Enthusiast Canceling after the Launch event - in Depth Reasons/discrepancies noted

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last thing. I've been covering companies like Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc for about 20 years. I work super well with their PR departments and I know all of the top executives at those companies.

Lucid has by far been the most difficult company to work with. I tried super hard to work with them, I really did.

Flaming @rbbarry for his coverage was not my intention here, I thought he did alot to build interest in the brand, and not just shilling the stock, but truly as an enthusiast. My point was more that if you look at his thread in that screenshot, he clearly says 'I recieve 3 responses for maybe 100+ requests'. There are no other real Lucid blogs, but tons of Tesla and Rivian ones, so there is a place for one outside of this forum, so I don't understand why Lucid wouldn't nurture it a bit more, but I am not a blog writer, so who knows how these things work.

My point is, Lucid repeatedly demonstrates a lack of clarity on technical specifications & transparence (perhaps just website sloppiness), or moves the goalposts without notice without a clear 'hey we changed this notice, are you still ok with that', as per my earlier posts. For another EV startup example, see Rivian with their Tonneau cover issue on the R1T, once they made the decision they needed to change their promise to customers on the context/specs of the truck, they clearly communicated, asked customers if they want a delay or other option on their order. I suppose Lucid can argue they will divulge full Pure specification mid December when they start shipping Pures to customers, but that seems a bit pointless to not do it at the launch event.

It just comes down to precision, transparency about feature or spec changes really. No reason the 100% full specs aren't available online or known by sales at launch/start of production.

This is actually fake news. LoL. Autopilot with autosteer, yeah, your hand is on the wheel. Just hold the wheel and go limp, and the car does the rest. As long as there are lane markings, as most roads have, it handles driving itself with ease. As I said in an other reply, my model S drives me to and from work every day with very minimal input from me. It is incredible how much mental energy you don’t have to expend when the car is driving itself, especially in traffic.

Not gonna lie. It definitely frees me up to look at my phone to call somebody or shoot a text.
Totally agree with you. I use Tesla Autopilot with lane centering all the time in freeway driving in the past year of ownership. Love that feature and makes driving on trips much more enjoyable/relaxing too. I think it is crazy that it is not included with Lucid as standard, at the very least lane centering should be standard. BMW, Merceds, Ford and on and on all have this and if it is an upgrade it is minimal cost.

By not including all the features of DreamDrive Pro, even if some were locked down, they are also limiting the subscription model that Tesla currently has.

You're probably right. I don't particularly care but I am going to spend the $9,000k for DDPro particularly for the resale value down the line. Look at the value of the used Tesla's right now that have FSD already installed. If I get use out of it and enjoy it, that's gravy.
I was a sucker in purchasing FSD on my 2020 Model X and never got it and sold it for the Lucid. Sunk cost, since it was not something I could pass on to the next buyer.

Totally agree with you. I use Tesla Autopilot with lane centering all the time in freeway driving in the past year of ownership. Love that feature and makes driving on trips much more enjoyable/relaxing too.

Well, I hope you get to keep it. I paid $3,000 for the "enhanced" Autopilot feature in our 2015 Model S P90D. It worked reasonably well in optimal traffic conditions. But then Tesla began to decontent it. Originally you could use it on any road with clear lane markings, you could set the cruise speed to what you wanted, and you did not have to keep your hand on the wheel. But when Tesla started the slow roll-out of FSD, they wanted to make that option more appealing, so they pulled features from Enhanced Autopilot and migrated them over to FSD -- even on cars whose owners had paid for the features before FSD came along. Suddenly our Enhanced Autopilot was geo-fenced so that it would only work on certain roads. The local 6-lane semi-rural roadways on which we most often used Autopilot became off limits to the system. The adaptive cruise control could only be set to 5 mph above the posted speed limit, although prevailing traffic was usually 10 or more mph above that. And now we had to keep a hand on the wheel at all times, even on the wide-open freeways where the vestigial system still worked.

