Drive system fault

This is coincidental. That issue, if it happens, does not seem to be because of DCFC or preconditioning. Plenty of people who have had the issue (myself included) had not charged at a DC fast charger.
There you go again. Being rational and calming everyone down. Always a great job to talking folks off the cliff. Thank you!

This is coincidental. That issue, if it happens, does not seem to be because of DCFC or preconditioning. Plenty of people who have had the issue (myself included) had not charged at a DC fast charger.
Understood.

I think one of the problems is this is a fault that covers a wide range of problems. Like a Check Engine Light. Some major, some significantly less so. From what I can gather, people have seen some of the following that triggers this fault.

1. 12v battery issue
2. Motor failure
3. Leaking Fluid
4. My charging scenario.

It certainly looks like the people that get this while driving down the road have a much bigger problem on their hands vs those of us that get the fault after plugging into a charger.

My charging scenario simply required a reboot with nothing else wrong and that charging session (hopefully) not doing any further damage to the car.

It likely is a coincidence. But saying people had a motor failure which caused a Drive System Fault doesn’t preclude those of us with a different series of actions also triggering a Drive System Fault.

It’s happening frequently enough to be reported here that some combination of what we did is causing the car to return a fault.

If it truly isn’t a problem, Lucid should address it so it doesn’t return a fault in the future. If it is causing the car some kind of damage, Lucid should address it so it doesn’t cause the damage.

Since it can be solved with a reboot, it’s a much lower priority problem than many others listed on this board.

To be clear, I’m not upset about this. It’s part and parcel of being an early adopter. Just sharing my experience in the hopes it may be helpful for others.

Main takeaway - get the faraday pouch.

Understood.

I think one of the problems is this is a fault that covers a wide range of problems. Like a Check Engine Light. Some major, some significantly less so. From what I can gather, people have seen some of the following that triggers this fault.

1. 12v battery issue
2. Motor failure
3. Leaking Fluid
4. My charging scenario.

It certainly looks like the people that get this while driving down the road have a much bigger problem on their hands vs those of us that get the fault after plugging into a charger.

My charging scenario simply required a reboot with nothing else wrong and that charging session (hopefully) not doing any further damage to the car.

It likely is a coincidence. But saying people had a motor failure which caused a Drive System Fault doesn’t preclude those of us with a different series of actions also triggering a Drive System Fault.

It’s happening frequently enough to be reported here that some combination of what we did is causing the car to return a fault.

If it truly isn’t a problem, Lucid should address it so it doesn’t return a fault in the future. If it is causing the car some kind of damage, Lucid should address it so it doesn’t cause the damage.

Since it can be solved with a reboot, it’s a much lower priority problem than many others listed on this board.

To be clear, I’m not upset about this. It’s part and parcel of being an early adopter. Just sharing my experience in the hopes it may be helpful for others.

Main takeaway - get the faraday pouch.
1 and 4 are the same, and are all the HV battery/Wunderbox issue, which has nothing to do with the coincidence of charging. 12v is a symptom, not cause. This issue is intermittent and inconsistent, hence why it’ll happen in a wide range of situations until you have your HV battery and Wunderbox replaced. Unfortunately, a minority of people will have this problem, but it appears to be totally fixed after a replacement. I’ve heard it has to do with interference in the Wunderbox, but don’t quote me on that. Luckily, a reboot does let it drive, but it will recur again at some point (hence the need to replace the HV battery / Wunderbox).

Motor failure doesn’t give you the 5 minute message to get off the road, and doesn’t get fixed with a reboot.

Leaking fluid is it’s own thing, too.

1 and 4 are the same, and are all the HV battery/Wunderbox issue, which has nothing to do with the coincidence of charging. 12v is a symptom, not cause. This issue is intermittent and inconsistent, hence why it’ll happen in a wide range of situations until you have your HV battery and Wunderbox replaced. Unfortunately, a minority of people will have this problem, but it appears to be totally fixed after a replacement. I’ve heard it has to do with interference in the Wunderbox, but don’t quote me on that. Luckily, a reboot does let it drive, but it will recur again at some point (hence the need to replace the HV battery / Wunderbox).

Motor failure doesn’t give you the 5 minute message to get off the road, and doesn’t get fixed with a reboot.

So you’re saying since I’ve had it happen, I’m likely to have it happen again until I get the HV battery and Wunderbox replaced?

Will it keep getting resolved with reboots or will it get progressively worse until I’m disabled?

