Electrify America Overpriced?

150 kW charger on the outskirts of a Walmart parking lot isn't exactly the equivalent of Le Cirque ....
regardless of the location the cost of the hardware and cost of hooking up to the utility that provides the electricity is usually the same

DC fast chargers are there to allow road tripping. They won't be the cheapest or most time-effective way to charge. For that, you'll want to install a charging station at your home and charge while you sleep.

By the way, if you pay $7 for a month of EA's Pass+ membership, it'll typically pay for itself on the first charge. With our other EV, I pay for Pass+ for the month I'm doing a road trip, then cancel it when I get back home.

Are you able to add and remove Pass + in the EA app?

We looked into purchasing 350kWh stations as an investment. The ROI was terrible even for moderate daily use by drivers. 3-4 years to break even without equipment failures. I cannot imagine a future with just stations without any business attached to it.

Coffee shops, tea shops, restaurants, etc. paired with electric stations was the only way we could make the math work out reasonably. Even then, it is questionable how much one would bolster the other's usage and foot traffic. Competition is also minimal, regulations/permits lengthy to acquire, and a host of other issues driving up the costs until more folks get into the game with a more streamlined process overall.

As for cost equivalence, you would need to compare the mpg of your Lexus vs the Lucid. Then you would need to account for the amount of charging done at home at those rates. Then you start to get an understanding of cost to travel per mile.

Electrify America is overpriced at any price. We began a road trip this morning after months since the last one, and EA issues continue unabated.

Our first stop was at the EA station in Bushnell, FL. Two of the six stations were not working. A 350-kW cable finally came open, and we plugged in only to find the station would not authenticate our connection. I telephoned EA for assistance, but no one picked up. Meanwhile, a 150-kW cable opened up, and that authenticated the connection. However, by then the Polestar next to our first cable had moved, because he never got a connection. Then a Nissan Leaf using an adapter also had to switch stations.

Now that we had our charge session going, we walked over to the nearby Wendy’s for lunch. As we were finishing, the Lucid app showed the charging session had been terminated at 74% charge. We were trying to top 90% because of the next leg of the trip. So I had to call EA again. I got an answer this time, and they had to reset the station. They told me they were having reset issues across a lot of locations today.

This was smooth going compared to what happened at our next charging stop in Brunswick, GA. The first charger we plugged into said we had to use a credit card. While I was trying to call EA, we got a red “Authentication Error” alert and a message to unplug and plug back in. When we tried to, we found the cable would not release from the car. (As our right front frunk latch had failed the day before we left home, we could not open the frunk to do the manual release.). When EA finally answered, they told me how to release the plug by using the key fob to unlock the car. After several attempts another stall had opened, and we moved to it. Same story, including the red alert and the locked cable. And on to a third cable. While I was shouting out the window to my partner who was reading out the screen (which was on the other side of the charge post), a Lucid Touring parked next to us. Within a few minutes, he was at our car trying to listen in on the EA call, as he was having the same problem. After several attempts, we were finally able to start the session using the Lucid app. The first two tries had also generated the “Authentication Error” alert and locked the cable.

ELECTRIFY AMERICA SUCKS. IT ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY, FURIOUSLY, IRREDEEMABLY SUCKS. SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS.

The only bright spot is that the tropical storm that is coming to the southeast had not yet hit, so we weren’t going through this torment in the rain. We are sitting in a hotel room tonight trying to decide whether to continue the trip or just give up and go back home.

Electrify America is overpriced at any price. We began a road trip this morning after months since the last one, and EA issues continue unabated.

Our first stop was at the EA station in Bushnell, FL. Two of the six stations were not working. A 350-kW cable finally came open, and we plugged in only to find the station would not authenticate our connection. I telephoned EA for assistance, but no one picked up. Meanwhile, a 150-kW cable opened up, and that authenticated the connection. However, by then the Polestar next to our first cable had moved, because he never got a connection. Then a Nissan Leaf using an adapter also had to switch stations.

Now that we had our charge session going, we walked over to the nearby Wendy’s for lunch. As we were finishing, the Lucid app showed the charging session had been terminated at 74% charge. We were trying to top 90% because of the next leg of the trip. So I had to call EA again. I got an answer this time, and they had to reset the station. They told me they were having reset issues across a lot of locations today.

This was smooth going compared to what happened at our next charging stop in Brunswick, GA. The first charger we plugged into said we had to use a credit card. While I was trying to call EA, we got a red “Authentication Error” alert and a message to unplug and plug back in. When we tried to, we found the cable would not release from the car. (As our right front frunk latch had failed the day before we left home, we could not open the frunk to do the manual release.). When EA finally answered, they told me how to release the plug by using the key fob to unlock the car. After several attempts another stall had opened, and we moved to it. Same story, including the red alert and the locked cable. And on to a third cable. While I was shouting out the window to my partner who was reading out the screen (which was on the other side of the charge post), a Lucid Touring parked next to us. Within a few minutes, he was at our car trying to listen in on the EA call, as he was having the same problem. After several attempts, we were finally able to start the session using the Lucid app. The first two tries had also generated the “Authentication Error” alert and locked the cable.

ELECTRIFY AMERICA SUCKS. IT ABSOLUTELY, TOTALLY, FURIOUSLY, IRREDEEMABLY SUCKS. SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS.

