Dream Drive versus Dream Drive Pro

So anyone with industry knowledge or who has done more research care to chime in on how much faster Lucid will reach L3 now that they are using NVIDIA?

So anyone with industry knowledge or who has done more research care to chime in on how much faster Lucid will reach L3 now that they are using NVIDIA?

My assumption is that Lucid has already been using NVIDIA DRIVE in some capacity and just now announced/confirmed it at NVIDIA's conference reaffirming to attendees that big names are using their proprietary hardware and APIs. See quote below from Lucid:

...building on NVIDIA DRIVE Hyperion technology – a powerful software-defined platform already integrated in every Lucid Air on the road today.
src: https://www.lucidmotors.com/media-r...itter&utm_campaign=dreamdrive-nvidia-20220322

The ONLY reason I'd shell 100k+ for a Lucid is to DRIVE it...if they gave me PRO I'd never engage.

Pay 9k more to have HAL* drive the car for me??

* C/F Stanley Kubrick ....

The ONLY reason I'd shell 100k+ for a Lucid is to DRIVE it...if they gave me PRO I'd never engage.

Pay 9k more to have HAL* drive the car for me??

* C/F Stanley Kubrick ....
Yes because as fun as it is to drive, when you are doing a long ass stretch on the 5...there is no joy in that at all

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 9.11.57 PM.png

This doesn't mention Adaptive Cruise Control, but I assume it is standard. If they make it so that ACC re-engages after coming to a stop from the car in front of you coming to a stop automatically, then I probably won't buy DDP.

View attachment 1173

This doesn't mention Adaptive Cruise Control, but I assume it is standard. If they make it so that ACC re-engages after coming to a stop from the car in front of you coming to a stop automatically, then I probably won't buy DDP.
It requires you to click the trigger up

Yes because as fun as it is to drive, when you are doing a long ass stretch on the 5...there is no joy in that at all
I had a long stretch on the 405 before adaptive cruise was activated. I rarely use cruise on the open road, but I really wanted it on the 405.

My assumption is that Lucid has already been using NVIDIA DRIVE in some capacity and just now announced/confirmed it at NVIDIA's conference reaffirming to attendees that big names are using their proprietary hardware and APIs. See quote below from Lucid:

src: https://www.lucidmotors.com/media-r...itter&utm_campaign=dreamdrive-nvidia-20220322

Good article in Electrek about the NVIDIA platform. It seems that most car manufacturers are using it, with Tesla being the notable exception, as they already have their own FSD computer. :) Mercedes, which just introduced Level 3 autonomous driving, uses the NVIDIA system, but it seems to be backed up by a lot of proprietary data and software. Personally, I think Mercedes’s approach to Level 3 is very smart. Unfortunately, it’s only found in a Mercedes S-class and EQS at this point.

It sounds like NVIDIA has a new chip called the Drive ORIN capable of 200+ trillion operations per second. I think this chip might be too new to be found in the Lucid but would be happy to be wrong. The prior version does about 30 trillion operations per second, while Tesla’s FSD does 144 trillion. Of course, the chip isn’t enough. Road data helps, and it’s unclear if NVIDIA will share accumulated road data amongst its clients. NVIDIA’s AI algorithms are open source though.

Good article in Electrek about the NVIDIA platform. It seems that most car manufacturers are using it, with Tesla being the notable exception, as they already have their own FSD computer. :) Mercedes, which just introduced Level 3 autonomous driving, uses the NVIDIA system, but it seems to be backed up by a lot of proprietary data and software. Personally, I think Mercedes’s approach to Level 3 is very smart. Unfortunately, it’s only found in a Mercedes S-class and EQS at this point.

It sounds like NVIDIA has a new chip called the Drive ORIN capable of 200+ trillion operations per second. I think this chip might be too new to be found in the Lucid but would be happy to be wrong. The prior version does about 30 trillion operations per second, while Tesla’s FSD does 144 trillion. Of course, the chip isn’t enough. Road data helps, and it’s unclear if NVIDIA will share accumulated road data amongst its clients. NVIDIA’s AI algorithms are open source though.
If Lucid is saying they will be able to do FSD in the future, wouldn't it almost necessitate that they are using the new NVIDIA Orin chip?

If Lucid is saying they will be able to do FSD in the future, wouldn't it almost necessitate that they are using the new NVIDIA Orin chip?

