EPA driving range calculations

Slam08

Cars
2022 Jaguar I Pace
So I’ve noticed a lot of posts on this forum regarding range and many people are upset that the Air doesn’t meet its EPA numbers. I tried to do some digging and came across this article.

I suspect Lucid was also generous with their adjustments, like Tesla.

Some interesting things about the test that stick out to me are that they test it without wind resistance. And as a result downgrade the range by 30%.

I’m starting to think that other range tests like Edmunds or InsideEVs are much better. Sine they actually drive them more like real people.

I mean who does 18 second 0-60 accelerations and drives 55 miles on the highway like the EPA? That what it seems you have to do to get the listed range.

So I’ve noticed a lot of posts on this forum regarding range and many people are upset that the Air doesn’t meet its EPA numbers. I tried to do some digging and came across this article.

I suspect Lucid was also generous with their adjustments, like Tesla.

Some interesting things about the test that stick out to me are that they test it without wind resistance. And as a result downgrade the range by 30%.

I’m starting to think that other range tests like Edmunds or InsideEVs are much better. Sine they actually drive them more like real people.

I mean who does 18 second 0-60 accelerations and drives 55 miles on the highway like the EPA? That what it seems you have to do to get the listed range.

The range issues stop being issues after a few thousand miles, as reported by a lot of members here. Also, the insideEVs test pretty much confirmed a 500mi or so range in somewhat optimal conditions.

That range will not happen in summer of Texas because we crank that AC really hard. I just know Air is extremely energy efficient and no other EV come close bc Lucid was a battery company and they have more efficient electrical architecture ground up than other guys.

Last edited:
That range will not happen in summer of Texas because we crank that AC really hard. I just know Air is extremely energy efficient and other EV come close bc Lucid was a battery maker and they have more efficient electrical architecture ground up than other guys.
Sure, but that range loss with a cranked AC is true of *any* car, including ICE.

Sure, but that range loss with a cranked AC is true of *any* car, including ICE.

Understood. So combining driving in very hot summer weather, and driving in a spirited fashion, range does then become an important issue. If I have to drive my car like a Buick, I don't want that car.

Understood. So combining driving in very hot summer weather, and driving in a spirited fashion, range does then become an important issue. If I have to drive my car like a Buick, I don't want that car.

I would also add that while the same factors affect gas mileage in ICE cars, it seems that those very same factors - spirited driving, outside air temperature, a/c use, elevation changes, wind velocity and direction, etc, etc - have a more pronounced and more range depleting effect than they do in ICE vehicles.

Also, perhaps we don’t notice mileage loss as much in ICE vehicles because gas stations are plentiful, and stopping at one at any point in our journey does not penalise us trip duration-wise, as it does in an EV.

I would also add that while the same factors affect gas mileage in ICE cars, it seems that those very same factors - spirited driving, outside air temperature, a/c use, elevation changes, wind velocity and direction, etc, etc - have a more pronounced and more range depleting effect than they do in ICE vehicles.

Also, perhaps we don’t notice mileage loss as much in ICE vehicles because gas stations are plentiful, and stopping at one at any point in our journey does not penalise us trip duration-wise, as it does in an EV.
Exactly. If fast chargers were as plentiful as gas stations, it would not be an issue. But they are not.

For example, from my house to the best daily play golf course in greater Phoenix (Quintero) is a 40 mile trip. Add in 100+ temp, a higher elevation of about 700 feet, and spirited driving (almost the entire trip is on roads with a 65 mph speed limit) and one begins to think about range. This course is so remote that I always advise others going there to make sure they have a full tank of gas as there isn't even a gas station near there; the one place in greater Phoenix where range for an ICE becomes a concern.

Yes, 100%..I responded to your question on the glass roof thread on the drive to Payson...definitely had all of the above going.

Back