The only bright spot is that the tropical storm that is coming to the southeast had not yet hit, so we weren’t going through this torment in the rain. We are sitting in a hotel room tonight trying to decide whether to continue the trip or just give up and go back home.
You need to use Plugshare to see which charging locations are good. You also need to go to EA to make sure they are working. If you don't do these things you will probably use bad stations. But if you plan on using chargers with high ratings on plugshare, your experience will improve dramatically.

The point is that stations go down all the time. Just avoid those.

You need to use Plugshare to see which charging locations are good. You also need to go to EA to make sure they are working. If you don't do these things you will probably use bad stations. But if you plan on using chargers with high ratings on plugshare, your experience will improve dramatically.

You shouldn’t need to rely on a third party app to check if a charger even though it’s says it’s online isn’t etc.

If I’m doing a road trip and my car plans the chargers along the route it’s a pain in the ass to then hunt out those chargers in a third party app to make sure all is ok. It’s absurd and shouldn’t be this complex.

The reality is, electricity rates vary a lot across the country. CA is expensive. Eastern regions are cheaper.

That said, the price EA charges has little to do with how much it cost them for the electricity. They will charge whatever the market would bear. In CA, EA price their per kWh rates at just a bit below gas price for most common EV's consumption. Around the Bay area, it is ~65 cents/kWh. Yes, paying the monthly EA fee gives you some discount. But it is still high.

In contrast, Rivian's Adventure charging stations all have a flat 36 cents/kWh nation-wide. It used to be free (until Nov 2023). And Rivian's 300kW chargers are great! they are reliable, fast, and I have yet to come across one that doesn't work.

My only fear with the Rivian charger is they are going to open it to non Rivian cars later this year. I am not looking forward to that!

You shouldn’t need to rely on a third party app to check if a charger even though it’s says it’s online isn’t etc.

If I’m doing a road trip and my car plans the chargers along the route it’s a pain in the ass to then hunt out those chargers in a third party app to make sure all is ok. It’s absurd and shouldn’t be this complex.
Well, it is. I am sure it will improve at some point.

Absolutely.

Also, I don’t want my route plans under constant revision because of hour-to-hour shifts in the charging landscape.

As excited as I am about the Gravity, I’m seriously wondering whether getting one would be a mistake at this point. It would be the vehicle that replaces our Honda Odyssey as a group hauler for road trips with other older couples and with visiting family. We’re the only one in our circle of older friends who still keep a 6-passenger vehicle. It’s one thing for me and my partner to endure this highway charging nonsense. It’s another thing entirely to put other people through it.

Absolutely.

Also, I don’t want my route plans under constant revision because of hour-to-hour shifts in the charging landscape.

As excited as I am about the Gravity, I’m seriously wondering whether getting one would be a mistake at this point. It would be the vehicle that replaces our Honda Odyssey as a group hauler for road trips with other older couples and with visiting family. We’re the only one in our circle of older friends who still keep a 6-passenger vehicle. It’s one thing for me and my partner to endure this highway charging nonsense. It’s another thing entirely to put other people through it.
Well sounds like it’s going to have a NACS port out the gate so just a matter of “when” Lucid will get access to the network.

Until these ridiculous problems are solved and until we have a reliable charging network that doesn’t rely on several different apps, EV adoption will not progress at a rate that can adequately support the entire industry. I have had similar frustrations on the road and it is indeed infuriating. I know many of you live in California where things are much better.Many parts of the country ( including mine ) are wastelands.
Come on USA, we can do soooo much better. End of rant.

PS: I still love my car.😉😉

When EA finally answered, they told me how to release the plug by using the key fob to unlock the car.
To be fair, that has nothing to do with EA. That is literally how you unlock a charging cable from the car; you unlock the car.

To be fair, that has nothing to do with EA. That is literally how you unlock a charging cable from the car; you unlock the car.
Since this has come up more than once on this site, and some new owners are not aware of this, perhaps it would behoove Lucid to instruct new owners before delivery of their vehicle or during the orientation period. Simple fix. But should be emphasized when going over details of operation.

Since this has come up more than once on this site, and some new owners are not aware of this, perhaps it would behoove Lucid to instruct new owners before delivery of their vehicle or during the orientation period. Simple fix. But should be emphasized when going over details of operation.
Sure, agreed. I had the same issue/question the first time I charged.

Last edited:
If I had this much trouble (I haven't) with EA I would use other networks. I use other networks in Vermont since EA is not there.

This is only the second time I’ve had this issue in two and a half years. Usually my partner gets out to unplug the car while I remain seated in it. That what’s happened yesterday.

If I had this much trouble (I haven't) with EA I would use other networks. I use other networks in Vermont since EA is not there.

Other networks are not usually near the interstates . . . and the price of our car included the three years of “free” charging we supposedly have with EA.

Authentication errors are not unusual these days with EA. With that said, it’s usually no big deal to authenticate within the Lucid app. Simply go to the charging tab within the app and select the charger you’re using and you should get an authentication within seconds. Much easier than waiting for the error and then calling EA. I generally find that if I don’t get the plug n charge authentication within seconds, it won’t authenticate. So I always have the app ready so I don’t have to unplug and replug.

I checked PlugShare last night after reading your post. It reported none of the problems at the two locations where we had problems yesterday (Bushnell, FL and Brunswick, GA). The only issue we saw that was also reported was that the Bushnell location did not support dual charging even though the stations had two CCS cables on them.

We’ll see what today brings.

Back