Drive system fault

The car will do anything it can to protect the pack. In hot weather, it means excessive fan speeds to cool the pack; in cold weather it means restricting charging speeds until the pack is warm enough to except whatever the charging station can supply. It’s all about safety and the car will choose that every time over allowing you to charge at your desired speed. Pre-conditioning is the answer to help you when you want to charge faster. While in route the car expends excess energy to heat up the pack. It essentially replicates the first few minutes of DCFC without preconditioning to allow you to charge faster.
I have found the Air to be far more cautious than my 2019 MS LR. I am charging currently at an EA, it’s 71 outside, the fans just came out after being plugged in for 15 min. It’s very windy, and yet the car felt the need to turn the fans on at a charging speed of 110 kW and 59% SoC.

If you are in cold climates, it is a big deal. The car will warm the battery up to around 80 degrees before fast charging. In warm areas, it probably makes very little difference. I have no idea how many people know this but I suspect not many since it is not something that new EV owners are taught when they pick up their cars. Hence, it is better to automate it.
Thanks.
Glad we're in Az.

I wonder how many people actually use preconditioning? The few times I've used a DCFC I haven't bothered, as I'm usually stopping for a meal break and am not in that big a hurry.
I have never pre-conditioned. Just never think about doing it. Maybe I will try it on the next trip.

The EQS doesn't have this option., and I wonder if this automated.
Interesting point. I will ask the dealer but doubt that they know!

They told me to charge to 100% , not worrying about longevity or anything, which is actually contradictory to MB manual.

Starting with my first purchase of a Tesla in 2015 I learned not to heed a thing an EV salesperson tells you -- in other words, no different from buying an ICE vehicle.

(I bought that Tesla just as the dual-motor Model S was being introduced. I mentioned to the salesperson that the front trunk was smaller in the dual-motor car. He assured me I was wrong. As they still had some single-motor cars at the sales office, I insisted he accompany me out to the parking lot and open up the frunk of a single-motor car.)

Starting with my first purchase of a Tesla in 2015 I learned not to heed a thing an EV salesperson tells you -- in other words, no different from buying an ICE vehicle.

(I bought that Tesla just as the dual-motor Model S was being introduced. I mentioned to the salesperson that the front trunk was smaller in the dual-motor car. He assured me I was wrong. As they still had some single-motor cars at the sales office, I insisted he accompany me out to the parking lot and open up the frunk of a single-motor car.)
Completely agree.
For ICE, once in a while, I did run into a few seasoned salespersons with reasonable knowledge base.
With EV, if my one experience is indicative of the industry, I'd be worried for the average customer who hasn't done the research.
As for Lucid, from what I've read on the forum, the attention given to owners at delivery and the knowledge of the DA far exceeds the dealership.

My car is back. A little dirty but drives fine. Now I have to decide to keep it or sell it.
Keep it, one of the best driving cars evah!

Update #2 - I've had several chats with the service rep. After substantial diagnostics run by the techs and reviewed by engineering, they think it's a software issue. So the good news is I've been promoted to 2.0.12 AND the turtle icon has disappeared.

Not sure I'm entirely comfortable that software was indeed the issue, but I'd like to think it was/is - so that's what I'm going with. They are going to play with it for another day and if all goes well, I'll have my rocket back by Monday. Fingers Xed! (It's been a LONG 3 weeks, particularly with all the beta chatter.)
She's baaaaaaack. So happy! Now off to play with the new stuff.
1666656461220.png

My Warming Triangle appeared after precondition activation on the way to a 350kW station, not afterwards. With EA connection problems, I actually never used 350kW at all. What these three instances have in common is the Triangle appearing after engaging the precondition.

But, as some others have pointed out, they have preconditioned without event. So, just anecdotes, for now. 😞
Add me to the list of people that just had a major problem with this combination. My first scary experience which fortunately, didn’t end that badly.

Was my first road trip with the Lucid. About 2 hour away from home, decided to try the EA charger. Mainly just to test it and see if it worked since I’ve been having good luck at EA chargers recently.

Navigated to the EA charger so I assume the pre conditioning was going.

Pulled in and plugged into the 350kw charger. Didn’t intentionally pick the 350. Just happened to be the one I pulled into. Was super happy bc it appeared the plug and charge worked. Authenticated and started to charge.

Everything shut off about 15 seconds later and got the dreaded ‘Drive System Fault’.

Called into customer service. Figured I’d need to reboot so prepped for that as I was connecting. Thanks to everyone here for the faraday pouch recommendation. Turned off Bluetooth on my phone, put the fob in the faraday pouch, rolled down the windows, turned on the signal and got out of the car.

