Drive System Fault Megathread

...fast forward to yesterday. Had the issue again of the right panel not showing up Again. Did a power cycle and got that lane departure error again, but needed to leave and drive to my errand, but texted customer care. finished my errand so the car had gone through another power cycle and everything was working. Meanwhile, Costa Mesa service center had left me a message. I called them back and said everything was working now. I just had called it in because they appeared to be software glitches that they really need to get fixed.

They told me that they wanted to bring my car into Costa Mesa mid-February as the remote diagnostics indicated some High voltage battery pack power surges and they may have to replace the battery pack. Do not know if all these other little issues were from that or not, but I thought I would put it out there. My car was Delivered in July 2022 and has 27k miles on it now.
It seems to me that your car has a hardware problem, not software. Hope Customer Care identifies it quickly.

Just before Christmas I had a the right screen not load while I was driving some friends to dinner. That was the first time they had been In a Lucid so it was not the best visual for them. i told them it was a software thing and after the car cycled during dinner, it would reset. Well, after dinner, we got in the car and now both the right screen and the pilot panel did not work. I did a reboot the screens came on but got the lane departure warning as noted earlier in the thread:
View attachment 17714
Needless to say, my friends were not impressed and I doubt they would ever buy a Lucid after seeing all these errors. This resolved after I had taken them home and another reboot. A week later I was driving and changed the radio station. The radio station changed, but now I had the old and new station playing at the same time.it Fixed after the reboot but came back another day. We did several reboots while on the phone with customer care. reboots caused me to even loose the ability to control the volume off the steering wheel and roller. They scheduled mobile service to come by In two weeks (mid-January). Frank rolled by. At that time, everything was working fine and no errors were showing up.

fast forward to yesterday. Had the issue again of the right panel not showing up Again. Did a power cycle and got that lane departure error again, but needed to leave and drive to my errand, but texted customer care. finished my errand so the car had gone through another power cycle and everything was working. Meanwhile, Costa Mesa service center had left me a message. I called them back and said everything was working now. I just had called it in because they appeared to be software glitches that they really need to get fixed.

They told me that they wanted to bring my car into Costa Mesa mid-February as the remote diagnostics indicated some High voltage battery pack power surges and they may have to replace the battery pack. Do not know if all these other little issues were from that or not, but I thought I would put it out there. My car was Delivered in July 2022 and has 27k miles on it now.
For what it’s worth, the lane departure warning comes on every single time there is a logo reset or nuke reset; it goes away after a few seconds.

Aloha. Please excuse the comment’s length but this should be of particular interest to Lucid owners (and potential owners) living in Hawaii. I have a 2022 Quantum Grey Lucid Air GT, 19” tires, 15,000 miles.

On 11/15/23, while driving on Oahu, I got a RED drive fault notice on the dashboard (turtle mode), car started to shudder, and instructions to pull over and call Lucid Customer Care (CC). Pulled over to a parking lot and called Lucid CC. We tried to perform a reset several times without success … still show drive fault. CC said I could still drive (under 30 mph) but recommended get it fixed. Lucid CC and Lucid Service Center (SC) coordinated getting tow truck (drove onto tow truck) to take my Lucid and me to my house since Auto Repair shop was not ready to take in my car. On 11/21/23, the tow truck came and transported my Lucid and me to KW Autobody near airport where their rep was there to meet us. Left car with KW Autobody. After a combination of remote and onsite diagnostics, it was determined that the Rear Drive Unit (RDU) needed to be replaced. Specific problem would be identified after RDU sent back to SC. This is covered under the warranty. Because of remoteness of Hawaii and other reasons (e.g. Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays, shipping dates, scheduling, and need for additional equipment, etc.), the actual repair started around 1/22/24. Lucid sent a service technician and he was assisted by KW Autobody technicians. I picked up my car on 1/29/24 and have been happily driving it with no problems J.

Aside from the fact that I did not get to enjoy my Lucid from 11/15/23 to 1/29/24, I have to admit that, under the circumstances, the experience was quite smooth and uneventful:
  • Lucid CC (Angelica) and CS Costa Mesa (Trevor): Since the day I experienced the fault, both CC and CS continually contacted me and tried to resolve the problem, coordinate tow truck, and get in touch with local KW Autobody service shop. They were very responsive and professional and responded quickly to questions I had during the repair process. CS coordinated getting me a loaner from Enterprise Car Rental for the duration of the repair. Enterprise picked me up from my home to their office and brought me to the repair shop to pick up my car after returning the rental car.
  • KW Autobody (Tiffany): Tiffany kept me informed throughout the replacement process. KW Autobody staff assisted the Lucid technician perform the RDU replacement. They also checked the other systems, performed the safety recall (wipers), and detailed my car prior to pick up. Since KW Autobody is the designated service/repair shop for Lucid cars in Hawaii, this was a great opportunity for them to increase their experience/capability for maintaining Lucid vehicles as more Lucid vehicles will be purchased here in the future. They already have experience with EV repair as I noticed a lot of Teslas on their premises.
Mind you, having any Lucid go into “turtle mode” is not a desired experience. However, having a smooth and uneventful repair process – even from remote Hawaii - greatly reduced an otherwise stressful experience.

This is one impressive story and a shining demonstration of Lucid's excellent service, sparing no expenses in their quest for customers' satisfaction.
Hope this story is publicized in some way.

Hi all, picked up my Lucid this week and have loved it so far. Been working remotely so haven’t enjoyed any real drives yet but man she’s pretty to look at.

So today we were set to go on our first longer drive (Brooklyn to Connecticut) and 1 mile into the drive the screen starts flashing and I get two interchanging warnings: Brake System Fault (Drive with caution and contact Customer Care immediately) and Automatic Vehicle Hold Fault (Use brake pedal to hold vehicle and contact Customer Care immediately).

