 20221221_100959.jpg
    20221221_100959.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 119
You know, what you wrote seems very logical and reasonable. However, I have driven my Lucid up and over the Rockies in icy fog, icy roads where salt and sand have been applied and, this week on roads covered in 15 inches of snow. Follow that up with more sand and salt. While the sides of the car can appear almost white from the salt (it is actually Zenith Red), the grill area and all of the sensors have stayed remarkably clean. Go figure! It sure surprises the heck out of me. Only had the clean the front cameras tucked within the grill twice with a Kleenex. Easy peasy. Also, the automatic heater on the wipers works great when they are frozen and covered with snow. Lucid sure got these thing right!
The lights and cameras, etc., also generate heat, so it’s possible they stay clear that way too.

Back