EA Megathread

Significant. I have noticed almost a 100kW difference if I precondition or don’t.

I’m also coming off the highway, as I almost always only use EA on road trips.

Braggart or not, the reason I post these things is because I don’t have nearly as many “at bats” as most people here because I mostly charge at home. But my experiences have generally been really positive, especially the last 6-9 months, and it helps paint a more realistic (or at least broader) comparison than the barrage of complaints about EA on average.

I really do wonder if part of it is just a numbers thing. Because I have fewer sessions, I have less of a chance of error or failure.
A 100kW difference is very impressive. I was not aware the difference could be that great, especially coming off a highway. What’s the average amount of preconditioning time you’ve seen where a significant difference in charging time could be expected? I just never thought in warm weather, especially after a highway run, that preconditioning would amount to a worthwhile difference.

A 100kW difference is very impressive. I was not aware the difference could be that great, especially coming off a highway. What’s the average amount of preconditioning time you’ve seen where a significant difference in charging time could be expected? I just never thought in warm weather, especially after a highway run, that preconditioning would amount to a worthwhile difference.
Honestly, I haven’t been that scientific about it. I typically try to precondition about 30ish minutes before, +/-. But I just throw it in the nav and let the car figure it out.

When I don’t precondition, speeds aren’t exactly slow, but more in the 170-220 range initially, and go down from there, in my experience.

This is from July, hit 311kW in the Sapphire at EA station at Concord Mills north of Charlotte
IMG_0469.webp

Those are great numbers. Wonder if pre-conditoning has a bigger impact on Lucid than other brands? Definitely will try that.

I did notice that the miles per minute charges are a bit different. Even at low 125kw I get 10 miles a minute…

I also wonder how much energy is used in 30 minutes of preconditioning? Obviously this will be a number that varies with temperature, so I’m just looking for a ballpark number. IOW preconditioning does come with a price, additional used energy. If I was running a very low SOC I don’t think I’d use preconditioning unless I was sure the chargers I was headed to were both operational & available.

I also wonder how much energy is used in 30 minutes of preconditioning? Obviously this will be a number that varies with temperature, so I’m just looking for a ballpark number. IOW preconditioning does come with a price, additional used energy. If I was running a very low SOC I don’t think I’d use preconditioning unless I was sure the chargers I was headed to were both operational & available.
Assuming that chargers are operational and available is always a crapshoot with EA. Although recently I have found more of them working more often. But my almost 3 years of experience with EA has taught me to remember how to pray :)

This has to depend a lot on what speed you're going as well, for fresh off of the highway, I would bet preconditioning is closing shutters and diverting coolant....I could see it saving energy in some situations when it's not too cold outside

Question for the great hive mind – if I am navigating to an Electrify America station using the Lucid navigation app, will the car start preconditioning automatically?

If I have to start reconditioning myself, how far in advance do I start?

Question for the great hive mind – if I am navigating to an Electrify America station using the Lucid navigation app, will the car start preconditioning automatically?

If you are going to a nearby station, I think it is best to use the charger icon to identify the stations on the Lucid app, and then send the one you want to the car. It will then automatically start preconditioning when you download the station and set it into the car's navigation, but that might not be enough time if the charging station is close by. (That's what is so nice about being able to now start preconditioning from the app.) If you are planning a trip, and the Lucid navigation factors in your charging stops, it will automatically start preconditioning on the road for each stop. I think the app plans about 40 minutes for preconditioning, but I think about 20 minutes is enough if you are in comfortable outdoor temperatures.

If you enter a station into the navigation using the station's address, the car will not recognize it as a charging station, and won't start preconditioning.

Last edited:

Yes.

If you are going to a nearby station, I think it is best to use the charger icon to identify the stations on the Lucid app, and then send the one you want to the car. It will then automatically start preconditioning when you download the station and set it into the car's navigation, but that might not be enough time if the charging station is close by. (That's what is so nice about being able to now start preconditioning from the app.) If you are planning a trip, and the Lucid navigation factors in your charging stops, it will automatically start preconditioning on the road for each stop. I think the app plans about 40 minutes for preconditioning, but I think about 20 minutes is enough if you are in comfortable outdoor temperatures.

If you enter a station into the navigation using the station's address, the car will not recognize it as a charging station, and won't start preconditioning.

Thank you! And indeed the notification just came up. I’m still well over an hour away from the EA charging station.

Attachments

• IMG_1666.webp
    IMG_1666.webp
    191.1 KB · Views: 24

Agree - you have to add it as “charging” stop for auto pre condition.

My usual EA station recently upgraded from 2/6 350kW chargers to all 6/6 being 350kW. Unfortunately, now 2/6 are often offline 😬
General rule of thumb, if you see an EA location with available chargers its safe to say that the chargers available aren't working 🤣

General rule of thumb, if you see an EA location with available chargers its safe to say that the chargers available aren't working 🤣
Or the cars parked in those spaces aren't plugged in.

Thank you! And indeed the notification just came up. I’m still well over an hour away from the EA charging station.
I'm surprised that it would start automatic preconditioning well over an hour in advance.

I was going to suggest that you may want to cancel preconditioning until you got closer, but I see that you have probably already arrived at the charging station.

Back