Customer care confirmed I was outside and then said they would assist with remote shutdown. He said it was normally 2-3 minutes but because it was a big fault, he was going to give it 5 minutes.

I was picturing how to explain to my wife we would be Uber-ing back home.

Customer Care came back after 5 minutes. I unlocked the car, got back in and everything was fine. Finished our trip there and got back home with no incident.

On the plus side, this is a trip I would have needed to stop for an hour charging with my Tesla. Was able to make this round trip with no stops and still had 150 miles to spare.

Super scary to get that error. Even worse considering I didn’t even need to stop to charge.

May avoid 350kw chargers in future on road trips. For the local chargers, I don’t normally set the navigation and don’t bother with pre conditioning. I’d like to think that’s not the problem but somehow this combo of pre conditioning and 350kw gave me this horrible fault.

I’m on 2.0.18 so apparently this issue still not resolved with that software. Maybe .24 fixes it. We’ll see when I get that update.

I’ll test it out again when my wife is not with me!

Attachments

• F9B60297-52D6-4542-9A2A-093A856C14DF.jpeg
    F9B60297-52D6-4542-9A2A-093A856C14DF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
Add me to the list of people that just had a major problem with this combination. My first scary experience which fortunately, didn’t end that badly.

Was my first road trip with the Lucid. About 2 hour away from home, decided to try the EA charger. Mainly just to test it and see if it worked since I’ve been having good luck at EA chargers recently.

Navigated to the EA charger so I assume the pre conditioning was going.

Pulled in and plugged into the 350kw charger. Didn’t intentionally pick the 350. Just happened to be the one I pulled into. Was super happy bc it appeared the plug and charge worked. Authenticated and started to charge.

Everything shut off about 15 seconds later and got the dreaded ‘Drive System Fault’.

Called into customer service. Figured I’d need to reboot so prepped for that as I was connecting. Thanks to everyone here for the faraday pouch recommendation. Turned off Bluetooth on my phone, put the fob in the faraday pouch, rolled down the windows, turned on the signal and got out of the car.

Customer care confirmed I was outside and then said they would assist with remote shutdown. He said it was normally 2-3 minutes but because it was a big fault, he was going to give it 5 minutes.

I was picturing how to explain to my wife we would be Uber-ing back home.

Customer Care came back after 5 minutes. I unlocked the car, got back in and everything was fine. Finished our trip there and got back home with no incident.

On the plus side, this is a trip I would have needed to stop for an hour charging with my Tesla. Was able to make this round trip with no stops and still had 150 miles to spare.

Super scary to get that error. Even worse considering I didn’t even need to stop to charge.

May avoid 350kw chargers in future on road trips. For the local chargers, I don’t normally set the navigation and don’t bother with pre conditioning. I’d like to think that’s not the problem but somehow this combo of pre conditioning and 350kw gave me this horrible fault.

I’m on 2.0.18 so apparently this issue still not resolved with that software. Maybe .24 fixes it. We’ll see when I get that update.

I’ll test it out again when my wife is not with me!
Man, that's a pretty scary story. Definitely +1 on testing while wife is not with you. I haven't preconditioned my battery once since I heard all the horror stories. Now I plan to avoid 350kw chargers. They're not that fast compare to 150kw anyway.

Man, that's a pretty scary story. Definitely +1 on testing while wife is not with you. I haven't preconditioned my battery once since I heard all the horror stories. Now I plan to avoid 350kw chargers. They're not that fast compare to 150kw anyway.
Coming from a Tesla with only 230 miles of range, I'm extremely happy with the speed of the 150kw chargers. Especially with a low SOC. Getting 200-300 miles of range in 20-30 minutes is awesome.

I don't think Lucid automatically engages pre-conditioning in conjunction with NAV. I think you have to manually start pre-conditioning at this time.
Got it. Applying my Tesla experience where it doesn't belong. Thanks for the clarification.

One difference is that I set it to navigate to the station. Also, these chargers were a different model than what I've used before. Forgot to take a picture. And of course, it was the 350kw charger.

Got it. Applying my Tesla experience where it doesn't belong. Thanks for the clarification.

One difference is that I set it to navigate to the station. Also, these chargers were a different model than what I've used before. Forgot to take a picture. And of course, it was the 350kw charger.
This is coincidental. That issue, if it happens, does not seem to be because of DCFC or preconditioning. Plenty of people who have had the issue (myself included) had not charged at a DC fast charger.

Back