So how does Lucid make the determination that I need the HV battery and Wunderbox replaced? After it happens multiple times? After I’m stuck on the side of the road?

So you’re saying since I’ve had it happen, I’m likely to have it happen again until I get the HV battery and Wunderbox replaced?

Will it keep getting resolved with reboots or will it get progressively worse until I’m disabled?

So how does Lucid make the determination that I need the HV battery and Wunderbox replaced? After it happens multiple times? After I’m stuck on the side of the road?
After it happens once. If you take it to service now, they’ll replace your battery and Wunderbox (if that’s the issue, which it sounds like).

Unclear if subsequent reboots will continue to fix it; I don’t know anyone that hasn’t taken it to service to have it fixed after the first time. I rebooted and drove it straight to service (after calling) and they had a rental ready and waiting.

Got it. I’ll check with service.

I was able to park for a few hours and then drive home without incident so we’ll see what they say.

Wonder if they can pull diagnostics remotely.

Just a little follow up to this. Talked to Service and they're saying my issue is not the Wunderbox/ battery issue. Or at least, they don't think it is. Since I did not have the catastrophic failure while driving and no turtle mode, they're speculating mine is part of the ongoing software connection glitches with EA.

Basically, the very scary error I got could actually be something very scary or could just be something very minor. Not dissimilar to the Check Engine Light example, there are a number of things that can cause that error to come on the screen. In this case, they're saying something with that charge session made the car unhappy. Since it corrected after reboot, they're less concerned about it. They said the major errors usually won't clear after a reboot and if they do, they'll come back quickly.

It's been driving fine. They're going to come do a more thorough check next time the mobile service person comes to the area. But in the meantime, they told me to keep driving it. If it happens again at a charger or obviously, if I get a turtle mode failure while driving, it'll then get hauled to service and then we'll see if it needs the battery and Wunderbox replacement.

Pulled in and plugged into the 350kw charger. Didn’t intentionally pick the 350. Just happened to be the one I pulled into. Was super happy bc it appeared the plug and charge worked. Authenticated and started to charge.

Everything shut off about 15 seconds later and got the dreaded ‘Drive System Fault’.
FWIW I just had this happen to me. Same EA station I've used ~20 times over 6 months without a single problem. Connected, authenticated, started to charge, shut off after ~15 seconds with "Drive System Fault" (note: no turtle). I did a reboot and the fault cleared. Tried again at the same box with the same result. Rebooted and went home. Charging fine at home now. 🤷‍♂️

(350kw box, Air GT, 2.0.24, 6k miles)

FWIW I just had this happen to me. Same EA station I've used ~20 times over 6 months without a single problem. Connected, authenticated, started to charge, shut off after ~15 seconds with "Drive System Fault" (note: no turtle). I did a reboot and the fault cleared. Tried again at the same box with the same result. Rebooted and went home. Charging fine at home now. 🤷‍♂️

(350kw box, Air GT, 2.0.24, 6k miles)
Thanks for sharing. Good and bad to have more data points I suppose.

It hasn't happened to me again since then. Been another 700+ miles. I haven't been back to that EA station but have been to others without incident. I haven't been successful using the closer 350kw so my other EA sessions have been 150kw only.

Do you recall doing anything different? Was this the same charger at the same EA station. Had you used 350kw before? Have you used 350kw at any other station? Pre-conditioning? Set navigation to the charger? Software update?

We're unlikely to isolate anything but can't hurt to try. I've spoken with service and customer care a few times since then and have polled each person. They're all saying the same thing. Likely some kind of software connect glitch. Reset and move on.

If it happens to you again, would you mind trying a 150kw charger at the same station?

Do you recall doing anything different? Was this the same charger at the same EA station. Had you used 350kw before? Have you used 350kw at any other station? Pre-conditioning? Set navigation to the charger? Software update?
I charged at the same station exactly a week ago. I'm almost certain I used the exact, same device, without issue for 24 minutes. I've done maybe 20 EA charge sessions on the Lucid, at 5 different stations. This is the lone problem (I am one of the lucky ones on that front, I gather). Maybe 17 of those were 350kw devices. I always precondition. I almost never set navigation to the charger. I forget if I installed 2.0.24 in the past week or before that.

I'll try a 150kw if it happens again. Good thinking and kudos for the detective work!

