Enthusiast Canceling after the Launch event - in Depth Reasons/discrepancies noted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched a video of lane centering on a Honda. That's pretty cool. It looks like car is self driving. I'm still not sure about putting my hands off wheel though. Anyways, from what I'm reading here is that regular DD won't even have lane centering? In that case then I can see why people would be upset about it.

I'd say the 10k is for Highway Pilot
In the announcement paperwork for UX2.0, it said exactly that, which is why I'm perplexed. 6 weeks ago DD was going to get Highway Assist, and DDPro would get Highway Pilot plus 360 surround and blindspot cameras. Feels REALLY strange that that changed so late in the game.

Ford, GM and Mercedes have very useful "driver assist" technology now. It is not full self-driving but it's useful. If Lucid can catch up to them next year, I will be happy.
Same here. I’ve never owned a car with lane centering ability and I’m kind of obsessed with Lucid’s HA. I recognize that it’s in its infancy and look forward to it catching up with its peers. I am starting to get a level of confidence using it, which for me is huge. I would rather it do a few things very well for now, then to be a cornucopia of parlor tricks, which work most of the time. I think level 3 driving will probably be available before I’m ready to rely on it.

Even after almost almost eight years on the market Tesla Autopilot requires keeping your hands on the wheel and paying attention to the road -- and only on geo-fenced roads with clear lane markings. While it may save you a few twitches of the arm or wrist muscles going down the highway, it won't make full turns for you. In other words, all it spares you is actually having to move the wheel now and again on your own. It certainly does not free up your hands for other tasks or let you safely take your eyes off the road.

The Lucid Air Pure will lead its market niche in range, power, handling, room, and comfort. To forgo all that because you have to occasionally move the hand you're having to keep on the steering wheel anyway seems a bit extreme to me.
Mercedes has level 3 certification in Germany. Why do I care what Tesla does?

Lucid needs to at least match GM, Ford and Mercedes.

Mercedes has level 3 certification in Germany.
Isn't it limited to 60km/hr. Not exactly very useful on US highways.
Mercedes has said they're putting in all the necessary paperwork by year end for Level 3 autonomous in the US. Who knows how long all that will take to get approved though.

To some of the earlier comments on horsepower testing & validation still ongoing with Lucid as an excuse as to why they have not released the Pure RWD HP final number, be in 480HP, 479HP as some poked fun at (made me chuckle a bit, yes I am pedantic), etc. To lay out the argument, the battery back at the voltages supplier can clearly push 620hp equivalent amperage. They already stated with Wunderbox is the same. The AGT does 819 HP, so close at 410HP/motor, and AGT performance already exceeds 480 HP per motor. I know in the original Dream editions there was a discussion of special metallurgy to hit the performance numbers in the motors, so maybe (a VERY big maybe), Lucid just now realized that the RWD without this Dream edition like special metallurgy can't hit the 480 horsepower number. Clearly they won't make the RWD Pure higher than 480HP due to software limits & tiering, and I assume they will not use special metallurgy due to cost reasons.

In any event, the 3.8 seconds on the website for the RWD should be changed for removed until the above mentioned is solved.

Great discussion on this thread, while I really appreciate Lucid's hardware engineering, part of me hopes they either 1) tell people they are going to try to eventually shift Highway assist without Dream Drive Pro, or 2) include Lidar in all vehicles and just eat the cost increase, Lidar is $500-$1,000 per car per Luminar. I suspect the amount of Pure cancellations and investor questions they will get about declining order book (as they did in Q3 earnings when it dipped 3,000 cars due to cancellations) is NOT worth it versus just doing #1 or #2 I outlined above.

There sure does seem to be a lot of "I WANT WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT IT" entitlement on here. Y'all know it's not a REQUIREMENT to buy a Lucid, right?! If Tesla or whatever car brand you keep comparing it to is so much better, go get one! Hell, if you need a ride to pick it up I'll take you myself. In my GT that I'm thrilled with.

