EA Charging Problems

So a follow up to my authentication issue. I went back to the same chargers just now after doing a logo reboot, but encountered the same issue. I did discover that I could use the Lucid app to initiate charging despite the authentication error, so there’s that. I also tried the manual disconnect that Keith mentioned, but that didn’t work in my case.

I did call Lucid tech support and they felt everything looked normal on their end. So in the end the finger was pointed at the bank of EA chargers that previously had never given me this issue. At some point I’ll try a different location I’ve used in the past to see if I get the same error. If I do I’d really suspect the car and whatever goes in to the authentication process. The first time using L3 charging after the software update continues to make me suspicious.
I have used L3 charging post-2.1.42 without issue, fwiw.

It’s possible it’s the car, but just as likely it’s an EA issue.

I had a similar problem with EA in Livermore CA yesterday. It was on an old 150kw unit. Multiple attempts failed with cable plugged in message on car. First charging problem II many months. I moved to a new 350 kw charger that became available. It worked and was highest initial charge 200 kw that I have ever experienced. Did you have this problem with the 150kw charger?
Believe it was a 350 kw charger... Also, I didn't see any option to identify the charger number in the app, which I've had to sometimes do to move the authentication process along.

Resolved-It was indeed an EA charger issue at the site I generally use. I’m sitting charging at a different location with no authentication issue. Of course this charger has a black screen, but I’d suspect if there was an authentication problem I’d still get the error in-car.

I hope everyone is having a better experience with EA charging than I am. I have noted in another post we traveled 850 miles in the first 24 hours of ownership. We charged 6 times, only 1 time did we get a charge started (using the Lucid app). The other 5 charging attempts all resulted in lengthy phone calls with both Lucid support and EA support in 3 way calls. EA would give us a “complimentary charge” to get our car to charge. It has been in into service 2 times for a lot of issues along with the inability to charge at an EA station. After the last service, we were told by the Lucid Tech that the problem is solved and the tech charged at an EA station by “plugging it in and it began charging”. Well…today I took it to an EA station in Phoenix (Fry’s on Bell road). A Polestar was charging at one of the stations. I tried the other 3 stations with “unable to authenticate” error messages at all of them. The gentleman with the Polestar attempted to help using the EA app on my phone. No success. He finished and I attempted to use his station. No luck. I phoned Lucid support. While on the phone with Lucid support, a Volkswagen and a Hyandai Ionic pulled up. Both of them began charging immediately at stations that I had previously tried.

My Lucid support person tried to help me get a charge going. He was looking at live results on my car as we attempted using apps, plugging in and unplugging, and a reset for the car. We had no luck in getting the car to charge. I mentioned to the Lucid support gentleman that I have a vary worthless paperweight as I can not charge the car anywhere but my garage. Told him that 3 different types of EVs were charging. I have only been able to get a charge one time in the 26 days we have owned the car. The Lucid support gent said it is all EA’s fault and If I would just pay with a credit card my charging problems would be over. I have no idea how he would know this, I however, was willing to try. I asked hime if Lucid would reimburse me for the cost if successful. “No, EA should reimburse you, it is their problem, not Lucid’s”, the Lucid support person told me.
”I said, I really don’t care who wants to point fingers, Lucid or EA, their problems have become MY problem. I need a solution or a buy back of my car. I suggested the problem could be Lucid since 3 other brands have charged while I can not. The Lucid support gent said, “that is apples to oranges. They are paying for the charge. You are trying to get a free charge”. At this point he gave me a short lecture on why I should pay for the charges myself as the others at the charging station where doing.

I said Lucid built the price of charging for 3 years into what I paid for the car. I walked over to the Inonic and asked if Huyndai was paying for the charge. “Nope, he has ‘free charging” for the first few years of ownership, same as I am supposed to have. He did tell me his in-laws have a Lucid Touring and they have a hard time getting EA to charge. They have only had success with the EA app, not the Lucid app.

The Lucid support could hear our conversation and said that sounds suspicious since I am one of ONLY 3 Lucids that have had a problem charging at an EA station.
HOW MANY OF YOU OWNERS HAVE REPORTED A PROBLEM WITH AN EA CHARGER TO LUCID? I would bet more than 3.

We added EA support to the conversation. The only way to get my car to charge was for EA to again give me a complimentary charge and manually start the charging for me. We agreed to charge for a few minutes, stop the charge, and attempt to charge without the complimentary charge. Both Lucid support and EA support were nice enough to remain on the phone while this was attempted. No success. As instructed, I did a soft reset using the signal light method and attempted to charge with no success. Neither EA or Lucid support could get the car to begin charging using either of the Lucid app, the EA app, or no app at all. The Lucid support seemed to be able to see what was happening with my car in real time, however, this did not help him get my car to charge.

The Lucid support gentleman then began to tell EA support this is 100% EAs fault and this can not be an issue caused by my car. I asked Lucid support to document the call, start a ”ticket” of some type to have someone from Lucid figure this out and please call me with a solution. Lucid support passed it all off to EA and asked for a manager at EA. After a short hold, a manager at EA listened to our problems and stated, “this is a fairly common problem with Lucid Airs. We will look into this, however, Lucid may want to look at my car to see if a problem exists in the software”. The EA manager took my phone number and offered to look into this matter and get back to me in 3-5 days.

That satisfied Lucid support who then said “thank you and hung up the phone”. I thanked the EA gentleman and hope they may find a solution for me.