For simply cruising down an open road, the Autopilot on our 2021 Model S Plaid has fewer features and requires more attention than the system we originally had in our 2015 Model S. Of course, I guess we could pay $15,000 to upgrade to Full Self Driving (which isn't full self-driving but instead is an over-hyped Level 2+ ADAS).

It just comes down to precision, transparency about feature or spec changes really. No reason the 100% full specs aren't available online or known by sales at launch/start of production.
Lucid just sent out Pure specs for this first production run of them to Pure reservation holders. DDPro, Surreal sound AWD Fathom Blue with Mojave Purelux interior. So there’s the communication. And it was announced only two days after announcing Pure production!

In auto manufacturing there are still many limitations due to supply chain/capacity issues. My friend’s Mercedes he reserved was delayed with no clear timeline because the only configuration available was no augmented reality camera and no power seat. Rivian specs have changed repeatedly, so have F150 Lightning. Car makers are all in the same boat right now, they’re not trying to trick you. They figure out what they’re able to build and deliver within the current limitations and then communicate it as soon as they’ve made the final determination as to what they can do.

No lane centering on standard DD is a big negative for me. I'm highly likely (95% confidence) to cancel my Air Pure reservation because of that.
Lane centering is the first thing I turned off on my current DD. But that is why there is so much truth to the saying: different strokes for different folks. Each of us has to decide what is important to us and what is not. No car does everything let alone everything well.

Lucid just sent out Pure specs for this first production run of them to Pure reservation holders. DDPro, Surreal sound AWD Fathom Blue with Mojave Purelux interior. So there’s the communication. In auto manufacturing there are still many limitations due to supply chain/capacity issues. My friend’s Mercedes he reserved was delayed with no clear timeline because the only configuration available was no augmented reality camera and no power seat. Rivian specs have changed repeatedly, so have F150 Lightning. Car makers are all in the same boat right now, they’re not trying to trick you.
I don't disagree with this. However, I think Lucid has been internally debating and confused about how they wanted to differentiate the Pure from the Touring. It's like they came up with the idea about trim levels and then could never settle on what features and/or components to exclude or include at the various trim levels. There are other things too which seem to be left unexplained. If the Pure has the same battery and is conifugred with AWD (dual motor), how is it 480HP vs 620HP for the Touring with the same powertrain? Lucid should have had their differentiation figured out and published a long time ago and made the trim level distinctions more apparent.

I don't disagree with this. However, I think Lucid has been internally debating and confused about how they wanted to differentiate the Pure from the Touring. It's like they came up with the idea about trim levels and then could never settle on what features and/or components to exclude or include at the various trim levels. There are other things too which seem to be left unexplained. If the Pure has the same battery and is conifugred with AWD (dual motor), how is it 480HP vs 620HP for the Touring with the same powertrain? Lucid should have had their differentiation figured out and published a long time ago and made the trim level distinctions more apparent.
Software limited. That's it, you pay more you get more. I'm not sure what the confusion is here.

That is not exactly correct, but I am done, so who cares. All I did was screenshot the removal of the SA opening and offered three reasons why it was removed; (1) it was postponed (2) it was canceled or (3) worse. I offered all three and said I had no idea. All I said was the event was removed from the web site, which indeed it was, I showed screenshots of before and after.
Barry, I'm not going there with you. I had encouraged you to revisit your sourcing and ethical tactics LONG before Jeff pointed out the same thing to you. I even went so far as to encourage you to take a journalism class. I told that your tactics were questionable and that you might be heading for trouble. I have the receipts. What I wrote last night is accurate.

I would actually be happy if Pure had blind spot cameras...
Those can't be that expensive to add to a car

Thought I would share my story with my Tesla purchase in the early days of their FSD promises for those debating the DD/DDP.

I went to the Tesla studio to test drive, build, and purchase my Model S back in in 2017. I was told by the sales rep and it was clearly described on the Tesla website (wish I took a photo - I'm sure it's floating out on the web somewhere) that purchasing FSD would future proof me on their developments and ensure my vehicle will be apart of their vision they are building with FSD by having all the necessary hardware and that they'd upgrade my hardware if needed to achieve it.