There sure does seem to be a lot of "I WANT WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT IT" entitlement on here. Y'all know it's not a REQUIREMENT to buy a Lucid, right?! If Tesla or whatever car brand you keep comparing it to is so much better, go get one! Hell, if you need a ride to pick it up I'll take you myself. In my GT that I'm thrilled with.
Really constructive post...

I am still a believer that DDP for $10000 in my case is a big waste of money. I am not interested in a self driving vehicle, especially when that particular feature is not even functioning. I am interested in a car that can give me 350-400 miles on a full charge, charges faster than any existing ev and is drop dead gorgeous.
I know I will be waiting until May, June, or July but it s well worth the wait.

Does DDP provide significant improvement over regular DD in helping avoid collision?

I am still a believer that DDP for $10000 in my case is a big waste of money. I am not interested in a self driving vehicle, especially when that particular feature is not even functioning. I am interested in a car that can give me 350-400 miles on a full charge, charges faster than any existing ev and is drop dead gorgeous.
That’s very fair and all good points. I’m happy you’re waiting for exactly what YOU want and hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

This is actually fake news. LoL. Autopilot with autosteer, yeah, your hand is on the wheel. Just hold the wheel and go limp, and the car does the rest. As long as there are lane markings, as most roads have, it handles driving itself with ease. As I said in an other reply, my model S drives me to and from work every day with very minimal input from me. It is incredible how much mental energy you don’t have to expend when the car is driving itself, especially in traffic.

Not gonna lie. It definitely frees me up to look at my phone to call somebody or shoot a text.
I don't know where you are but I hope that it is not on the east coast. If the police saw you on your phone, you would be balancing our county budget. I certainly don't want to be driving next to a driver who is texting.

That’s very fair and all good points. I’m happy you’re waiting for exactly what YOU want and hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
I am certainly looking forward. I am glad that you are enjoying your car.

Today's Lucid email about receiving a Pure in December was much ado about nothing. I spoke with my very candid sales associate. He said that this first small batch of Lucid Air Pures is a very limited production run and that only the very early reservation holders (he didn't say what the cut off was, but from listening between the lines I would guess before mid-summer 2021), would be eligible for these first Pures. Knowing this, I am content to wait until late winter or spring for my Pure in the color and configuration I desire. He also implied there was still some internal discussion taking place concerning lane centering with standard DreamDrive.

Today's Lucid email about receiving a Pure in December was much ado about nothing. I spoke with my very candid sales associate. He said that this first small batch of Lucid Air Pures is a very limited production run and that only the very early reservation holders (he didn't say what the cut off was, but from listening between the lines I would guess before mid-summer 2021), would be eligible for these first Pures. Knowing this, I am content to wait until late winter or spring for my Pure in the color and configuration I desire. He also implied there was still some internal discussion taking place concerning lane centering with standard DreamDrive.
Good to know they are thinking about getting lane centering with standard DreamDrive. I understand the resistance, $10,000 is a lot for us as consumers to swallow and it's also a lot for them to give up. I suggest them to think about the balance between making money on each vehicle vs making money on the stock market. I believe investors care more about the reservation volume and their production ramp-up vs their average car price.

LANE CENTER WITH STANDARD DREAMDRIVE!

I agree with regards to the cost for what you get. I understand that you're essentially paying for the additional cameras and lidar and essentially development. But if you have no interest in autonomous driving you lose out on some options. For me I feel like there should've been an option to have the cameras for the Blindspot and surround monitoring while leaving out the lidar. I was really hoping that regular DD would have enough cameras to at least give you a top down 360 view of the car. When parking I don't need to spin the camera around to see all sides.

I agree with regards to the cost for what you get. I understand that you're essentially paying for the additional cameras and lidar and essentially development. But if you have no interest in autonomous driving you lose out on some options. For me I feel like there should've been an option to have the cameras for the Blindspot and surround monitoring while leaving out the lidar. I was really hoping that regular DD would have enough cameras to at least give you a top down 360 view of the car. When parking I don't need to spin the camera around to see all sides.
I feel the same way. I hope someone at Lucid reads this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back