EA is a f**kng joke

davidliu

Verified Owner
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
Sorry for the ranting. But I think EA deserves a ton of criticism. Anyone experienced the frustration know what I mean. I’m currently on a road trip from LA to SF. After dealing with them for a past few months both with my Lucid and Rivian. I have no faith in EA as well. Just hope them to bankrupt soon and have someone to take over them.

Yeah we share your frustration. We visit a handful of “regular” EA stations and it’s not like one is having an issue. It varies which station and what is the issue. So, it’s systemic for sure. And the problem is consistently reported on here and other forums. Like I’ve said before… as an early EV adopters, we KINDA tolerate it because we WANT it to work. My 70 year old parents (and middle America folk) would not put up with this if EVs were mainstream. The EV charging infrastructure needs massive upgrades.

Sorry for the ranting. But I think EA deserves a ton of criticism. Anyone experienced the frustration know what I mean. I’m currently on a road trip from LA to SF. After dealing with them for a past few months both with my Lucid and Rivian. I have no faith in EA as well. Just hope them to bankrupt soon and have someone to take over them.
which EA stations did you visit? i'm doing this route soon (SF to LA).

also, I had better luck once i started following this trick in this video. maybe a placebo but worth trying next time you're having troubles with EA.

I feel your pain. I do the LA to SF trip often and try to avoid EA like the plague. How they’re not being investigated is beyond me. They have to meet certain criteria as part of the diesel gate punishment and I’m sure they’re not delivering. CA likes to gouge companies for money they should go after them with with fines for delivering such a shit network.

I don’t know how you get media attention etc. onto them to make them step it up. I can almost bet if this network was owned by Tesla it would be in the news headlines every day but under the old guard of VW it’s being protected.

which EA stations did you visit? i'm doing this route soon (SF to LA).

also, I had better luck once i started following this trick in this video. maybe a placebo but worth trying next time you're having troubles with EA.
I tried Harris Ranch and Panoche shell the past week. Both locations were speed limited and one of the 350Kw chargers at Harris Ranch wouldn’t work even though it said it was online.

Sometimes, people van be wondering the consistency with EA inconsistency, especially just the simple handshake programming side of it can be dirty sabotaged from oppositions of competition or electrifying movement…

Likewise, if labor unionizing is detrimental to progress, wouldn’t opposers sneak in undercover saboteurs to incite break up?

of the four EA locations close to me one is pretty new and is relatively not high usage and has always worked, two locations are semi old and their units are often half down or speed limited. One of these locations just got turned off and they are putting new kiosks in ( slowly it seems as it has been behind chain link fence for two weeks) the last location is high usage and only one out of three kiosks works at any given time. I’ve stopped even going by after seeing the line to use the last three outings.
I’m going to be driving from Ny to Florida next month and I plan to sign up with EV go and charge point ( any others I should know about and what the reliability of these?) because the thought of relying on EA for 1800 miles each way terrifies me

of the four EA locations close to me one is pretty new and is relatively not high usage and has always worked, two locations are semi old and their units are often half down or speed limited. One of these locations just got turned off and they are putting new kiosks in ( slowly it seems as it has been behind chain link fence for two weeks) the last location is high usage and only one out of three kiosks works at any given time. I’ve stopped even going by after seeing the line to use the last three outings.
I’m going to be driving from Ny to Florida next month and I plan to sign up with EV go and charge point ( any others I should know about and what the reliability of these?) because the thought of relying on EA for 1800 miles each way terrifies me
Consider a Tesla Tap for any destination chargers. They don’t work with super chargers but if your hotel has one you can juice for free 😃

The more I read about EA, the more nervous I feel about leaving the Tesla ecosystem. Which is a shame, because Musk is a ...

But I need reliable charging for road trips - we drive up and down the East coast with some regularity, and the idea of being stuck because of an EA fail is concerning.

LUCID screwed up by not vetting EA properly or not requiring a certain % of chargers at each station to not only operate but deliver the stated KW/H speed up to the vehicle's ability. I recently went to an EA station in Boca Raton ... 4 of the 5 stations were inoperable and the one I used required a call to EA because it didn't recognize my LUCID and wanted to charge me. EA's service/repair operation is an oxymoron.

The more I read about EA, the more nervous I feel about leaving the Tesla ecosystem. Which is a shame, because Musk is a ...

But I need reliable charging for road trips - we drive up and down the East coast with some regularity, and the idea of being stuck because of an EA fail is concerning.
To be fair… with nearly 500 miles range, you probably won’t be stuck in most places on the east coast. EA is challenging, yes, but there is often another not too far down the road in range of the monster efficiency of these cars. Nearly double the range of the average Tesla. Is EA an issue? Yes. Should it cause anyone with an Air range anxiety? No way!

What choice did they have?
not sure ...maybe an investment into reliable charging ....that is what Musk did and that decision was essential to Tesla's success.

not sure ...maybe an investment into reliable charging ....that is what Musk did and that decision was essential to Tesla's success.
That would be at least a $5 billion effort over a period of several years. Right now it does seem like a good idea though.

To be fair… with nearly 500 miles range, you probably won’t be stuck in most places on the east coast. EA is challenging, yes, but there is often another not too far down the road in range of the monster efficiency of these cars. Nearly double the range of the average Tesla. Is EA an issue? Yes. Should it cause anyone with an Air range anxiety? No way!
Charging still causes me anxiety! My DE-P does have more range than Teslas do but just driving from Houston to Dallas and back has been an issue in cold weather and having to find working DCFCs. My son drove his Model S from Houston to Tampa and had to stop and charge often but never had an issue finding a working Telsa super-charger.

Don't believe that figuring on 500 miles is wise. I would love to know if anyone is getting close to 500 miles. My experience is about half of miles that the car shows. I do drive "normally" ...that is not under the speed limit and have 21 tires and listen to radio and use A/C. Assume everyone uses those features pretty much all the time.

That would be at least a $5 billion effort over a period of several years. Right now it does seem like a good idea though.
don't know where that number came from. I wasn't suggesting LUCID build its own network but they should have done a better job of ensuring EA's stations worked properly and that EA had sufficient trained personnel to keep the stations operating. An investment into EA ... both time and $$$ would have been wise. The more bad press EA and other charging stations get, the less LUCIDS will be sold.

don't know where that number came from...
An approximation taken from the federal infrastructure money allocated for EV charging ($7.5B), and the number of DC fast chargers they expect to install with this money compared to the number already in existence.

As a soon-to-be Touring owner, and having never owned an electric car, this is probably my least favorite thread. I'm bracing myself for potential mechanical and software defects, but if I can't reliably charge away from home, what does it matter?

While I prefer the promised free charging at EA stations, I certainly don't mind paying for a charge if there are reliable providers. Is there a preferred go-to EV charger provider and/or app. that accurately reports station status? I've seen a few apps. mentioned, but they all seem so basic and generally don't have updated information.

My main concern at this point is: are there are any qualified companies in the USA to install new charging systems using the federal money - companies with a proven track record of maintaining operable fast charging stations. The money is there, but can it be properly used? In the EU, sure (their CCS network is reliable), but not here yet other than Tesla?

Back