5.5 years later they did 1 free upgrade which was my internal computer hardware, but if anyone knows the MCU1 Vs. MCU2 fiasco which is a disaster, Tesla claims the MCU1 can handle FSD which is just BS and they are dragging the timeline on that. MCU1 is archaic. I paid to upgrade to the MCU2 ($2750, had to pay $500 extra just to keep FM/AM radio :rolleyes:) because of how bad MCU1 is and I couldn't deal with it any longer on a daily basis. It was super laggy and non-functional many times requiring 5+ min reboots yet Tesla is claiming this control unit will handle FSD. They are already on MCU3 on the newer Teslas and it's already been said that previous models will not be upgradeable.

Even still, my Tesla does not seem to have the newer full color cameras, and I have no idea what cameras will be used for their new Tesla Vision that is being rolled out.

I really do think once there are more Lucids on the road sending back data to Lucid, they will enable Highway Assist on DD models once they can get more comfortable with the cameras doing this job safely despite Lucid employees saying otherwise. Though a little different, I remember when Teslas were doing an "uncorking" to allow more power out of the Model S built after a specific date/year. I was told my car is not eligible. Couple of months later, my car became eligible for uncorking (AWD models), and a couple months after that, RWD became available. I believe Tesla was taking in data during that time to ensure uncorking for the previous motors can be done safely for longevity.

I really do think once there are more Lucids on the road sending back data to Lucid, they will enable Highway Assist on DD models once they can get more comfortable with the cameras doing this job safely despite Lucid employees saying otherwise.
If that'a the case then there will be a lot of pissed off people who paid $10K for DDP who weren't interested but felt forced because they wanted Highway Assist. If Lucid's intention is to push Highway Assist down to DD at some point then they should be transparent about it. Nothing wrong with them saying it's not available day 1 but will be coming at a later date. Saying it's not available, people dropping $10K to get it and then making it available is not a good tactic.

I have a guess that they're waiting because some parts may have become too expensive or unavailable closer to actual production. I think it's worse to promise something and then remove later on.

If that'a the case then there will be a lot of pissed off people who paid $10K for DDP who weren't interested but felt forced because they wanted Highway Assist. If Lucid's intention is to push Highway Assist down to DD at some point then they should be transparent about it. Nothing wrong with them saying it's not available day 1 but will be coming at a later date. Saying it's not available, people dropping $10K to get it and then making it available is not a good tactic.
I'd say the 10k is for Highway Pilot

Yeah, because promising future features has worked out so well for Tesla.

I'd say the 10k is for Highway Pilot
There was a clear distinction when DreamDrive was first announced

DD - ACC + Lane Centering (aka Highway Assist)
DDP - "enhanced/hands off/Level 3" ACC + Lane Centering (aka Highway Pilot)

It made sense to be paying $10K for the extra sensors and LiDAR to be ready for when Highway Pilot launches. Lucid has since changed their mind and removed Highway Assist from DD so there is no way of getting it without forking out $10K. The advantage is those people will get Highway Pilot when it releases but for those who were never interested in Highway Pilot are now being asked to pay $10K for something that at the time of announcement was standard in DD.

Now, if people fork out $10K when they had no intention to but really, really wanted Highway Assist and Lucid decides to add it back to DD in the future then those people are going to be extremely annoyed.

Yeah, because promising future features has worked out so well for Tesla.
To be fair, Lucid needs to prove itself on this also. We've all bought into the "Highway Pilot" coming in the future with no real ETA on when it's arriving so Lucid could play the exact same game Tesla is playing.

Skimmed through most of this but here just to say, as a nearly 3 year owner of a M3P, Lucid should really find a way to ensure basic Autopilot equivalent is included stock right down to the base Pure. Full self driving, at this point, is a long way off and a sucker bet at this point. But basic autopilot should be a must in a vehicle positioning itself upmarket of Tesla and luxury/near-luxury. It won't deter me from a purchase if it's missing, but it will be very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back