I have owned the car for a month. I spent 2 1/2 hours at an EA station with both Lucid support and EA on a 3 way call for the majority of that time with no success, unless, EA manually initiates the charge. It has been to the service center twice. Some of the issues seem to be resolved. Some are not. The inability to charge the car is a big issue. I hope some of you may have some suggestions as to who to contact at Lucid, or if you were having EA problems, can you share how you where able to work around them. Lucid support does not seem to want to admit any liability, or seem to wan to fix the charging issue. At this point I am afraid a buy back or Lemon Law may be my only option. I really enjoy driving the car. I don’t have a long enough charging cord to get very far from my home with the Lucid. It could be a very expensive paperweight that I purchased.
Sorry to re-open several old threads, but just pointing out that the authentication issue I am seeing is not rare. It is definitely a problem which needs Lucid and EA to come together to solve it. Something happened in the last 6 months or so ago (I first experienced it in August, and it was rare then, not now). Once we started having to authenticate through the Lucid App with an EA button, the failure rates have increased nd something about that causes the problem. I love my Lucid and I am sure this issue will be resolved. I know corporate reads this forum and pulling all the errors that are posted here together, they have much more ammunition to solve the issue.

Sorry to re-open several old threads, but just pointing out that the authentication issue I am seeing is not rare. It is definitely a problem which needs Lucid and EA to come together to solve it. Something happened in the last 6 months or so ago (I first experienced it in August, and it was rare then, not now). Once we started having to authenticate through the Lucid App with an EA button, the failure rates have increased nd something about that causes the problem. I love my Lucid and I am sure this issue will be resolved. I know corporate reads this forum and pulling all the errors that are posted here together, they have much more ammunition to solve the issue.
I live in the Phoenix area and I took delivery of my Lucid AGT in Nov 2022. Yes, I encountered many incidences of EA charging problem with EA chargers in the Phoenix area failing to recognize/authenticate my car. Like you, I spent hours on the phone with EA. Often, I had to read them my VIN number and they then authorize a one-off "complementary charge". I took the car back to Lucid's SC in Scottsdale on several occasions and they "reinstall" my "certificate " (there is a acronym for it but I forgot what it was). I often charge at the Bell Rd/Fry's station just like you. I travelled to CA from time-to-time and charged many times at EA stations in CA. Overall, I have not encounter the same problem at the EA chargers in CA except one incident at an older EA charger in Palm Springs.

The problem is real, most likely an EA problem. Youa re not hallucinating.

Once we started having to authenticate through the Lucid App with an EA button, the failure rates have increased nd something about that causes the problem.
I’d like to point out that this isn’t new. From the very beginning of when I received my car, in January 2022, you had to *sometimes* authenticate with the Lucid App with an EA button.

That is why I’m not convinced this is a widespread issue, coupled with not very many reports.

Again, it’s a real problem for you, and I am not trying to downplay it at all.

But we did not recently “start having to authenticate through the Lucid app with an EA button.” That is not new, and it is not necessary most times. I still PnC with no issues 90%ish of the time, just like I always have; the other 10% I have to authenticate with the Lucid app, just like I always have.

That’s all I’m saying.

Yeah both the Pure and GT unable to authenticate today. Not a huge deal we charge at home.

Yeah both the Pure and GT unable to authenticate today. Not a huge deal we charge at home.
Wait, be more specific - did you have to use the EA app and that worked or did you have this weird “we think you’re at the last station” bug?

Wait, be more specific - did you have to use the EA app and that worked or did you have this weird “we think you’re at the last station” bug?
Both cars at two separate stations (4 total EA stations) asking to authenticate in app. Would not PnC. Was unable to authenticate in app and it kept asking for us to pay for charging.

Both cars at two separate stations (4 total EA stations) asking to authenticate in app. Would not PnC. Was unable to authenticate in app and it kept asking for us to pay for charging.
Very interesting. But it didn’t tell you you were at the wrong station?

New Lucid IOS App was released on Monday. Please update. I now have had ZERO authentication issues since the updated app was installed - no authentication issues, no “authorization timed out”, no “not showing the EA button”, no wrong EA station popping up, all of which I have been experiencing. Each charge has been true “plug and charge” without having to authenticate via an app. I can plug and walk away finally.

I was able to charge Pure at EA plug ad charge yesterday at Walmart Osgood, Fremont, CA

PnC didn't work for me today (with the updated app). When I first plugged in, I got an authentication error but the "Electrify America" button didn't appear in the Lucid app. Unplugged and tried again, again no PnC but I was able authenticate through the app.

I charged the car last night at the local EA charger and noticed that the charging was faster then previous. Am I imagining or has EA and or Lucid improved charging efficiency?

Hit and miss. I've been only car charging, fully preconditioned and never see more than 100kw. Other times same station, all spaces full and I start at 250kw and stay over 150kw for the bulk of my charging. No rhyme or reason.

I was referring to miles/minute. Yesterday charging was at 6 mi/minute as opposed to prior max of 4 mi/minute. I couldn't tell you what kW the stations hit while charging. I know it's a 150 kW EA station.

I was referring to miles/minute. Yesterday charging was at 6 mi/minute as opposed to prior max of 4 mi/minute. I couldn't tell you what kW the stations hit while charging. I know it's a 150 kW EA station.
that's not really the measurement used, most people look at kw delivered to the car.

Back