Drive system fault

From a separate thread on the same Turtle mode subject:

Luci said:
7,645 miles. (one of the reasons we felt confident enough to go the distance) We are convinced it has something to do with the pre-conditioning. I have always charged at home from the wall charger, however we preconditioned to use the commercial fast charge system and failure occurred 10 minutes after starting the pre-conditioner. May be a coincidence, we'll have to wait on the report from the service center.

I, too, engaged pre-conditioning for the very first time yesterday, and the Warning Triangle appeared within a minute. Would have been a very serious problem if the car went into Turtle mode right then and there!

we preconditioned to use the commercial fast charge system and failure occurred 10 minutes after starting the pre-conditioner
My rear drive unit failed approximately 10 minutes after starting preconditioning as well! The preconditioning was not part of the explanation I got from the service team (who got it from the engineering team). I was wondering if the RDU was an innocent bystander or the root cause. Can this be a coincidence?

My rear drive unit failed approximately 10 minutes after starting preconditioning as well! The preconditioning was not part of the explanation I got from the service team (who got it from the engineering team). I was wondering if the RDU was an innocent bystander or the root cause. Can this be a coincidence?
I haven’t heard of it being caused by preconditioning, but that does seem coincidental.

I haven’t heard of it being caused by preconditioning, but that does seem coincidental.
At least three reported sequences here, perhaps not just coincidental?

Yesterday, the Warning Triangle appeared at the beginning of 300 mile return trip home. CC was not able to tell me what that warning icon meant -- not specific. Got home OK

Waking up the car this morning at home, the dreaded system warning message to contact CC appeared on the left side of the command panel and the Warning Triangle had been joined by the little Turtle on the right. The horror soundtrack in the background suddenly crescendoed around me and I was arrested in the driver's seat -- breathe, breathe, breathe, ........

Left the car in place and left in my wife's ICE car.

So, my turn to experience this? at 8K miles in? Will see what the service techs say.
that sucks. at least most, if not all, of the recent drive unit failures reports abundent warning before complete failure. only a very few forum members had their car stop running abruptly and all of them experienced it a few months ago or so. hopefully Lucid is on track to find out the root cause and issue a recall.

At least three reported sequences here, perhaps not just coincidental?
i think it's just a coincidence. i have been following this for a while and initially people thought it was caused by 350kW charging but that was wrong.

i think it's just a coincidence. i have been following this for a while and initially people thought it was caused by 350kW charging but that was wrong.
My Warming Triangle appeared after precondition activation on the way to a 350kW station, not afterwards. With EA connection problems, I actually never used 350kW at all. What these three instances have in common is the Triangle appearing after engaging the precondition.

But, as some others have pointed out, they have preconditioned without event. So, just anecdotes, for now. 😞

My Warming Triangle appeared after precondition activation on the way to a 350kW station, not afterwards. With EA connection problems, I actually never used 350kW at all. What these three instances have in common is the Triangle appearing after engaging the precondition.

But, as some others have pointed out, they have preconditioned without event. So, just anecdotes, for now. 😞
Yeah I precondition almost every time before DCFC, 9,200 miles and have not met Mr 🐢 .

Yeah I precondition almost every time before DCFC, 9,200 miles and have not met Mr 🐢 .
I preconditioned today and used a 150kW EA charger because the 350kW one was off-line. No problems… Fingers crossed!

Now I'm scared of pre-conditioning.
Don’t be. I precondition every time. If something is going to happen, it’s going to happen. Until we know more, use the car as you otherwise would if you weren’t on this forum and save yourself the unnecessary anxiety.

Yeah if it was caused by preconditioning the problem would be WAY more prevalent.

I wonder how many people actually use preconditioning? The few times I've used a DCFC I haven't bothered, as I'm usually stopping for a meal break and am not in that big a hurry.

I wonder if anyone knows how common is the practice of pre-conditioning in other EV brands. And how critical is it to do this?

I wonder if anyone knows how common is the practice of pre-conditioning in other EV brands. And how critical is it to do this?
If you are in cold climates, it is a big deal. The car will warm the battery up to around 80 degrees before fast charging. In warm areas, it probably makes very little difference. I have no idea how many people know this but I suspect not many since it is not something that new EV owners are taught when they pick up their cars. Hence, it is better to automate it.

If you are in cold climates, it is a big deal. The car will warm the battery up to around 80 degrees before fast charging. In warm areas, it probably makes very little difference. I have no idea how many people know this but I suspect not many since it is not something that new EV owners are taught when they pick up their cars. Hence, it is better to automate it.
So is the precondition to prevent battery getting a sudden burst of heat from fast charging and possibly failing? The precondition warms up the battery slowly in prep to receive that tremendous heat? I did fast charging only once and without fast charging but the temp was 100 degrees. Since then have only charged at home because we don’t drive long distances and the charging stations are 45 minutes away.

So is the precondition to prevent battery getting a sudden burst of heat from fast charging and possibly failing? The precondition warms up the battery slowly in prep to receive that tremendous heat? I did fast charging only once and without fast charging but the temp was 100 degrees. Since then have only charged at home because we don’t drive long distances and the charging stations are 45 minutes away.
It is the battery chemistry and the mobility of the ions in the battery. It is the high current that will damage the battery at cold temperatures. I am not a chemist or chemical engineer so others may explain this better.

I wonder how many people actually use preconditioning? The few times I've used a DCFC I haven't bothered, as I'm usually stopping for a meal break and am not in that big a hurry.
I’m like you - either forget - or too lazy to press two buttons ;)

Anyhow I need the time to go walk to get my coffee and back

It is the battery chemistry and the mobility of the ions in the battery. It is the high current that will damage the battery at cold temperatures. I am not a chemist or chemical engineer so others may explain this better.
An d my understanding is … the charging power will be restricted until the temperature/battery condition is ready
which might result in a longer charge time

Back