I pulled over and called Customer Care and they’re sending a tow truck. The nearest Service Center (Plainview) is closed on Sunday so sending a third party out to tow.

Anyone experienced this before? Any advice or notes to share with Lucid?

Worst timing as we had some important appointments to get to and this happened out of nowhere. Also have egg in my face as my passengers were so excited to try out the shiny new Lucid 🤦🏽‍♂️

Yes! I had a similar issue about a year ago with my Lucid GT. It wouldn’t start after receiving that message. I was in a supermarket parking lot fortunately.

After having it towed (BTW I live in Stamford CT and it was towed to Natick, MA), it turned out to he a bad relay switch which they had to ship from CA with a CA technician. A week later I received it back. Good as new. A bit frustrating but they said I could rent a car up to $100 a day which made me feel like I was taken care of.

Hi all, picked up my Lucid this week and have loved it so far. Been working remotely so haven’t enjoyed any real drives yet but man she’s pretty to look at.

So today we were set to go on our first longer drive (Brooklyn to Connecticut) and 1 mile into the drive the screen starts flashing and I get two interchanging warnings: Brake System Fault (Drive with caution and contact Customer Care immediately) and Automatic Vehicle Hold Fault (Use brake pedal to hold vehicle and contact Customer Care immediately).

I pulled over and called Customer Care and they’re sending a tow truck. The nearest Service Center (Plainview) is closed on Sunday so sending a third party out to tow.

Worst timing as we had some important appointments to get to and this happened out of nowhere. Also have egg in my face as my passengers were so excited to try out the shiny new Lucid 🤦🏽‍♂️
Hi, @Darkstar19. I just sent you a direct message.

Please keep us posted on what happens with the car. Good luck!

Please keep us posted on what happens with the car. Good luck!
Yup will do. Service is closed today so won’t hear anything until tomorrow earliest. Hoping it’s something minor that they can fix quickly and permanently

Ah crap so sorry to hear about the bad luck! I’ve never heard of that error. Hopefully Lucid has an available loaner to put you in! Where in Brooklyn? I lived in Park Slope and Clinton Hill until 2014. If it’s a relay switch this is a tough thing because I don’t know how aggresively a manufacturer can stress test a small electrical component from a 3rd party. I had a Lin Bus fail which turtled the car, also a 3rd partly electrical component, and Lucid service was outstanding at getting me back on the road with an Uber and a tow and a rental and it was a Sunday evening.

Thanks, hopefully will have a similarly good experience with lucid service (making the best of a bad situation). We were in Crown Heights when it happened so not far from your old hood

Thanks, hopefully will have a similarly good experience with lucid service (making the best of a bad situation). We were in Crown Heights when it happened so not far from your old hood
I grew up in Brooklyn! My whole family still lives down by Brighton Beach/coney Island.

We live just outside of Richmond. There is a Lucid Service center in Mechanicsville which I know goes down to North Carlona to work on cars. They have been very responsive and helpful. I don't think you will have a problem, they are probably about 2 hours from you.

I love my car!!!! We have had minor issues, just recently the heater stopped working. They picked up the car and returned it the next day. I don't think you will regret your decision.
Do you have their contact information? I called the Tyscon Corner Lucid, the took down the information, and two days later still no call back from the Richmond/Mechanicsville Mobile Service Center. Is that normal?

Reviving this thread because there are already scores of them on this subject. On first start up this morning I got the dreaded “Drive System Warning” message in yellow. Called Lucid Customer Care. They recommended I NOT drive the car. Naturally, this is happening on a Sunday so no one from Lucid Service will be contacting me until tomorrow, Monday morning.

Grrr…I was so looking forward to showing off my Lucid Air for the first time, to wealthy family members living in Encinitas CA. These in-laws make a show of being unimpressed by anything if it’s not a BMW.

Attachments

• IMG_9510.jpeg
    IMG_9510.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
I got my car back yesterday. They drove the car for a cumulative 30 miles and said they weren’t able to recreate the error. The best Engineering could determine was the brake and accelerator may have been deployed at the same time causing the error. I don’t know how / if this could have happen as I don’t have bulky floor mats nor a particular wide or dumb (ha) foot but I digress. Sadly, I find myself wanting to baby the car now rather than fully enjoy but hopefully that will subside with time and proven reliability.

Reviving this thread because there are already scores of them on this subject. On first start up this morning I got the dreaded “Drive System Warning” message in yellow. Called Lucid Customer Care. They recommended I NOT drive the car. Naturally, this is happening on a Sunday so no one from Lucid Service will be contacting me until tomorrow, Monday morning.

Grrr…I was so looking forward to showing off my Lucid Air for the first time, to wealthy family members living in Encinitas CA. These in-laws make a show of being unimpressed by anything if it’s not a BMW.
What is you manufacture date?
How many miles?

First time I’ve heard of it happening in a car with that high miles, if it did occur it seemed to usually be early on in ownership. After I’d had my car for 3 weeks I actually got that warning with my dad riding in the car for the first time, power was severely limited to 30mph, I was freaking out and going slow for about 1/2 a mile, and kept trying to floor it with no response, then suddenly flooring it worked, the car took off and that drive system error went away, never saw it again. Maybe it was that contactor issue that was part of a recall and I just cooked it by mashing the throttle repeatedly 🤷‍♂️? It sucks though, hope it gets sorted out or is just a dumb false alert from a software glitch. I bet that reduced efficiency/drain you were seeing was from this drive system issue which finally manifested itself as a fault.

Hi, @Bus Driver. I just sent you a direct message.

Or a base trim white mercedes with beige interior that has less features than a honda civic (don't ask, im sure you already understand) 🤣

Back