I just got the dreaded drive system fault myself yesterday. I've had the car for a little over a week and even did a road trip! Here' how my story happened...I was pulling out of my driveway, dash lit up with warning and then everything shut off in less than 15sec. I called support and after awhile got the car on again and within 30 sec, it happened again (picture attached). Glad this didnt happen while I was on my roadtrip this weekend!

The rep on the phone said they would tow the car to a service center near me to get addressed. Lucky for me I had a tech coming to look at another issue (gps not recognizing that car is moving) and I txtd him, and he said he would get back to me. Turns out there isnt a center anywhere near me and they were about to tow the car to a certified body shop, lol. Im glad I sent the tech a txt and he was able to clear up that part. He is coming today to check out the car so I will keep you all posted.

Attachments

• 20221115_120014.jpg
    20221115_120014.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
I just got the dreaded drive system fault myself yesterday. I've had the car for a little over a week and even did a road trip! Here' how my story happened...I was pulling out of my driveway, dash lit up with warning and then everything shut off in less than 15sec. I called support and after awhile got the car on again and within 30 sec, it happened again (picture attached). Glad this didnt happen while I was on my roadtrip this weekend!

The rep on the phone said they would tow the car to a service center near me to get addressed. Lucky for me I had a tech coming to look at another issue (gps not recognizing that car is moving) and I txtd him, and he said he would get back to me. Turns out there isnt a center anywhere near me and they were about to tow the car to a certified body shop, lol. Im glad I sent the tech a txt and he was able to clear up that part. He is coming today to check out the car so I will keep you all posted.
Ugh. So sorry to hear this.

The Drive System Fault while driving appears to be a much more significant issue than the Drive System Fault I, and several others, have g while stationary/ charging.

Good luck and let us know what the fix is. Hopefully they can get it done relatively quickly.

Ugh. So sorry to hear this.

The Drive System Fault while driving appears to be a much more significant issue than the Drive System Fault I, and several others, have g while stationary/ charging.

Good luck and let us know what the fix is. Hopefully they can get it done relatively quickly.
Thanks! So the tech came out and was able to resolve the GPS issue by disconnecting the TCU and reconnecting it. Atleast this issue is resolved as he drove it around a few miles.

Now onto the bigger problem...apparently from what the tech said, the fault didnt register any errors that stood out to him, so he submitted them to a higher up tech who said something along the lines of he was shocked the car was still driving after analyzing the codes that were backed up before clearing and the ones that came up after clearing? Very disconcerting. The tech then submitted all the evidence to yet another team who will review everything and in the meantime was told to basically not drive it until I hear back on next steps in the next 24 - 48 hours. More to come as I hear more....

Thanks! So the tech came out and was able to resolve the GPS issue by disconnecting the TCU and reconnecting it. Atleast this issue is resolved as he drove it around a few miles.

Now onto the bigger problem...apparently from what the tech said, the fault didnt register any errors that stood out to him, so he submitted them to a higher up tech who said something along the lines of he was shocked the car was still driving after analyzing the codes that were backed up before clearing and the ones that came up after clearing? Very disconcerting. The tech then submitted all the evidence to yet another team who will review everything and in the meantime was told to basically not drive it until I hear back on next steps in the next 24 - 48 hours. More to come as I hear more....
Thanks for reporting this, yours sounds unique. I’ve had a drive system error warning which I can actually reproduce by driving under a bridge near me that has a tractor trailer toll station assembly under it. The car still drives, always cured by a reboot. There’s definitely a potential for certain sensors to throw a false error, I hope yours turns out to also be a false one!

I hope so, but I've driven up and down my driveway a bunch of times without a problem. I really hope its just a bad senor, but, that being said...I am now a bit worried about having my car just shut off and instantly stop on the highway because of tractor trailer toll stations! Haha

I hope so, but I've driven up and down my driveway a bunch of times without a problem. I really hope its just a bad senor, but, that being said...I am now a bit worried about having my car just shut off and instantly stop on the highway because of tractor trailer toll stations! Haha
Oh it’s a false alert, the car drives like normal. It just says pull over and call customer service but you don’t need to, reboot fixed it.

Update: They will be picking up the car and shipping it to a service centef after they order a new high voltage battery. They will be picking up the car sometime after Thanksgiving

Update: They will be picking up the car and shipping it to a service centef after they order a new high voltage battery. They will be picking up the car sometime after Thanksgiving
Glad they’re ordering a new HV battery for you now, before even bringing the car in. Did they order a new Wunderbox to go with it?

How many miles does your car have on it?

Back