Dual Station or Two Single Station?

Electrified

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT, F Type SVR, F-Pace
Referral Code
04MXQNS5
I'm in the planning stages of EV charging here at my office, I currently have an AGT and a Polestar 2 ordered; the question is do we install (2) single point Level 2 chargers, or do we purchase a dual Level 2 charger that can supply full charging to both cars?

I was thinking using two of these wall mounted Sema units along with the Sema cable management, pretty much all in for for about $1,400.00 with this setup; thoughts and advice please.
Also as we replace ICE vehicles we will be adding stations.

is It just for you or is it for employees and/ or general public use as well? Also, is the parking area secure where you have access control to get to the charging stations? If not, and it is only for you and or employees you might want to make sure it is lockable or has some sort of code in order to be able to use the station

is It just for you or is it for employees and/ or general public use as well? Also, is the parking area secure where you have access control to get to the charging stations? If not, and it is only for you and or employees you might want to make sure it is lockable or has some sort of code in order to be able to use the station
It's for me and employees and will not be available to the general public.
Even though it will be in a gated and locked parking lot after hours I like your idea of having some way to lock out the charger.

The dual charger unit sounds like a good deal. What is the amperage on the charging?

The dual charger unit sounds like a good deal. What is the amperage on the charging?
We will set the units up for 50 amps each which will deliver 12 KW charging. I'm really leaning towards this Sema Connect solution, but remain open to all comments and suggestions.

From the brochure:
Series 4 EV home charging station features

• Charges approximately 37 miles of range per hour
  • J1772™ Plug is compatible with all electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
  • Wireless technology allows for remote access and easy over-the-air firmware upgrades
  • Smart phone app conveniently pre-schedules a charging session, power shares, and locks the station
  • Alexa Voice Control (future feature)
  • NEMA 14-50 electrical plug or hard-wired option
  • Flexible configuration: power output level (16-50 A) can be configured to accommodate a range of circuit breakers
  • Fleet-ready: will support power sharing and fleet vehicles in the future
  • 3-Year Warranty
  • Flexible configuration: power output level (16-50 A) can be configured to accommodate a range of circuit breakers

with that pricing, it looks very good. The hardwired amperage is the same as my ChargePoint Flex home charger. It has the smart charger capabilities. Many of those office units only pull 40 or 32 amps. I have seen those units around, but haven’t used them. I would say it’s really all about the warranty, reliability and repair service if something breaks. On office EvSEs the users don’t take care of them as much as if it were their own home charger and little plastic parts break off over time. There is a ChargePoint commercial dual charger in a shopping center that I use sometimes and one of the units seems to always be down because people break the connector tabs off of the J1772 head.

You might want to consider the Wallbox Plusar Plus, up to 48A, which has software ability to lockout use.

with that pricing, it looks very good. The hardwired amperage is the same as my ChargePoint Flex home charger. It has the smart charger capabilities. Many of those office units only pull 40 or 32 amps. I have seen those units around, but haven’t used them. I would say it’s really all about the warranty, reliability and repair service if something breaks. On office EvSEs the users don’t take care of them as much as if it were their own home charger and little plastic parts break off over time. There is a ChargePoint commercial dual charger in a shopping center that I use sometimes and one of the units seems to always be down because people break the connector tabs off of the J1772 head.
Replacement plugs on site for the inevitable breakage, I like Sema's retractable cord system as reduces the chance for a head to be left on the ground and ran over by a tire.
Sema does lunch and learns, I'm going to have them come in and do the dog and pony show.
You might want to consider the Wallbox Plusar Plus, up to 48A, which has software ability to lockout use.
That's a really compact unit 👍

Back