Well, the older chip (Xavier) was supposed to be capable of Level 5 autonomy, too. From the timelines, I’m almost sure this is what‘s in the Air. But I’m guessing that more computational horsepower is better. I’m more concerned about where Lucid is going to get their data from. We’re each going to have to drive a lot of miles In our Airs to help Lucid out!

Well, the older chip (Xavier) was supposed to be capable of Level 5 autonomy, too. But I’m guessing that more computational horsepower is better. I’m more concerned about where Lucid is going to get their data from. We’re each going to have to drive a lot of miles In our Airs to help Lucid out!
As part of using their systems wouldn't NVIDIA put some language in their agreement somewhere about sharing/pooling data obtained by sensors?

As part of using their systems wouldn't NVIDIA put some language in their agreement somewhere about sharing/pooling data obtained by sensors?

I’m not a software guy, so I’m way past the limit of my expertise. But it’s been interesting reading about the NVIDIA system.

And it does look like the NVIDIA system includes some kind of crowdsourcing for mapping data.

I’m not a software guy, so I’m way past the limit of my expertise. But it’s been interesting reading about the NVIDIA system.

And it does look like the NVIDIA system includes some kind of crowdsourcing for mapping data.

Oh yea, this sounds like the part here.

The AI-based crowdsource engine gathers map updates from millions of cars, constantly uploading new data to the cloud as the vehicles drive. The data is then aggregated at full fidelity in NVIDIA Omniverse and used to update the map, providing the real-world fleet fresh over-the-air map updates within hours

There are millions of miles of data already open sourced and available called KITTI. However, Lucid may want to limit their data they train their models on to their own recorded data so that it comes from their sensors and thus the model is most accurate and privvy to their sensor data.

I think the Orin chip (Hyperion archtecture) is already in all current Lucid Airs, see extract from press release on Lucid Motors website. This chip was actually announced by Nvidia in 2019 for 2022 model year cars.

• Lucid’s DreamDrive Pro advanced driver-assistance system features 32 sensors on the vehicle and has been designed to grow in capability over time with software delivered to vehicles over-the-air
  • Lucid’s in-house DreamDrive software stack runs on the NVIDIA DRIVE platform, delivering incredible computing power for advanced features
  • NVIDIA DRIVE Hyperion centralized compute architecture is integrated into the DreamDrive Pro ADAS suite of every Lucid Air on the road today
  • Lucid plans to further collaborate with NVIDIA on future products

I think the Orin chip (Hyperion archtecture) is already in all current Lucid Airs, see extract from press release on Lucid Motors website. This chip was actually announced by Nvidia in 2019 for 2022 model year cars.

• Lucid’s DreamDrive Pro advanced driver-assistance system features 32 sensors on the vehicle and has been designed to grow in capability over time with software delivered to vehicles over-the-air
  • Lucid’s in-house DreamDrive software stack runs on the NVIDIA DRIVE platform, delivering incredible computing power for advanced features
  • NVIDIA DRIVE Hyperion centralized compute architecture is integrated into the DreamDrive Pro ADAS suite of every Lucid Air on the road today
  • Lucid plans to further collaborate with NVIDIA on future products
Does anyone know (yet) how this compares to Tesla FSD suite of hardware? And/or how much data NVIDIA has already in terms of the DRIVE MAP? They said in one of their blogs that the system is able to generate a 3D map of the roads within 5 cm due. Is this what is necessary to achieve L3 and beyond?

In terms of raw computing power the Nvidia Orin chip specs out at 200 trillion operations per second vs. 144 trillion operations per second for Tesla‘s current FSD computer (FSD HW3). Orin is Nvidia’s Hyperion 8 platform and is really only advertised to provide level 3 driving and level 4 parking autonomous capabilities. They originally claimed level 3 to level 5 driving for Orin, but have since scaled back all of their autonomous level projections. The next Nvidia DRIVE platform announced this week is Hyperion 9 using multiple Atlan chips projected to have more than double the chip computing power of Orin. Hyperion 9 is scheduled for 2026 model year vehicles and be capable of level 4 autonomous driving. Tesla is scheduled to release their next FSD computer 2 (FSD HW4) with production of the Cybertruck in 2023, and is estimated to have 4 times the computing power of the current FSD computer.

Back